Dalbello Panterra 120

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Dalbello Panterra 120

Postby PeteJE » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:27 am

I own the Dalbello Panterra 120. The fit is great for me (basically, long and highish arch, wide forefoot). It provides good adjustability (I have no heel lift at the moment, but it does have a heel lift wedge under the boot board).

At first I was worried as it seems many cabrio boots based on the original Dalbello Krypton would be a no-go for Mr. Harb's system. However I see HSS sells the Dalbello KR2 as an option. The Panterra is a KR2 shell with various different adjustment features. This boot has been a great fit and performer for me, I was hoping it would be a viable option for progressing with PMTS drills and movements.
PeteJE

Re: Dalbello Panterra 120

Postby Erik » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Try searching the forum for Dalbello Krypton, and you will find many comments about their potential limitations in PMTS skiing. In my case, having the Dalbello Kryptons held back my progress to learn to get forward. I found better learning progress by moving on to the Head Raptor series of boots.
Erik

Postby PeteJE » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:47 pm

I understand Erik. However, these are not kryptons, but, rather based on the modified KR2 that HSS does sell. The main difference is the Panterra fits me very well with its wider forefoot last and volume room for my high arches (all positioned well with a footbed). The difference form the krypton is mainly and more upright forward lean stance and improved lateral stiffnessI. They also have great flex stiffness available, starting at 120 (and adjustable).

The original question was because Harb Ski Systems does sell the boot that mine are made from (the new Dalbello KR2), so I was wondering if this boot makes enough improvements / changes that it is now acceptable vs. its distant cousin the krypton.
PeteJE

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 am

I have the KR2 Fusion, Intuition liner and an Aline footbed. I love it, and it's damn comfortable and warm, and I never had much love for the old Kryptons.

The Panterra Shell shape is the same as the KR2, but the last is wider, it has a hike mode and a burlier sole construction in a 120 flex…sounds like that could be my next boot when I wear out the Fusions.

You already own the Panterra-which is brand new. What are you going to do if it doesn't get the sea lion of approval? But a another whole new boot? Did you get the ID Liner version, it is a very worthwhile, and I'd even go so far as to say, necessary upgrade. Worth doing still if you haven't already.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby PeteJE » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:27 am

No, these are awesome boots as far as fit goes for me. And I have more subtle control than my last boots (a softer flex Atomic Hawx). I was at first discouraged to read about he krypton deficiencies (for proper PMTS form), but then heartened to see the improvements (via the KR2) may have reversed these deficiencies.

I really like this boot and would be great if you need a wider last. For reference, I am in a 28.5; my foot measures right at 284mm and my last width is 112. In this size shell I barely brush the sides of the last and with the footbed, the volume and hold are really great for me. I prefer the tounge tru fit liner ( I am not a big fan of wrap around liners, but, yes, the ID is a great option for those who like it).
PeteJE

Return to Gear