2014 Head Skis Mini Reviews

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: 2014 Head Skis Mini Reviews

Postby theorist » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:45 pm

h.harb wrote:I only sell skis that help you develop your skiing in the "right " way, if you like the Titan, there is something in your skiing that is incorrect, like extension or tail pushing. I've tested this ski for two years, hated it. I'd never recommend it, sell it or ski it. It's dead, heavy and slow. I even gave it a second look last year because the Head reps were pushing it. It hurts my knees, it bounces, it bucks, nasty thing. The former ski called the
"Jam" by Movement, is so much better, no comparison, similar dimensions. The Rock and Roll is a better ski by far and it's a 95mm width. There are so many Head skis that are a better choice for any snow condition. Example, The Rev 80 is a much better ski.

Harald, thanks for your comment. I’m familiar with your system of selecting skis specifically for PMTS -- there’s great value in having someone that has deep expertise, and that knows what your goals are, try out skis with that in mind and figure out what works and what doesn’t.

I should add I wouldn’t buy the Titan myself – a few months ago I bought a demo pair of 170 cm 2012 Stockli Laser SC’s. As I mentioned, and it’s nice to hear you also found, the Titan bounced me around. Beyond that, in some sense, the ski seems pointless – because of its stiffness it’s no good in soft snow, so the extra width gains you nothing, and at the same time compromises mogul and groomer performance. As to what I really liked about the ski, and thinking about what you, Jbotti, and Max said, it may have been colored as follows: I’d been away from skiing for a while, and thus didn’t look into updating my equipment until last year. Consequently, the Titan (and a few others) were the first new skis I’d tried since 2000. Given this, I was probably taken by how much more easily it initiated, and how much more control over turn shape it offered, than my c. 2000 Atomic GS and SL skis (by comparison, high-C turns became a breeze – I was entranced :)). [I'll add that, with my old Atomics, I had to time the move into the high-C turn correctly right from the start; if I messed up, I couldn't readily correct; but with the Titans, I could correct on the fly -- it felt like the difference between hitting a target with a gun, where once the bullet leaves the barrel that's it, vs. with a guided missile, where you can correct in flight; this is not an argument for the Titans -- I'm guessing this is a product of general advances in understanding of shape ski design, such that today most hard-snow skis offer that capability.] So I suspect why I liked the Titan had less to do with my technique and more to do with my basis for comparison. The only way to know for sure is video of me on the Titan, which I don’t have. But I will check for any tail-pushing next time I'm on snow. I’m looking forward to getting onto the Stocklis – they should be awesome!
Last edited by theorist on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
theorist

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:03 am

theorist wrote:Rather, I noticed you’re a strong skier and offer clear opinions on skis I’m curious about.

I'm a Blue Level PMTS coach so my opinions on skis come from that training and a bias for skis that reward proper PMTS movements.

theorist wrote:Nevertheless, I disagree with your sentiment that, if Harald doesn’t sell a Head, there’s no point in asking about it, since I think there’s also value in understanding why he doesn’t like a ski (which is why I found his reply interesting).

Harald provided the answer well over 2 years ago and I provided a similar answer up above.

On Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:41 pm Harald wrote:

h.harb wrote:Head totally blew it with the Titan. It's s stiff board that bucks and kicks on chop or crud and it's heavy and slow side to side.
Max_501

Diff. between the 94 and 95 Rock n Roll?

Postby theorist » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:15 pm

h.harb wrote:The Rock and Roll is a better ski by far ....

I've seen both "94" and "95" versions of the Rock n Roll online (if the specs I've seen are correct, they're both 132/94/119 @ 180). The only info. I could find describing a difference was the following, but I question its accuracy: "The ski that you are seeing on the Head website is the 95 style and you are looking at the 94 style, on our website. The difference is that ours has a cam profile with the rocker and is made for an advanced skier. The 95 style on the Head website, has only the rocker profile on it, and is why it is an intermediate ski." Other sources say that the skis are identical, and that the only difference is the model year (2012 vs. 2013).

Might anyone be able clear this up? Also, what's the recommended length for an advanced skier that's 5'7", 150#?
theorist

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:22 pm

I think they are identical but I could be wrong. What you have been told I have never heard before.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby JMD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 am

To my knowledge the two years are identical. The '12 model listed the 94mm(180cm) waist and for marketing purposes they listed the 95mm(187cm) waist for the '13 model.
JMD

Postby HighAngles » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:05 am

JMD wrote:To my knowledge the two years are identical. The '12 model listed the 94mm(180cm) waist and for marketing purposes they listed the 95mm(187cm) waist for the '13 model.

Correct. Almost every Head ski has dimensions that vary with length.
HighAngles

Re: Diff. between the 94 and 95 Rock n Roll?

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:44 am

theorist wrote:The only info. I could find describing a difference was the following, but I question its accuracy: "The ski that you are seeing on the Head website is the 95 style and you are looking at the 94 style, on our website. The difference is that ours has a cam profile with the rocker and is made for an advanced skier. The 95 style on the Head website, has only the rocker profile on it, and is why it is an intermediate ski."

What website gave you this info?
Max_501

Postby theorist » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks, everyone, for your quick replies. I also wrote to Head, but they took three weeks to respond to my last question.

Any guidance on whether I should be on the 173 or the 180?

Max_501 wrote:What website gave you this info?

It was http://www.peterglenn.com/product/head- ... ll-94-skis
[See Q&A at bottom.]

I of course didn't mind supplying the source, but here's a helpful Google tip: if you want the source of an unknown quote, just select a block of it sufficiently large to be unique, paste it into the search field, and surround it in quotes. The quotes direct Google to find only that exact text.
Last edited by theorist on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
theorist

Postby Basil j » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:13 am

Might want to check out ASO gear as well. You can order direct by calling them if you don't want to deal with EBAY. I have had very good luck with them in the past.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Head-Rock- ... 2ecceb6f70
Basil j

Postby theorist » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:45 am

Hunh -- Head just responded a few minutes ago. They say there there's no difference.

Basil, thanks for the tip.
theorist

Postby jbotti » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:38 pm

theorist wrote:Any guidance on whether I should be on the 173 or the 180?

I would think 173 at your size.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby theorist » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:28 pm

jbotti wrote:
theorist wrote:Any guidance on whether I should be on the 173 or the 180?

I would think 173 at your size.

Thanks, jbotti. May I also ask what lengths you would recommend for the Icon TT80.0 and 12/13 Supershape, assuming I can get my hands on either? In case it helps, here are my sizing reactions to some other skis:

12/13 Rev85, 170 cm -- way too short
12/13 Stockli Laser SC, 170 cm -- still figuring this ski out (playing with binding position), but maybe a bit short
12/13 Titan, 170 cm -- its deficiencies aside, the length felt right
00/01 Atomic BetaRace 9.16 SL, 160 cm -- just right
00/01 Atomic BetaRace 10.22 GS, 183 cm -- just right
theorist

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Based on your most recent info I'd suggest the RnR in a 180cm and the TT80 in a 170cm.
Max_501

Postby theorist » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Max_501 wrote:Based on your most recent info I'd suggest the RnR in a 180cm and the TT80 in a 170cm.

Thanks Max. There's a shop in Bridger, where I'll be next week, that has a 180 RnR for demo. I figure it's good for GS-type turns through crud, but I need to find out how well it works in tight, steep places, like chutes and trees.

What about a length for the SS? Or would the TT80 be your recommendation for a general PMTS-learning ski for me, if I'd also like a ski that works well in moguls, and maybe also for quick turns on steep terrain in soft snow? My only concern about using the TT80 as a learning ski on firmer snow is that I'd need it to feel secure on-edge at the turn apex.
theorist

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:22 pm

theorist wrote:I figure it's good for GS-type turns through crud, but I need to find out how well it works in tight, steep places, like chutes and trees.

For me the RnR works great in chutes and trees.

theorist wrote:What about a length for the SS? Or would the TT80 be your recommendation for a general PMTS-learning ski for me, if I'd also like a ski that works well in moguls, and maybe also for quick turns on steep terrain in soft snow? My only concern about using the TT80 as a learning ski on firmer snow is that I'd need it to feel secure on-edge at the turn apex.

The TT80 has great grip and would be my first choice. It's better than the SS in bumps and very tight SL turns because of the tail.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Gear