Kastle mx88 and mx83 skis for PMTS

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Kastle mx88 and mx83 skis for PMTS

Postby Jjmdane » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:06 am

What is the prevailing opinion on the suitability of the Kastle mx88 and 83 for PMTS skiing? Thanks
Jjmdane

Re: Kastle mx88 and mx83 skis for PMTS

Postby jbotti » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:14 am

I think we all pretty much agree that the MX 78 is an excellent ski. Harald and Max have skied it and both agree it's wonderful ski for PMTS. I have skied the MX 88's but not the MX 83's. The big issue you start to run into with Kastle skis as they get wider is that the turn radius starts to get very wide. The MX 88 is a very nice ski but I question where to throw it in a quiver. I would much rather ski the Head Rock N Roll off piste in fresh snow and I'd much rather ski the MX 78 on piste or in firmer off-psite conditions versus the MX 88. Max has skied the MX 83 and thought it was on the stiff side and he wasn't crazy about it.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Mac » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:41 am

I think the MX88 falls into the category of "if you can only own one pair." I skied the MX78 in the 176 for a season. Felt that it favored longer turns in comparison to the MX83, which to me felt like it had a more variable turn radius, even in the 183 length. If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the MX83.
Mac

Postby Max_501 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:16 am

Skis for PMTS skiers in this width range are often used as a one ski quiver. In this case the ski should work well on groomers and off piste. IMO the MX series is on the stiff side for off piste use.

For many PMTS skiers the MX78 will probably be the better choice when compared to the MX83. The difference in turning radius is small with the MX78 having a slightly tighter radius. More noticeable is the waist width. The MX78 is quicker edge to edge and easier to keep on edge. It is a great ski for groomers that can serve in a pinch if you are traveling and get some fresh snow. The MX83 is more work on groomers and still on the stiff side for off piste skiing. Its an odd in between size. I don't see where it fills a need given the MX78's tighter radius and easier tipping. The MX88 would have an off piste bias for PMTS skiers and IMO is too stiff for that purpose.
Max_501

Postby zuschauer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:41 pm

Hey guys, I sell Kastle and the MX 83 is a challenging (read stiff) ski for PMTS. The 78 and 88 are more similar to each other, with the 78 being a lot easier to tip with it's more moderate width. As Max said, the Head R & R is better off piste than the MX 88 (good on piste), but if on piste, why go so wide? That said, the 88 is versatile and fun, just not really the best PMTS choice. SO...... get the MX 78, or consider the Head SS Magnum. At 72mm and a little softer and having slightly more energy and a shorter radius than the Kastle, a good choice. The Kastle will be better perhaps on harder eastern snow, say Cannon Mt ;-)
in January when the wind is howling!!

later,
Richard
zuschauer

Postby zuschauer » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:53 pm

And, if you need wider, consider the Head SS Rally (75mm) and the SS Titan (80mm). The SS series are all a little quicker (shorter radii) and softer than the
Kastle MX series. If you want a wider Kastle, the new (2014) FX94 is better than the MX 88. The old FX was truck like and solid, too ponderous (bulldozer like) for good PMTS skiing. The new one is much quicker and holds a carve much more readily, kind of reminds me of the Head Rock and Roll (very similar dimensions) Again, at 94mm we are getting on the outer boundary of what most of us should consider for PMTS.

Me personally? I can't wait to get out on my new HEAD isl skis!!! (66mm)
zuschauer

Postby zuschauer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:07 am

Sorry to post so much, but looking back i missed Max's remarks (another gear thread) about the SS series being more locked in and stiffer than the Head Revs (80 and 85) Can't disagree, the Revs are more versatile and bend easier, but don't seem to work as good on manmade eastern snow to me. (maybe I just don't like the little bit more rocker? )Some of our differing opinions are due to where we live and ski, you should take that into account for your choice and demo if possible. Also, Max's technique is way ahead of mine, especially when it comes to mastery of the finer points of PMTS. For Demos, Harb ski systems can help you out in CO. Also I've got the Heads and Kastles in PA (and I have demos to try as well)

Richard
zuschauer

Return to Gear