Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Postby h.harb » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:22 am

Time to pull out those fancy, wide, powder skis yet?
h.harb

Postby Basil j » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 am

Basil j

Postby theorist » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Anyone tried the Line Sick Day 95? 95 mm waist, 18 m @179, but not sure about the tip profile and how well it engages at the top of the turn.
theorist

Postby Skizoo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:04 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:As an experiment I just picked up a pair of Coreupt R88s. I've been eyeing them on eBay for a while... and for $200 a pair I figured it was worth the risk. the company keeps going in and out of business, so there is a lot of cheap product around. They are 140-90-118 with a 16m radius in a 184. Slightly early rise tip and semi turned up tail. If they ski well, I figured they would make very good PMTS tree ski for out west. My other powder skis (Salomon Sentinel) aren’t the most maneuverable skis ever built, so these will be a nice compliment with a similar waist width I think. Once I ski them a few times I will let everyone know if these are worth a look for a PMTS trained skier.

Heluva.. any feedback on Coreupt R88's?
Skizoo

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:55 am

Skizoo wrote:Heluva.. any feedback on Coreupt R88's?

Dont buy them. Too pivoty.

I had the chance to get on the Head R&R for a few runs last week and it is a FAR superior ski for how we ski.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:32 am

For deeper snow the Head Rev 105 is another great ski.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:46 am

Max and I skied some deep Montana pow on Tuesday on the Rev 105's. We had one in a 181 and one in the 191 length and we switched between the two. We had a hard time deciding which one we liked better. Both skis were great and super easy to ski with great float in pow.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:53 am

I just spent a week in Washington, great snow week-I had some buds at Big Sky This week, they also sang the virtues of a snowy Tuesday!-anyway, we had deep snow on steep hills in Washington and I skied with and chatted up a ton of locals. Even here, there is a growing preference for skis in the 105mm range, with camber, and early rise tip. The Rev 105 seems to be a solid example of where tastes are shifting. Though, those Rossis were everywhere. And I saw a lot of small company stuff..including on my own feet.

Anyone tried the narrower Nordica stuff like the Hell n Back or Soul Rider?? 16m turns on 98mm skis with camber and, like so many skis, they have a good buzz around the internet.

Does anyone's preferences change when it is not only deep but also steep? Just wondering.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:59 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:Does anyone's preferences change when it is not only deep but also steep? Just wondering.

Flatter goes fatter but the downside of more width is slower tipping response. I prefer the RnR for the steeper stuff.
Max_501

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:38 am

Well,

I demoed the Nordica Soul Riders in yesterday's delightful warm sunshine in VT.

No powder, lots of soft snow, and by late in the day some fairly heavy soft snow (especially off-piste).

I enjoyed them, they are very easy to ski, they are a joy at slow, precise speeds and felt good at high speeds on warm-corn groomers.. Some early rise tip and tail (but not much), twin-tip with quite a bit of camber high 90's waist and a 16m turn in the 177cm. They Had slightly 'racier' feel than I expected, though the flex is on the softer side of medium. They kind of felt like a slightly mellower, turner version of the Head RnR. A longer length on a bigger mountain might make some sense, but for my middling skills and size and average speeds, the 177cm was the ticket to ride.

These are fairly well-regarded in lots of corners, and maybe a good option that is still in production for a PMTS powder ski/ off-piste ski. I'd be interested to hear what the PMTS upper level guys think of them or if they've been on them. I also tried recently an Armada ARV Ti, decent ski-somewhere in the mid to high 90's ski range is a worthy technical off-piste ski-thus far, the Nordica Soul Rider is the closest I've gotten.

The recent still photos of Max501 on his Head RnR's are great, a do a lot to sell that ski. maybe Head will put out a 'classic' model for the faithful.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:13 am

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:These are fairly well-regarded in lots of corners...

Which is meaningless to the readers of this forum.

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:The recent still photos of Max501 on his Head RnR's are great, a do a lot to sell that ski. maybe Head will put out a 'classic' model for the faithful.

Those photos would have looked the same on any good PMTS ski. There are skis that reward PMTS movements and skis the don't.
Max_501

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am

Which is meaningless to the readers of this forum.

Those photos would have looked the same on any good PMTS ski. There are skis that reward PMTS movements and skis the don't.

Undoubtedly both true, which, is why I wondered if any PMTSers with street cred over here had skied them, to solicit an opinion that does mean something on this forum. I was wondering if, the Soul Rider as a soft snow/ powder ski rewarded PMTS movements. It's a great thing about this forum and PMTS forums in general, the information and opinion reflect a very specific set of criteria which promotes a high level of consistency. And, After all, the Original thread question was a worthy one, 2013/14 pmts worthy powder ski?

These seemed to fall into a similar mold as the RnR's, though, a touch wider with more sidecut. Figured someone here might have taken a soft snow turn or two on them. And possibly they are another acceptable off-piste stick for those working on specific technical advancement and movements.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby Max_501 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:These seemed to fall into a similar mold as the RnR's, though, a touch wider with more sidecut.

Dawgcatching and I were testing skis and he felt that, given the skis I like and the way I approach skiing, they were too soft for anything but pow so I didn't spend the limited time we had testing those. He said they were definitely softer than the RnR and given that info I would guess it is not a good replacement because the RnR is already on the softer side. For a 95mm waist ski I wouldn't want anything softer than the RnR. An off piste ski that is soft is fine in fresh pow but if it is too soft it lets you down when the pow gets cut up and later when it turns to crud.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Gear