Leaky Dodge Boots

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Leaky Dodge Boots

Postby Smackboy1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm new to the Dodge boots and I've noticed that they leak quite a bit. I haven't submerged them under water but I've noticed that there is quite a bit of water getting inside the boot. Any Dodge owners out there have any tips?
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Re: Leaky Dodge Boots

Postby docmartin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:46 am

boot glove will prevent leaking
docmartin

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 am

You can get some rubber about 3mm thick and cut shims that fit into the cuff that runs on top of the forefoot. This eliminated all my leaking issues. The Boot glove pretty much does the same but on days when it's warm I prefer not to wear a boot glove.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Smackboy1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:34 pm

jbotti wrote:You can get some rubber about 3mm thick and cut shims that fit into the cuff that runs on top of the forefoot. This eliminated all my leaking issues.

Do you have to insert the rubber along the entire length of the overlap, including under the buckle? How did you prevent the rubber shim from falling out whenever the boot buckle is loosened e.g. on the lift, lunch?

How about if I duct tape over the gap, would that work?
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Duck tap is problematic because that cuff or crease must open wide for you to get in and out of the boot. The rubber shims if you cut them correctly fit right in there and stay there when buckled. At lunch you can put them in your pocket but if you keep your boots on there will be enough tension to keep the shim from falling out. Mine are in Montana so I can't take a photo now, but I will when I get back there.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby krazzy legs » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:57 am

Jbotti where did you get the rubber from. I m going to try the boot glove, I don't know if the boot glove will hold up to my feet rubbing to gather, If not maybe the boot glove can somehow be reinforced.
krazzy legs

Postby BillVT » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:44 pm

We have new for `14-15 tongues and snow seals that cure most water infiltration. These are standard on the new boots but can be retrofitted to earlier boots.
Most times the manufacturer has the best solution and you only need to contact us. Contact me if you'd like us to help.
BillVT

Postby meput » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 pm

Contacted Bill Doble at DodgeBoots and got the new snow seal kit. Have now skied 3 days with the new seal kit installed. Zero leakage. One of the days was in 4 - 6" of fresh snow. Nice to have dry feet.
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby docmartin » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Also got the kit from Dodge. $25 well spent - easy install and dry feet.
docmartin

Postby Icanski » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:39 pm

hmmm...kind of a basic feature of a ski boot isn't it: no water coming in...have they always leaked until this year?
Icanski

Postby krazzy legs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:41 am

Anyone with Dodge ski boots with the older buckles might want to consider using a medium grade lock tight to prevent screws holding on buckles from turning lose.
krazzy legs

Return to Gear