Head i Supershape with Rocker?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head i Supershape with Rocker?

Postby Eiszapfen » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:19 am

Hello,

I'm looking for a new pair of skis at the moment as my current ones are quite old (rossignol 9s tpower 167cm). On his website Harald recommends the Head iSupershape Speed, so I read about it on Head's website and saw that they use some kind of speed rocker. Now I'm wondering what kind of rocker that is, because I know there was a discussion about rocker on this forum an most pmts skiers refused it.
A week ago I tested the K2 Velocity (according to K2 it also is a speed rocker) just for fun for a few hours and I can't say I liked it. I didn't think that it would be such different to my own skis but it was. If I set my skis on the edge I immediately feel like I'm on rails... it wasn't like that with the K2. The K2 were like an invitation for twisting...
That's why actually don't want to buy skis with rocker.
Some complementing info about me: This is my second season with pmts (working with all 3 books). I weigh 154lbs with a height of 71.65 inches. I'm also wondering which length I should choose if I go for the Supershape.
BTW: Are previous seasons' supershape models also fine?

Best regards!
Eiszapfen

Re: Head i Supershape with Rocker?

Postby Mac » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:05 pm

This year's and last year's SS's are the same ski, save for a change in the binding/plate. I've skied this year's and last year's back to back, and I can't tell the difference. I agree with you, with most rocker skis, it is noticeable right away. Not the case with the new SS's. Head calls it Rocker done Right. A combination of rocker, rebound, and radius, according to them. I've also heard it called "marketing rocker" because there is some debate over whether there actually is any rocker there at all. I can't say for sure, but all I know is whatever they are doing, it works. I haven't skied the SS Speed, they are hard to come by even here in New England. But I have skied the Magnum, Rally, and Titan pretty extensively, and I can tell you they are a ton of fun. And oddly enough, even though they are supposed to be the same construction despite the different waist width, they all have a different personality, so I would try before you buy. But I would say your height/weight would put you squarely on a 170, but I know next to nothing about your ability level. There are other people here on the Forum that know more about this stuff than I do, so don't take my opinion for anything more than that.
Mac

Postby Jjmdane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Does anyone know how the new SS I speed differs from the model from 2 to 3 years ago. I have the white SS I speed in a 184 and love the way it reacts. I think the waist is narrower on the new version but I wonder if it skis the same as the model that it replaced.
Jjmdane

Postby Mac » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:35 pm

My answer to that is that I don't know. I do know that the Speed of a few years ago (the white and black ones) had a waist of 68mm, the new Speeds are 66mm. I also know that the newer Supershape line from the last two seasons is an entirely different ski that the previous ones. As I said, I have no experience with the new iSpeed, but the new Magnums and Titans are quite different than the older versions. I did not mention the Rally, because it is a relatively new ski, there is no predecessor to compare it to. I know this doesn't help with your original question. But it makes sense that if the Titan and Magnum are very different skis, than the same is probably true for the iSpeeds. But there are enough people on this forum that have had experience with both, so someone should be able to help you out.
Mac

Postby Jjmdane » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Anybody have any impressions from skiing the new i Rally?
Jjmdane

Postby CO_Steve » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Well, YMMV but I hated the Rally. Difficult to tip, didn't like to vary turn shape. Not for me.

I've spent the last couple of days on my new Elan SLX Race. Got these last spring but didn't ski them after the demo as coverage hasn't been that great.
Wow, I really like this ski. Everyone I ski with say my skiing has improved on this one. Rock solid carving without race ski demanding.
CO_Steve

Postby Hobbit » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Are these the latest asymmetrical design SLX with camber on inside edge and rocker on the outside?
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby CO_Steve » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:54 pm

No, last years without all the goodies.
CO_Steve

Return to Gear