Boot width questions

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Boot width questions

Postby s29ers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:55 am

Hello

My right foot is a D width, 100mm, and when I shell fit the Dalbello Strike/Scorpion 98mm last the foot brushes the shell on either side, i.e. there is no gap. With the liner on, there is no pressure point width wise, but I it is snug (squashed?) and can't quite flatten at the ball of my foot. In a 100m wide last like Lange RX 120 or Viper, that's not a problem. Some fitters say go to 97/98mm last; others say go to 100mm last as I'd have to punch out to that anyway! Any pointers appreciated. The other thing is should I be looking at 110/120 flex or higher for re-learning using PMTS? I weigh 138lbs. I did read the many posts on the forum regarding including HH's blog post http://harbskisysems.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... g-and.html.

TIA
s29ers

Re: Boot width questions

Postby dan.boisvert » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:20 pm

My understanding is that the width matters less than whether the hole size matches your ankle and lower leg. As you said, you can widen a boot without a problem, but if the hole in the top of the lower shell is too big for your ankle, you're going to be sliding around in it anyway. Flex is hard to say without seeing you ski. Skiers who are already very experienced are more likely to be comfortable with stiff boots, whereas people who are new to the sport are less likely to ski at all, if you put them in a stiff race boot they can barely put on.

Where are you located? If you see a PMTS bootfitter, this (and more) will all be sorted out for you..
dan.boisvert

Postby s29ers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks Dan. By hole size you mean the ankle snug and cuff opening snug around the calf? I usually ski in Whistler.
s29ers

Postby dan.boisvert » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:06 am

I mean just the opening in the lower shell; the cuff is a separate piece, and typically seems less problematic.

If you're near Whistler, your best bet would probably to drive to Oregon to see Jay Peterson. Short of that, there are a couple PMTS instructors at your hill who may be able to help you find something local. Look up Irwin Hamilton or Wendell Moore.

Good luck!
dan.boisvert

Postby s29ers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Opening in lower shell - missed that in your original post! The Scorpion/Head RS 115 are both v. snug around my ankle. I'm planning to try and get to Oregon or Dumont later in Fall to sort the alignment and fit out! Thanks very much for all your help.
s29ers

Postby maxman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 pm

Check out skidynamics.com located in West Vancouver - for PMTS alignment and boot fitter.
maxman

Postby s29ers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:01 pm

hi maxman, that's great! thanks very much.
s29ers

Return to Gear