Dodge boot how to cut foam liner ?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Dodge boot how to cut foam liner ?

Postby krazzy legs » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi guys I live close to Winnipeg no one sells Dodge ski boots in that area. Which foam liner should I use to replace stock liner as well if the back is cut to let foot slide in wont the liners fall apart or do they have to be sewn/tapped to add strength along edges where cut ?

Thanks Krazzy legs
krazzy legs

Re: Dodge boot how to cut foam liner ?

Postby jbotti » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:15 pm

I skied the Dodge with a cut foam liner for several seasons. I used the Nordica foam liner which still think is the best one out there. Non stock dodge liners come with a variety of issues the biggest being that carbon fiber does not give as does plastic so the second you use a liner that doesn't allow you to use the heel channel that is built into the Dodge shell, you will have some issues getting in and out of the boot. The best solution with a foam liner is go in and out of the boot race style. Many people are able to do this consistently (Harald had no problem and Irwin Hamilton uses foam liners in his Dodges and enters and exits race style). If you can do this there is no reason to cut the liners and this is far and away the best solution. If you get foam liners before you cut them see if you can use them this way. Get a can of Silicon spray and spray the shells and liners before entry as this will aid the process immensely. There were quite a few us that could not get into the boot this way (I could it do on my left foot but never on my right without help). If this is the case you will need to cut the foam liners in the back. I would not do this myself Harbskisystems cut mine and I would have them do it. Once the liner is cut it is pretty easy to get in and out of the boot. Over time it will start to rip and you will have a life of somewhere between 100 and 200 ski days in the liners before you will need new ones.

The dodge with a foam liner is a great combo. Again not cutting them is the best root. Hopefully that will work for you.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Hobbit » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Also if you are not hard set on foam, I use Head race liners in my Dodge boots (25.5 liner size in 24.5 Dodge boot) without cutting the liner and can get into the boot non-race style.
I guess this liner is flexible enough in the channel area. The original Dodge liner in my case lasted for two weeks (the foam in the heel separated and crumbled). I used this setup for 3 seasons and this year got another pair of the same liners.
The cons of using foam in your case are in going with foam liner fitting with non PMTS boot fitter. As John mentioned it may be quite risky.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby krazzy legs » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:06 pm

jboti & Hobbit thanks for the info much appriciated. Will have to put foam liners on hold, I thought I would be able to get foam but the stores around here stopped carrying foam.
krazzy legs

Return to Gear