Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Postby Jjmdane » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Since we are a little further along in the season I was wondering if anybody has skied the Head Collective 105 or the Venturi 95? How do they compare to the wider Rev skis? I too ,am looking for a wider PMTS friendly ski, as my fat ski quiver now consists of a pair of 184 Mantras (no rocker) and 191 Movement Goliaths. I doubt anyone has much experience on the Goliaths but if anybody has skied them I would be interested in some feedback. They have no rocker and a very squared-off tail and thus would seem to ski somewhat differently than some of the more recent soft snow offerings. They are pretty good in soft conditions however they feel a little harsh in cut up snow.
I coach a high school race team and am committed to the PMTS system and thus have weaned myself off of my older Volkl and Atomic race skis for free skiing; I ski hard pack conditions predominantly with 184 i speed SS and 177 KERS Magnums. Sometimes some MX 88s get thrown into the mix. Yes ,my basement does look like Al's Ski Barn.
I would very much appreciate getting help in finding a pair of wider skis that would continue to enhance my learning curve with the PMTS system. I am not a fan of much rocker although if it is done in moderation I suppose it could be tolerated but only in the tip, preferably in the form of a very subtle early rise.
Thanks for any input.
Jjmdane

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Jjmdane wrote:Since we are a little further along in the season I was wondering if anybody has skied the Head Collective 105 or the Venturi 95?

From the HSS website: Head Venturi 95

140/95/126, R16.0m (181)

171, 181, 191 cm

Springy, tons of float, and a tight-enough radius to be turny... these are a terrific ski for soft days and exploring off the beaten track. It's not our #1 choice for icy or hard snow, but it's more versatile than many wide skis. It's the perfect complement to our narrower, carving-oriented skis. Bring on the snow!
Wood-core sandwich cap construction.
Max_501

Postby Mac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:47 pm

FWIW, I spent some time on the Venturi 95 yesterday in about a foot of new snow that got tracked out pretty quickly into chopped pow and crud bumps. Very, very nice ski, especially for those conditions. I was sold on that ski after the first couple of turns. I even managed to find some steeper places off the summit where the wind had scoured the snow off down to the frozen granular base, and they more than held their own on some pretty slick surfaces. If I was in the market for a 95mm ski, that would be an easy choice.
Mac

Postby Jjmdane » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Thanks Mac, you just described the conditions that I most frequently encounter when skiing on that type of ski as I live in the Boston area and ski in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Obviously I love 2ft of fresh but since that is pretty much an elusive goal here I find skiing cut up and crud bumps to be very enjoyable if on the right ski. I definitely want a ski that responds to tipping and would appreciate any additional suggestions. Right now I'm leaning toward the Venturi in a 191.
Jjmdane

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:15 pm

IMO the RnR is a better ski for cut up stuff. And it looks like you might be able to grab a 187!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/head-r ... s~p~5975n/
Max_501

Postby Mac » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:52 pm

I skied the Venturi yesterday at a demo day at Mt Sunapee in NH. I typically ski in VT, but everywhere got dumped on Saturday night. I'm about 210 lbs, and I skied it in a 181. I think that was the longest length they had. One thing I noticed is that they mount the binding further forward on that ski, almost like a park and pipe ski. It makes the ski appear shorter than it really is, as there isn't a lot of length from the toe of the binding to the tip. But it didn't seem to effect the way it skied. As far as the Rock n' Roll, I don't have enough experience with that ski to form an opinion one way or the other.
Mac

Postby Jjmdane » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Max, thanks. I just picked them up for 350$ including shipping.
Jjmdane

Postby Max_501 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Jjmdane wrote:Max, thanks. I just picked them up for 350$ including shipping.

Incredible deal! IMO one of the best off piste skis ever made and it still rips on groomers:

Max_501

Postby Ken » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:56 pm

I bought a pair of Rev 85 Pro skis at the end of last year and just tried them Sunday. They're the best crud skis I've been on, and OK on pack. Not as precise as my Icon TT800s, but more versatile, and just what I wanted for those conditions.

The Rev's had a QR code sticker, the square with squiggly dots, and I took a pic with my iPad. It took me to a Head web site..."You won a new pair of skis!" Hmmm. I sent in my name and email address. A month later I got an email from an intern at Head headquarters in Austria. "You can get any skis from last year's catalog still in the warehouse. Send three choices & sizes." I responded, "Thank you very much, but I just bought new Head skis. I really need new boots. How about a pair of Raptor 130, size...?" A coupl'a weeks later another email, "Sorry, no boots, but send your three ski choices." I asked for i.Supershape; sold out. Some big long wide skis to resell; sold out. Rock n Roll 95 Motörhead; OK! They came a few weeks later with bindings, and I only paid $65 for a customs broker fee. I never win anything. I mounted and waxed them, and if we ever get any deep snow I'll give them a try. The northwest has gotten half its average precip this Fall. Northern & central California has a quarter of average precip. This is a La Nada year--neither La Niña nor El Niño--so average expectations, but these neutral years tend to get the big weather events.

Anybody want to buy my well trained Icelantic Shaman 170's?
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:35 pm

As an experiment I just picked up a pair of Coreupt R88s. I've been eyeing them on eBay for a while... and for $200 a pair I figured it was worth the risk. the company keeps going in and out of business, so there is a lot of cheap product around. They are 140-90-118 with a 16m radius in a 184. Slightly early rise tip and semi turned up tail. If they ski well, I figured they would make very good PMTS tree ski for out west. My other powder skis (Salomon Sentinel) aren’t the most maneuverable skis ever built, so these will be a nice compliment with a similar waist width I think. Once I ski them a few times I will let everyone know if these are worth a look for a PMTS trained skier.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby HighAngles » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:00 pm

Ken wrote:I bought a pair of Rev 85 Pro skis at the end of last year and just tried them Sunday. They're the best crud skis I've been on, and OK on pack. Not as precise as my Icon TT800s, but more versatile, and just what I wanted for those conditions.

The Rev's had a QR code sticker, the square with squiggly dots, and I took a pic with my iPad. It took me to a Head web site..."You won a new pair of skis!" Hmmm. I sent in my name and email address. A month later I got an email from an intern at Head headquarters in Austria. "You can get any skis from last year's catalog still in the warehouse. Send three choices & sizes." I responded, "Thank you very much, but I just bought new Head skis. I really need new boots. How about a pair of Raptor 130, size...?" A coupl'a weeks later another email, "Sorry, no boots, but send your three ski choices." I asked for i.Supershape; sold out. Some big long wide skis to resell; sold out. Rock n Roll 95 Motörhead; OK! They came a few weeks later with bindings, and I only paid $65 for a customs broker fee. I never win anything. I mounted and waxed them, and if we ever get any deep snow I'll give them a try. The northwest has gotten half its average precip this Fall. Northern & central California has a quarter of average precip. This is a La Nada year--neither La Niña nor El Niño--so average expectations, but these neutral years tend to get the big weather events.

Anybody want to buy my well trained Icelantic Shaman 170's?

That's a very cool way to pick-up a pair of new skis! I wonder how many people have never even checked the QR sticker? :lol:
HighAngles

Postby skifastDDS » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Jjmdane wrote:Max, thanks. I just picked them up for 350$ including shipping.

I also found a pair of 187s for this price earlier this fall. They are still in the wrapper, but I look forward to skiing them soon. I just need to decide what to mount them with...
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
skifastDDS

Postby Jjmdane » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Which bindings do you think works best on the R&R's? Does it make sense to go with an adjustable binding like the Rail flex and do they make that binding in a high din model. Are there any other adjustable bindings that you think work well on wider skis? Thanks
Jjmdane

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:07 pm

the Schizo (griffon or jester) will work,. You can also try to find marker demo rails that work with the jester/ griffon-they'll give a credible amount of for aft adjustment.

How high of a DIN do you want?
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Jjmdane wrote:Which bindings do you think works best on the R&R's? Does it make sense to go with an adjustable binding like the Rail flex and do they make that binding in a high din model. Are there any other adjustable bindings that you think work well on wider skis? Thanks

I like to use adjustable Tyrolia bindings.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Gear