Wood glue or silicone for mounting bindings ?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Wood glue or silicone for mounting bindings ?

Postby krazzy legs » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:23 pm

When mounting bindings I have always got the binding techie to use silicone instead of wood glue to mount the binding so they are easier to take off. Last mount I forget to tell techie not to use glue & screw broke when I tried taking off binding to put on rock skis. Now I have to get the screw out of ski when I want to put bindings back on the skis. The techie said they only use wood glue so water does not get into ski. Would silicon not do just as good a job for keeping water out i.e., spray silicone spray to protect wood then fill the hole with silicone rubbery gel stuff then put in screws before silicone dries. Should shops be using wood glue that makes taking the binding off or silicone ?
krazzy legs

Re: Wood glue or silicone for mounting bindings ?

Postby HighAngles » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Don't go there (silicone that is).

There isn't a tech (or anyone else experienced with binding mounts) that would use silicone for a mount. Wood glue is generally very similar to the "real" binding mount glues that are available. "Serious" mounts sometimes use marine epoxy.

There's no way that the use of wood glue would have caused you to be unable to pull the bindings from the skis. You must have just had a faulty screw or something else peculiar in this situation. I have probably mounted and pulled bindings for well over 100 binding mounts and never had a screw break.
HighAngles

Postby kirtland » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:24 am

Krazzy Legs,
I Have been mounting bindings since I first worked in the Rental shop at the Mt Shasta Ski Bowl in 1964, later working as a Tech for House of Ski.
Stick with a glue, the glue not only keeps water out, it acts like Loktite to keep the screws from vibrating loose.
The trick to removing screws that the glue will not allow to release, is to place your screwdriver in the recess of the screw and to apply heat to the shaft of the screwdriver with a heat gun. Apply torque to the screwdriver and as the glue softens the screw will release. This works with Loktite and Epoxy also.
I'll point out here that most binding screws are Pozidriv, which look like Phillips drive, but take a specific Pozidriv screwdriver. a Phillips drive will fit loosely and tend to strip out.
I also recommend using Wera Lasertip screwdrivers, they have an etched tip which does not slip easily. For difficult to remove screws, in lieu of a Wera Lasertip you can use a product like Screw-Medic, or make your own out of carborundum powder (from a lapidary supply) and oil.
kirtland

Postby Max_501 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:00 am

HighAngles wrote:There isn't a tech (or anyone else experienced with binding mounts) that would use silicone for a mount.

What's wrong with silicone glue?

See this tech manual -

http://www.goode.com/ssbindings.html

5) Partially fill the holes with a waterproof glue (white glue) that is not water-based, or epoxy, before installing the screws. This will seal the hole. We recommend GE Silicone II Household Glue, stock number GE280, available at most hardware stores.

and this one for what sounds like an AT binding mount -

http://www.movementskis.com/files/5213/ ... ENT_EN.pdf

The drilling MUST be done with an adequate ski drill with a
diameter of 3.5mm; a maximum drill’s depth of 8mm.

Use a Silicon glue in order to get a waterproof resistance and
a perfect fastening of the binding.
Max_501

Postby theorist » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Max_501 wrote:
HighAngles wrote:There isn't a tech (or anyone else experienced with binding mounts) that would use silicone for a mount.

What's wrong with silicone glue?

The term "silicone" is kind of like "plastic" -- it's a broad term that covers a range of different formulations and chemistries. With regard to your question, here's what I recall from my reading: There's two key classes of hardware-store silicone glues: those that release acetic acid when they cure (hence the vinegar smell), and those that release ammonia. You don't want to use the former (maybe because the acetic acid can corrode the screws?), but the latter type is acceptable. The GE Silicone II, I believe, releases ammonia. Not sure why Movement doesn't specify the Silicone II -- if you're curious, you could email them.

The safest thing is to check with the manufacturer(s) -- that way whatever curing agent the glue releases is not incompatible with whatever materials are used in the ski core and binding screws. Though if you're looking for something universal, this may do: http://www.slidewright.com/svst-binding ... ealant.php
theorist

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:38 pm

theorist wrote:You don't want to use the former (maybe because the acetic acid can corrode the screws?), but the latter type is acceptable.

Source?
Max_501

Postby CO_Steve » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:10 am

My understanding is the acetic acid can break down the foam used in some ski cores.

Source: Read it on the internet.
CO_Steve

Return to Gear