Monster/Peak 78 >> TT80

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Monster/Peak 78 >> TT80

Postby HighAngles » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:04 am

marsound - you haven't really missed anything. The method you're using is fine. If you adjust the binding strictly to match your BSL then the boot midsole mark will be aligned with the factory mark on the ski. If you adjust both the toe and heel forward or rearward by the same amount then you will be modifying your mount position.

I don't have a TT80 in front of me, but it may be that the factory mark is hidden by the binding mount.
HighAngles

Postby marsound » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks HighAngles. I've moved it forward in small increments, and I'm currently at about 1 cm. Much better, at least for me. Might go the full 1.5cm this weekend.
marsound

Postby AnI » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Marsound, reference to "+1.5 cm" comes from pre-defined settings on the Head Railflex Speedrail bindings. These bindings slide on a rail and can be fixed on it in one of three standard positions. There is a screw in the middle of the binding, between the heel and the toe pieces, and next to the cap which locks the toe and heel sliders in place. This screw helds the bindings on the rail. One removes the screw and slides the bindings as a whole along the rail to one of the three positions determined by pre-drilled holes which this srew can go into. These positions are labelled on the rail as "+15", "0", and "-15". The indicator which shows these numbers is right next to the screw. It is not on the ski itself but on the bindings. If you have a different type of bindings, your only option is to move toe and heel pieces in the same direction by the same amount. The "+15 mm" position is not a magic number which comes from high tech considerations. It is simply a pre-defined setting of the Head rail bindings. There is no reason not to try +20 mm or +25 mm if you are in a testing mood, but people rarely go beyond the beaten path. If you decide to test values greater than +1.5 cm, let us know how the ski feels with those positions!
AnI

Postby HighAngles » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:42 am

^^^ Good post - I'm sure that explanation provides some further clarity regarding mount position values and why some are chosen.

When people ask me why I use BoF to determine my mount points instead of the boot midsole mark I simply say that I've found that it works better for me. I prefer to balance from the BoF point on my feet rather than from the midsole position.

There are a lot of variables in play when determining the best mount position and everyone's morphology differs enough that the best way to determine what is best for you is through simple experimentation. Luckily there are now a few bindings out there that make the job relatively easy. I just wish the manufacturers would mount their system bindings further forward so that we have equal access to more forward positions as the back positions. Both my Blizzard G-Power and Head Chip 78 skis have the bindings set as far forward as they can go because the "plates" start me out too far to the rear.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:29 pm

There is alot involved with finding the best mount point. Video is required to confirm hunches based on feeling.
Max_501

Previous

Return to Gear