Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Recommendations for 2013/14 Powder Skis?

Postby Max_501 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Skiasaurus Rex wrote:HONESTLY, I think I'd rather hear, and would benefit from, a discussion on PMTS Powder Skiing technique more than a discussion on PMTS powder skis.

You are thinking TTS toolbox. PMTS uses the same technique EVERYWHERE and in ALL CONDITIONS!
Max_501

Postby kirtland » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:52 pm

PMTS uses the same technique EVERYWHERE and in ALL CONDITIONS!

Max-501, Then what is the purpose of Chapter 10-4 "Powder Skiing" in ACBAES Book One and chapter 13 "Powder" in Book Two , which addresses the "minor differences that need exploring" as is stated in book one? Sounds to me, like you are saying that information is irrelevant and unnecessary.
kirtland

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:50 am

kirtland wrote:Then what is the purpose of Chapter 10-4 "Powder Skiing" in ACBAES Book One and chapter 13 "Powder" in Book Two , which addresses the "minor differences that need exploring" as is stated in book one? Sounds to me, like you are saying that information is irrelevant and unnecessary.

The minor differences are not technique differences.
Max_501

Postby kirtland » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:16 am

tech·nique
noun \tek-ˈnēk\

: a way of doing something by using special knowledge or skill

: the way that a person performs basic physical movements or skills

So transferring all or most your weight to your outside foot works for you in bottomless powder, like it does on firm snow? You don't need that special knowledge or need to make that basic physical movement? You must be using a different definition than Websters.
kirtland

Postby Max_501 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:52 am

PMTS teaches the extremes of weight all on the outside and all on the inside, and everything in between. Skiing pow on skinnier skis may require a more two footed weighting although the majority of weight should be on the outside ski. If the student has been working through the PMTS drills they should have the skills needed to change weighting as needed.

BTW transferring most of the weight to the outside ski does work for powder when ripping on wider pow skis.
Max_501

Postby Mac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:59 am

Lito Tejada-Flores referred to this phenomenon as "the exception that proves the rule of one footed skiing"
Mac

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:40 pm

So transferring all or most your weight to your outside foot works for you in bottomless powder, like it does on firm snow? You don't need that special knowledge or need to make that basic physical movement? You must be using a different definition than Websters.

If you think or feel you have a need for different "technique" when skiing in different snows, to achieve the subtle balance changes from foot to foot, and for absorption and leg flexing, (that Max501 is talking about) relative to all PMTS movements taught, then you are still using TTS. And if you need to use Webster's to interpret what I've written about skiing, you might be on the wrong page.
h.harb

Postby Bonz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:42 am

Has anyone tried the Soul 7? Any opinions?

Looks like a fair amount of camber, and an 18m radius. Would this be a candidate as a pmts "powder ski"? I don't know, just asking.
Bonz

Postby HighAngles » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:03 am

Bonz wrote:Has anyone tried the Soul 7? Any opinions?

Looks like a fair amount of camber, and an 18m radius. Would this be a candidate as a pmts "powder ski"? I don't know, just asking.

Fair amount of camber, maybe, but a large amount of rocker too.

HighAngles

Postby jbotti » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:22 am

Wow, that is just ugly!! Huge amounts of rocker.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:31 am

Bonz,

Soul 7 is probably less of a pmts powder ski than any of the others I recommended, and all of those were not pmts skis either…evidently.

The listed Turn Radius on skis like this has more to do with the very short running lengths of heavily rockered skis than its actual suitability for carving and hard snow use.

I have skied it, it is very much part of the evolution of powder skis started with the first generation Cattabriga S7. Unquestionably, it facilitates pivoting, especially pivoting and sideslipping/ scrubbing in deeper and heavier snow in tight spaces, and it's pretty user friendly. Lots of TTS skiers sing the praises of this ski, but I suspect no PMTS skiers would do likewise for all the reasons listed in this thread.

Personally, even for TTS style powder skiing, heavy crud skiing and forays over hard snow back to the lift I found the offerings by Nordica and several small company brands superior. But, I know a lot of TTS intermediates will be skiing these skis this season and probably handling crud, chop, trees and maybe even powder better than they ever have before.

But, as others have explicitly said, those are people who have no inclination to ski off-piste deeper snow differently or invest in modern expert techniques and PMTS.

Where do you ski? The bigger the hill, the wider the terrain the less you'd want a ski like this-even TTS skiers-I think.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby theorist » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:57 pm

Has anyone here been on the 2014 Stormriders, particularly the 95 or 100? I don't believe they have any tail rocker, and I suspect their tip rocker is modest.
theorist

Postby HighAngles » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:01 pm

I personally haven't been on them yet, but there has been discussion of them on other forums.

I'm not sure if the rocker profile of the 95 or 100 is the same as the 107, but here are some shots of the 107 and they look pretty tame in comparison to the Soul 7:

HighAngles

Postby Bingster » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:47 am

Max_501 wrote:The RnR is an agile pow ski. Fine in tight trees and bumps. If the RnR is giving you problems in short turns then something is missing on the technique side of your BPST.

I have a question about bindings selection for RnR. I remember people here talked about move the bindings a centimeter backward for powder skiing. But I think the factory default bindings, Head Mojo 15, doesn’t allow you to adjust bindings position easily. So how about Head Free Flex Pro 11 for RnR?

Another question, is brake arms width 115 too width for RnR?

Thanks.
Bingster

Postby dan.boisvert » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Bingster wrote:I have a question about bindings selection for RnR. I remember people here talked about move the bindings a centimeter backward for powder skiing. But I think the factory default bindings, Head Mojo 15, doesn’t allow you to adjust bindings position easily. So how about Head Free Flex Pro 11 for RnR?

Another question, is brake arms width 115 too width for RnR?

Thanks.

For ease of adjustment, the PowerRail series is way better than the FreeFlex Pro series. With the PowerRail bindings, you just flip up a lever, slide the heel/toepiece, and let the lever go back down. It takes all of 10 seconds and you don't need any tools. I had initially tried to get a pair of the PRD12's for my RnR's, but ended up with Peak 15's somehow. I can't remember why I did that--probably something about product availability or a deal I was getting at the time of purchase. I've had PRD12's on my iM78's for a couple/few years now though, and I'm happy with the way they ski.

I wouldn't anticipate a problem with 115mm wide brakes. It's pretty unlikely you're going to be laying these over far enough on hardpack for a slightly wider brake to be a problem, considering how much snow needs to fall to make it worth bringing out a ski this wide.
dan.boisvert

PreviousNext

Return to Gear