A Pretty Good Deal... If They Fit...

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

A Pretty Good Deal... If They Fit...

Postby arothafel » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:11 pm

Look what I found on Ebay...! Pretty good deal if want Dodge Boots and are the right size.... $199/offer Size 24.5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Carbon-Alpine-Ski-Boots-MP-24-5-US-6-5-Custom-Downhill-/351262018976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c8d90da0

arothafel

Re: A Pretty Good Deal... If They Fit...

Postby theorist » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:59 pm

Sold! They're returnable, so if they don't work for me I'll post here to give someone else a shot. Any way to tell from the pic what year they are (the seller didn't know)?
theorist

Postby jbotti » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:58 pm

Know in advance that almost everyone sizes down 1 full size in the Dodges. I skied the 26 and it was the right size and I ski a 27 in Heads.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby theorist » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Yeah, I've read that, which is why I made sure they're returnable. Though I vaguely recall B.D. saying some downsize, some don't. And it's not quite a full size different, right? I.e., isn't that why Harald got caught between sizes on his?
theorist

Postby jbotti » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:56 pm

Harald is between sizes in Heads and in Dodges. For me it was a full size and this was the case for most.
jbotti

Postby theorist » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:16 am

Ah, so the difference is that you can stretch the length of the Heads but not the Dodges? :

jbotti wrote:Harald....has moved back to Heads because of fit which I can also say is a factor for me as well (95mm last versus 98mm for Dodge). Harald is between sizes in the Dodges. The 26 is too big and he skis the 25 but he can't straighten his toes which can only work for so long.
theorist

Postby jbotti » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:28 am

Diana got me 1-2mm in the front of my dodges which made a nice difference. Dodge says you can't grind or stretch the front but by using the same tool they use for stretching the sides you can get a little bit of toe room (but not a lot). Yes on plastic plug boots (which have thick plastic) you can easily get 5-8mm of additional toe room and more if necessary.
jbotti

Postby theorist » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks for the extra info. So, last question -- for your size 26 Dodges you would use a size 27 aftermarket liner [was going to edit my earlier post to add this, but you answered too fast! :)] ?
theorist

Postby jbotti » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:28 am

Yes I used a size 27 Nordica Foam liner in my 26 Dodges and they fit my Dodges perfectly.

As you will soon learn getting in and out of the dodges with anything other than the Dodge stock liner can be difficult. The best and easiest approach is to put the liners on first and go in race style using silicon spray. Not everyone is able to do this. The other solutions aren't as good (like cutting the backs of the liners).

Supposedly the new generation Dodge has more room to get in and out so maybe its better now.
jbotti

Postby Hobbit » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:34 pm

I ski Dodge's in 24.5 and use Head race liner 25.5. I can get in / out with no problem. The original liners lasted 2 weeks and after that I got severe pain in the heel since the foam in the liner crumbled and the heel was hitting hard plastic. Head liners lasted three seasons and now I am on the second pair and am very happy with them.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby DougD » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:51 am

Theorist, if they don't work out, PM me and I'll buy them.

I ski a 25.5 in a Lange, so if the "downsize one full size for a Dodge" rule applies, they might work. A 98mm last should also be about right. I can't ski a 95mm lasted Lange without lots of punching/stretching. I'm currently in a 25.5/98mm and the fit is good (for a non-race fit).

Have fun, let us know how they work out!
DougD

Postby geoffda » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Those are V2 with the Kevlar reinforced carbon uppers, the improved power strap, and (I believe) the second generation liner which was more durable. Definitely a steal if you have the right foot...
geoffda

Postby theorist » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:21 pm

Will do, Doug.

Geoffda, any way to tell the specific model year? I understand last year they improved the ski-ability over the year before by reducing or eliminating the outward deflection of the cuff, to take away some of the abruptness at initiation (or something like that - they call it a "mellow mod").
theorist

Postby docmartin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:19 am

I ski a 26 zipfit gara in a 25 dodge. First it seemed like it would not work but I got pretty good at getting my foot in and out. I can't do it racer style so the liner stays in the boot. that is probably a good thing. the dodge eats liners. i can't imagine my liner surviving a season if I went in and out racer style every ski day (not to mention what it would do to my hotronics).

At this point the getting out part is the biggest issue for me. each time the tongue gets caught between the different parts of the dodge shell and needs to be finagled back into the boot after my foot is out. with the very sharp and abrasive edges of the dodge shell this is very hard on the liner. I have gotten better at it but rather than eternal life I have a feeling my zipfit is looking at a rather limited lifespan. Also, the few times I have removed the zipfits (eg to install my hotronics) I have never managed to reinsert them without getting bloody knuckles. This can probably be avoided with more practice (or gloves) and the original dodge liner is definitely easier. you learn to live with all this because the way it skis makes it all worthwhile. I have to admit that I am very surprised that some, most prominently Harald, have gone back to "rubber" boots. It would make me cry if I had to.
docmartin

Postby krazzy legs » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:19 am

The bottom buckle latch is some what sharp & sticks out a little resulting in wear of the shells. I used a file & rounded off the sharp edge to help prevent wear to the out side of the shell on the big toe side of the boot.
krazzy legs

Next

Return to Gear