Heated Boot Bag and Effect on Custom Footbeds

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Heated Boot Bag and Effect on Custom Footbeds

Postby skijim13 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:30 am

Does anyone know how warm you can heat your boots before it effects your custom footbeds in the boots. I saw this as possible watchout when using heated bootbags. I currently dry my boots with low temperature heated air (100 F). I want to purchase heated boot bags from my wife and I.
skijim13

Re: Heated Boot Bag and Effect on Custom Footbeds

Postby HighAngles » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:50 pm

I've never noticed any problems with my HSS footbeds even when using the highest heat setting on my bag (and run overnight). The footbeds are pretty much impervious to heat until it reaches over 200* F. I'd be interested in finding out what the actual air temp reaches in the bag on that setting.
HighAngles

Postby CO_Steve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:17 pm

For the last couple of year I had a Point Dry heated bag. It didn't have any heat control, just on/off. It got pretty hot which was nice in the morning. Last spring the heater failed and I replaced it with a hot gear bag with three level control. Even on high the Hot Gear bag never gets close to what the Point Dry would do. Never had any issues with either wrt insoles.
CO_Steve

Postby ToddW » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:54 pm

Lots of us use hot gear bags, and I've never heard of an actual Harb footbed problem caused by heated bags. If you want to be extra cautious, the advice given by the shop a few years back was to put boots in hot gear bags with the sole at 90* angle to the ground and resting on the back of the cuff to lessen any possible effects of direct heat on the footbeds.
ToddW

Postby skijim13 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:52 am

Great thanks for the information
skijim13

Postby AnI » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 am

I recently made an experiment: put a footbed blank (the same that is used by HSS) in a HotGear boot bag along with a thermometer and set it to "high". There were not boots in the bag. The thermometer has never showed temperature over 50 degrees C (although the boot bag spec calls for 70 C on this setting - I am not sure why such a discrepancy). The footbed blank has not become pliable, i.e., a molded footbeds should not deform.
AnI

Postby CO_Steve » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:10 am

I did the same thing when I got my Hot Gear bag, I even sent them an email asking why the bag didn't get as hot as the controller said it would. No reply.

I had heard rumors that the first generation HG got so warm they could cause issues. I took apart the controller and found that there was a diode in series with the line voltage coming into the control section. This will cut the power in half to the heater. I'm guessing this was a redesign in response to getting too hot. (I'm a EE by trade).

My current method is to turn it on the lowest setting overnight, then high when I wake up in the morning. Boots are just right by 8:30 when it's time to ski.
CO_Steve

Postby seskelson » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:26 am

Ditto for the procedure suggested by Co Steve. I do the same. No problems with my Harb footbeds.
seskelson

Postby Hobbit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:03 am

At the time I bought my HotGear bag in the shop Chris told me to never use the max setting for more than few hours.
Also I recall Max mentioning that he uses the max setting with the boots placed upside down.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby marsound » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:38 pm

How does a heated bag affect custom liners?
marsound

Postby speedcontrol » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:26 pm

While the custom foot beds are not affected by the heated boot bag , skiers that use intuition liners must pay special attention . I’ve recently discussed with Crystel from Intuition Liners Vancouver and she says that the intuition liners are best kept away from any heated bags or heating and drying devises no matter what temperature is indicated on their labels. You may not notice it at once, but only after several times the liners will start loosing their intended (molded) shape.
speedcontrol

Postby docmartin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:26 pm

I have not had footbed issues on highest setting. On the lowest setting overnight my boots will not always be dry in the morning. There will sometimes be water left at the bottom of the shell. This is with Dodge boots before the new snow seal. Personally I like it warm and will always use at least the mid setting and often I will jump start things on high for a couple of hours. I have also had them on high through the entire night without ill effects.
I am careful about not buckling the boots tightly. Harald has apparently had issues with some of the plastic parts on the Dodge boots at the highest setting. Therefore, I avoid tension on plastic parts while in the bag.
docmartin

Return to Gear