Soft Snow Skis for Small People

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Soft Snow Skis for Small People

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:53 am

Hi folks,

I'm trying to help a petite friend pick out a pair of soft-snow/travel skis, and don't know many skiers her size to compare notes with. She's 5'4", 105lbs, and mostly skis on a pair of 146cm Dynastar junior SL's (the one for junior racers). She likes those a lot, and is a big fan of the edge grip they provide in eastern conditions. She's an intermediate skier at the moment, and likes to ski at medium speeds.

The idea is to get her something wider for soft conditions and travel, since her current setup isn't exactly the most forgiving in pow & crud. I'm finding good deals on the Peak 90 in 163, less-good deals on the Rev 90 in 156 or 163, and worse deals on the Mya 8. Anybody have any suggestions or thoughts on whether those skis are reasonable for someone of her weight?

Other suggestions would be awesome. She's not looking for a super-wide pow ski, and would want this ski to be acceptable on groomers if she took it on a trip somewhere and it only snowed half the time; I'm thinking something along the lines of the RnR would be ideal, except downsized for a light person. Any ideas on which ski & length would be that ski?

Thanks!

Dan
dan.boisvert

Re: Soft Snow Skis for Small People

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:19 am

A 163cm is a pretty big jump from a 146cm.
Max_501

Postby meput » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Couple pairs of short RnR's on ebay, including a pair of 152's. Used demos.

Jim 1 picked up a pair of Mya 8's (last years) for Midwife at a good price from Sierra Trading.

My daughter has enjoyed her Buchwacker/Black pearls.
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

8Re: Soft Snow Skis for Small People

Postby midwif » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Get thee to STP right NOW!

Mya 8 for $399.
If you have deal flyer code ( will send you mine if you don't already get these deals on line)

35% off that price with the deal flyer= $260.

Largest size 156cm which should be adequate for her. I got the same and am 5'4".
Lynn
midwif

Postby midwif » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Having trouble accessing email in the wilds of NYS, so posting here.
Key code
KPW4907H

Also have Atomic Affinity and other skis to check out as well.
Have heard good word of mouth about the affinity's, but have no clue if they are pmts oriented.

Lynn
midwif

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Are the Mya 8's your soft snow skis, Lynn, or do you go wider?

I just did some quick math, and it looks like she'd have more surface area per pound of weight on the 156cm Mya 8 than I do on my 180cm RnR. Does reality line up with theory there?
dan.boisvert

Postby midwif » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:33 pm

These are going to be my soft snow ski.
I haven't gotten them yet.

The price was so good and they were on the short list to demo, so decided to just go for it.
I haven't been disappointed by any of my Head skis yet. I have outgrown them, though.

Hope it works out for your friend.
Lynn
I
midwif

Postby midwif » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:39 pm

And your computations jibe with Jim's who did they same sort of comparison for me.

My knees talk back to me at the end of the ski day, more so with wider skis.
Having the width to get the float wanted for soft days while being able to edge as needed seems to be the sweet spot for this mya model.

I think you've picked a good choice for her in this.

HH/Diana are fans of the Mya 9, but when I checked out the specs, seemed too much ski for me.
And Diana concurred via pm.
She knows my skill set (and lack thereof) , but had no personal experience of the Mya 8 to definitively recommend it.

Lynn
midwif

Postby Max_501 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:52 pm

I think midwif is right on the money. But remember that buying any ski without demoing is a risk. John and I know this well. That said, the Mya 8 looks like a pretty good fit.
Max_501

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Awesome--thanks, everybody! I'll pass this info along to her and see what she decides to do.

(and Jim, I didn't know your daughters ever got their own skis--I thought they just took yours!)
dan.boisvert

Return to Gear