Which boot to replace Dobermanns?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Which boot to replace Dobermanns?

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:53 am

I've been skiing on original Nordica Dobermanns, 130 flex. They're getting tired. They've worked great, only needed punch outs at the 5th met plus Zipfit liners that snugged the heel & ankle.

Which replacements? I try to ski as technically correctly as I can, all mountain, and appreciate the precision of the Dobies. But--I'm now 68, 6', 180#, narrow foot, especially the heel, not as much strength as before and never was a hard charger.

Help me get started picking a boot:
Nordica Dobermann WC EDT 130
Anything else from Nordica?
Head Raptor 130 RS
Head Raptor 115 RS
Head Challenger line
Anything else from Head or others?

I'll be skiing in Solden, Austria, for a week. Good place to buy boots? Good fitters? How are prices? The nearest shop to home is 2 hours away, so buying boots during a long ski trip works well for me.
Ken

Re: Which boot to replace Dobermanns?

Postby CO_Steve » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:34 am

I've been skiing the Head RS for a couple of years now. I also have a narrow heel. With the stock liners heel retention wasn't all that great. I have since switched to the Intuition Pro Tongue liners and everything is much better. A lot warmer as well.
CO_Steve

Postby Max_501 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:45 am

Only a trained boot fitter can answer that question (after seeing your foot) unless you are replacing with the identical shell.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Max_501 wrote:Only a trained boot fitter can answer that question (after seeing your foot) unless you are replacing with the identical shell.

Agreed. That said, if you are correct in your assessment that your foot is narrow all the way through your forefoot, you should consider the Head Raptor B3 RD. The RD series has the 95mm last which will likely provide a better fit than the RS series (which IIRC is 98mm last). Like Max_501 says, without seeing your feet, this is just a guess, but if you are considering a Head Raptor, you should definitely investigate the RD. Also, the 130 flex Head boots are actually a 120 flex unless you stiffen them. I wouldn't bother with the 115; it will be too soft.
Last edited by geoffda on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:04 am

I believe the Dobie 130 was a 98mm last so dropping to a 95 if the Dobie fit well and still required some work could be a challenge.
Max_501

Postby skifastDDS » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 am

Max_501 wrote:I believe the Dobie 130 was a 98mm last so dropping to a 95 if the Dobie fit well and still required some work could be a challenge.

The Pro 130 is a 98mm last, but there's also a WC 130 [which I have] that is a 95mm last.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:26 am

Is the published last width across the forefoot at the inside of the shell? Inside of the liner?

A quick-n-dirty measure of my narrower forefoot is about 105 mm. The Dobie got punched out there and it fits fine. I have narrow heels & ankles, and that's the concern. The stock Nordica liner needed padding added. The Zipfit liner is great even without added goop.

Has Tecnica improved their offerings? Tecnica owns Nordica; have they learned anything? Their R9.8 130 seems similar to the Dobermann EDT 130. The higher level boots look identical, even the same warning stickers on the non-DIN sole lugs (ready for cant grinding).
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Return to Gear