Goggles on helmet with brim

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Goggles on helmet with brim

Postby JerryS » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:54 pm

I need a new helmet, and would like one with a brim. Given Giro seems to fit my head the best it will likely be the Seam. I generally use the Smith I/O goggle. Wondering if it will stay up on the helmet when I move it up above the brim, given the angle of the helmet in that location. Don't ski that way often, but nice for the ride up if it's not too bright out. Any experience, any advice?
JerryS

Re: Goggles on helmet with brim

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:45 pm

I usually ski in a Sweet Trooper, and my goggles stay up fine if I put them about halfway up the little lip in the front, so they're roughly balanced on it. I don't use the full visor option, as that seems like it would just be a nuisance and catch wind.
dan.boisvert

Postby JerryS » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks Dan, I guess the moral of the story is look for a smaller brim than the Giro Seam.
JerryS

Postby Icanski » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:35 pm

I saw a helmet that had the goggles integrated on the helmet like a fighter pilot helmet. They just slid down and snapped in place. There was a bit of foam at the bottom to go against the face, but I couldn't find one that sized right and didn't have a big gap. Cool idea, looked kind of neat, but for me, the wind would just blow in from the bottom and certainly have my eyes watering in no time. more tinkering required.
http://www.osbeusa.com/ Look like something from Blade runner. LIke a motorcycle helmet.
Icanski

Postby Hobbit » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:21 pm

I ski in OSBE helmet with interchangeable visors for past 3 years and I like it a lot. The vision field is much better than with any goggles and I do not experience any wind effects.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby DougD » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 am

Hobbit wrote:I ski in OSBE helmet with interchangeable visors for past 3 years and I like it a lot. The vision field is much better than with any goggles and I do not experience any wind effects.

Looks very cool. Any particular model that you'd recommend? How are they during a heavy, wet dump?
DougD

Postby Hobbit » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:00 pm

I have Angel Devil which is a leather wrapped version of the Proton Sr. I think both are a good choice. I see that OSBE have a new model design (Majic) with the visor going inside the helmet. I am not sure if it's good because the helmet shell must be larger to accommodate the visor going inside. My old helmet (Ovo brand) was oversized since it was one size fits all design and the fitting done by internal inserts. It was not aesthetically pleasing because of this oversized look.

I don't have much experience in heavy wet snow ( I guess we don't have those conditions in Colorado ;) ) but I read other people saying it's OK. The Proton style design also allows for removing the visor and using the goggles with it and it has the goggles clip loop in the back. Fogging - wise I can compare it to the top level Smith OTG goggles with fan which I use sometimes. Both are good but there is no 100% fogging proof solution. I like the visor behavior better. If it fogs a little when I ski too hard it's really easy to de - fog the visor by flipping it partially while on the chairlift. Also beware that in their company WEB store the Protons are selling in $300+ range but on EBay you can get those for around $200 or less.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby DougD » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:01 am

Thanks, Hobbit. Good feedback.

Now we gotta get you back East to test your gear in real-world conditions. :twisted:
DougD

Postby arothafel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 am

So, do these helmets allow for a person to wear prescription sunglasses -- and then, just flip down the visor? Looks like there would be plenty of room..
arothafel

Postby Hobbit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:58 am

arothafel wrote:So, do these helmets allow for a person to wear prescription sunglasses -- and then, just flip down the visor? Looks like there would be plenty of room..

Yes, this was one of the reasons I got it. The helmet comes with two visors the dark smoke and yellow. You can also buy the mirror polarized light grey (I have one as well) and clear visors separately. I mostly use the dark smoke visor.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby theorist » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:09 am

I can use a much lighter lens with my goggles than my wrap-around shades, because the goggles block all scattered light -- nothing coming up from the bottom. For me, this gives a relaxing feeling in my eyes. How are the OSBE's in this respect, since while they're open on the bottom, the opening is pretty far down?

OTOH, I on warm, sunny days I prefer my wrap-around shades, because I don't get fogging from perspiration. How well do the OSBE's do vs. shades for ventilation?
theorist

Postby Hobbit » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:37 pm

The visor is not open on the bottom. There is a strip of foam held by adhesive to the inside of the visor. So there is no light coming from the bottom. This foam also protects from excessive wind.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby krazzy legs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:56 am

I use a smith helmet that has max ventilation adjustment along with the Smith goggles that have the fan & I just love the combo. The helmet is designed with a brim to prevent snow from landing on top of goggles & to allow for airflow. Goggles are over the glasses type so farther away from face witch helps prevent fogging. Along with the fan these goggles seldom fog up on me. Before I would waist a lot of time having to go inside to defog goggles. Helmet & goggles very practical combo for skiing i.e., light, comfortable, good visability & temperature control.
krazzy legs

Return to Gear