Head Peak 84 177: A review

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head Peak 84 177: A review

Postby Townicus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 am

Good morning!

I purchased the Head Peak 84 in a 177 because of the specific approval of Bowlhiker; he suggested it would be a great ski for PMTS learning based on the type of terrain/conditions/speed we usually ski.

About me: 5'10" 195 pounds. I like to ski. 50+ days at Beaver Creek interspersed with the occasional Vail morning. I am just beginning to understand the primary movements, otherwise I am historically a skier who tends to ski on "big mountain" skis in the 190 cm range that are 105 underfoot. I typically park and ride at high speeds through all types of terrain and snow conditions.

As I have been introduced to PMTS, I have been falling in love with narrower waisted skis. I also picked up a Dynastar Contact 11 in a 178, (67mm underfoot) 17m radius. Got them at a rummage sale for CHEAP to practice PMTS.

The peak 84 is really all the ski I will ever need. It skis flawlessly is ALL conditions. I have skied it on firm hardpack/ice; a foot of fresh; everything in between. The ski carves exceptionally well in medium/to large radius turns. The grip is second to none. Short radius turns are a bit of skid, but my technique is more the issue as I tend to inclinate as my CB and CA are particularly weak as I understand PMTS. This is my current area of focus; to correct my CB and CA.

Bump performance is great. No issues here whatsoever. It engages and releases nicely.

Tracked powder and fresh snow is very good. Especially considering our continental snowpack is so light and low density, anything works in powder (waist width is never an issue in Central Colorado).

Here is the real surprise: The other morning I was skiing a foot of fresh at Beaver Creek with 2 other good skiers. These skiers are friends of mine who I typically "charge" with. We park and ride everything extremely fast. They both were on 100+ waisted skis 191 and 184 cm's respectively. I was on the "shortish" peak 84's in a 177. Coming down the front of Ruffed Grouse (tracked bumps) and Spyder (double fall line bumps) I decided to pull the trigger to see if I could charge like I do on my Kastle BMX 108 in a 188. Not only could I still ski as fast as I ever do, I beat my buddies by a few hundred yards! Point being not to highlight how fast I ski, but to demonstate how fast I "could" ski if I wanted to on a relatively short, skinny ski that typically is reserved for more turns at a moderate speed in deep snow.

Clearly the stability is right up there!

My goal is to keep the Kastles stored until I begin to develop new skiing techniques that PMTS promotes. I don't want to relearn but habits that fat skis promote. I will still use the Kastles in the backcountry as the wide platform is nice in tricky snow or if I need to motor hard in dicey situations.

I am so happy I bought these. I couldn't be more excited at the possibility of these skis helping me become a better skier.

R2
Townicus

Re: Head Peak 84 177: A review

Postby jbotti » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Saw your video. You are already an accomplished skier but PMTS movements are clearly new and challenging for you. The Peak 84 is a great ski, but the very specific movements that you want to ingrain in your skiing are harder on the 84 than on a slalom carver. Two things that help a lot, first is thin waisted (think sub 70mm, yes hard to find)) and the other is lots of sidecut/short turn radius (sub 14-15M). The old Head Super Shape was the gold standard and Bowlhiker had more than one pair of those I believe. They are hard to find now. You seem committed to learning and practicing the movements. If you an find a shorter ski (170cm) with a tight TR (14 or less) and sub 70mm waist, you will feel be able to tip easier, feel the result of correct movements quicker and more dynamically and in general you will improve faster.

Of course finding this magical ski isn't that easy anymore. Head SS (no longer in production in US), Head Icon TT80 (discontinued), Head SS Speed (in shorter lengths with tighter TR), Head ISL non RD version (trickier because it has more a race feel but has a very tight TR), Head SS Magnum (170 has a 13.5m TR) are skis to see if you might be able to find. Best to you on your PMTS journey.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear