PMTS-Friendly Touring Skis

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

PMTS-Friendly Touring Skis

Postby dan.boisvert » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm finally getting around to overhauling my touring setup, and need some help with ski choices. I've apparently procrastinated enough that I can't find a Movement Pariah available, so I'm looking at other options. Next year's skis are fine, as I'm in no particular rush. Suggestions?

I'm looking for something 100-ish underfoot (95-110 would probably be okay), maybe early rise, no tail rocker, 180-ish in length, 20m or so radius, and a flat or slightly upturned tail. I'm not into the touring for distance thing, and am more interested in skinning for turns. Soft-snow bias is expected, but I'd like to not die if I have to pass an ice band or bulge, so something with reasonable edge-hold for its size would be cool. I love my RnR's, and a ski like them with a flat tail would be pretty much perfect. What should I be looking at? Anybody try the new Movement skis? Maybe the Buzz or Trust? What about Elan? Maybe a 1010 or 999, if I can find an old one? What about their newer skis? Anybody try the G3 ZenOxide C3 105? What do you guys tour on?
dan.boisvert

Re: PMTS-Friendly Touring Skis

Postby kirtland » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Check out the Head Nebula available in 177cm from Snow Inn
http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/head-n ... fgodlGIA-g

and Dynafit Nanga Parbat, extremely light weight, but supposed to be stable for their weight and supposed to have good edge hold on hard snow and designed for challenging conditions, hence the name. You might find a demo.
kirtland

Postby dan.boisvert » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks, kirtland. I'm really looking for something wider, though. My goal is to skin for turns in soft snow. I'm not terribly interested in ski mountaineering at the moment. :)
dan.boisvert

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Diana used to be on Movements... not the Jam... something softer with a similar shape.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby kirtland » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:12 pm

There is the Head Skis USA Monster 95 O.B. Alpine Ski, see here: http://www.amazon.com/Head-Skis-Monster ... B000VKDNCQ

But you won't have the forgiveness of early rise as in the current models.

Head has wider Alpine Touring skis than the Nebula, if you are not concerned with lighter weight of the touring skis, then use one of the Head Alpine skis you like.
kirtland

Postby dan.boisvert » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Hm, ok. Thanks, guys.
dan.boisvert

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 am

Just reading over what you are looking for an d the sort of ski you describe…why doesn't the Head RnR fit the bill, here??/ It sounds like what you are describing, right down to the length. Especially when 'PMTS approved' is also a criteria?

FWIW: I was able to demo some Liberty skis multiple times this season…take a look at the Liberty variant 97. Got some metal in it, but it is directional, cambered with slight early rise, flat tail, and has notches for skins. Skis hard snow pretty great for a ski of this width, and the float is acceptable. Icelantic Shaman SKNY could work, too-in fact, that would be a very versatile BC ski, that responds well to carving, full cambered, turned up tail, but it's fairly directional just the same. And like the Liberty it looks cool I have only skied that model in a 173, and only on some nice groomers, but I think I got a good sense of it.

If you want a real big set of skis, I am going to sell a set of Ski Logik Howitzers with Tyrolia Adrenaline 16 bindings on them--not a bad slack country set up, actually.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby dan.boisvert » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Just reading over what you are looking for an d the sort of ski you describe…why doesn't the Head RnR fit the bill, here??/ It sounds like what you are describing, right down to the length. Especially when 'PMTS approved' is also a criteria?

The RnR is a twin-tip. I want a flat or slightly-upturned tail on this setup for anchor-building, etc.

FWIW: I was able to demo some Liberty skis multiple times this season…take a look at the Liberty variant 97. Got some metal in it, but it is directional, cambered with slight early rise, flat tail, and has notches for skins. Skis hard snow pretty great for a ski of this width, and the float is acceptable. Icelantic Shaman SKNY could work, too-in fact, that would be a very versatile BC ski, that responds well to carving, full cambered, turned up tail, but it's fairly directional just the same. And like the Liberty it looks cool I have only skied that model in a 173, and only on some nice groomers, but I think I got a good sense of it.

If you want a real big set of skis, I am going to sell a set of Ski Logik Howitzers with Tyrolia Adrenaline 16 bindings on them--not a bad slack country set up, actually.

That Liberty Variant looks awesome! I'll have to investigate these further. Thanks!
dan.boisvert

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:55 am

It does right? FWIW, this is the site that got me interested in seeking out Liberty skis.

{link to review removed - do no post links to reviews unless the tester uses PMTS movements}

Another possibility is the k2 Rictor 90xti. it's skin friendly and capable…though not particularly light.
Skiasaurus Rex

Return to Gear