Ski recommendation

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Ski recommendation

Postby meput » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:38 pm

Mac, I agree with you. At the time, I was considering a pair of Monster 78's. I needed to R/O any value to the AC 30's. There was not any.

I suspect marsound was considering the SS Magnum's might be a more versatile ski for western skiing because they are "wider". Hopefully marsound will see the wisdom of your posts and dan.boisvert's post re: SS Magnums (any forum readers who enjoy the SS Magnums, please speak up :twisted:)

Bottom line, the iSS is a great ski for the PMTS student.
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby Mac » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:23 pm

The Monster 78 is still narrow enough to carve on. I skied the new Peak 78 a couple of weeks ago, they will plow through anything.
Once again, I want to make it clear. I'm not saying the SS Magnum is a bad ski, it's not, I know of a lot of very good skiers that like them. I will say though, that it might be better suited for western conditions.
Mac

Postby meput » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Mac,
Once again, I agree with you. The SS Magnum's have a good reputation. Even HH's shop web site displays them as available through them. I did not care for them myself - my personal opinion.

In regards to the Monster 78/Peak 78, I ended up buying a pair of iM 78's the end of last season. They do ski well in crud conditions. They do carve nicely (much better than the AC 30's). They are not my go to skis though: the iSS's are. The iM 78's rarely leave home except on days of probable crud, powder (I am dreaming here in Maine), or spring conditions.

If I had to choose between the iSS or iM78, I would choose the iSS's (even for western skiing learning PMTS)
Walk to run. Tip to turn.
meput

Postby marsound » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm sold - the iSS in a 170 will be a good learning ski with plenty of versatility. I'll keep my eye out for end of season deals or a lightly used pair (looks like forerunner is sold out in that length). Thanks again!

p.s.

FWIW, meput's comments on the AC30 are interesting: my brother, a very good skier (with traditional technique), seemed to have a difficult time on his AC30s when trying some of the practice exercises from the Essentials book. Of course, this may be due to other factors, but seems more than coincidental...
marsound

Postby Mac » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:29 pm

I have two other options for you. Roger's Ski Shop in Lincoln, NH, had a new leftover pair of last years 170 SS w/binding. They were asking $669. Startingate Ski Shop in Bondville, VT, (startingate.net) has also got some 170's. I was negoiating with them a while ago for a new pair. They were willing to match the price that Roger's quoted me. But that was a while ago. The later into the season we get, the more willing they ought to be to do business.
Mac

Postby mike_m » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Head Monster 78's (Peter Keelty Ski of the Year) on sale in Gear forum. you might check them out.
mike_m

Postby ginaliam » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Although they just don't fill up or fly-off the ski shop walls like they should-there are a lot of great choices in this category (shorter radius 66-72 mm waisted ski, with good medium flex-good skis to develop modern skills on and grow with). Head makes great skis in this category...and so do many of the other companies--so keep you're eyes open for bargains-I've found the quality (in terms of manufacture and design) of Elan, Dynastar, Fischer and Head to all be to a similar very high standard (I hear great things about the blizzards well). Rossi's higher end stuff is great, but it's skis in this category are lacking (and I work in a shop where we sell them) Folks we've dealt with have had good luck with:
Fischer Progressor 8+
Fischer Progressor 7+ (a great ski that doesn't seem to sell well-look for bargains)
Elan Speedwave 12 & 14 (careful of going to long on the 14)
Dynastar Contact Cross Ti (or the previous year Contact 10)

Also-FWIW I spent some time on a lesser known ski this week by the revived Hart Skis: The Pulse.

The Hart Pulse is fatter than the typical PMTS learning ski with a 76mm waist. But at a 170cm length it has a 14m turn radius (which is pretty good). It has a slightly softer than average flex, but with a wood and metal core it has a lot of bite on hard snow. I found it to be a very pleasurable, easy skiing all mountain carver. One of the best midfats I've tried, and I'd think well-suited to someone relearning the sport of skiing who still wants to ski the whole mountain.

Just some thoughts-Good Luck.
ginaliam

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Just a note that I've found that the ideal PMTS development ski has a radius of 12M or less.
Max_501

Postby marsound » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:49 pm

ginaliam, thanks for the recommendations - all are skis that I've considered; but as Max_501 points out, a turn radius of 12m or less is the way to go for learning PMTS.

Max, any opinions on the Fischer Progressor 8+? It's listed as having a radius of 12-15. I think the radius changes toward the tail? It gets great reviews...
marsound

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm

marsound wrote:Max, any opinions on the Fischer Progressor 8+? It's listed as having a radius of 12-15. I think the radius changes toward the tail? It gets great reviews...

Can't help with that one.
Max_501

Postby Jwthe2nd » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:07 pm

I know this is a very old thread, but I would like to ask a general question:
Is it easier to release and transfer stance to the new stance foot little toe edge using a narrow (66 mm waist) ski compared to a mid fat(85 mm waist) ski?
Thanks.
Jwthe2nd

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:49 pm

Jwthe2nd wrote:I know this is a very old thread, but I would like to ask a general question:
Is it easier to release and transfer stance to the new stance foot little toe edge using a narrow (66 mm waist) ski compared to a mid fat(85 mm waist) ski?
Thanks.

Yes and by a noticeable margin.
Max_501

Postby Jwthe2nd » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:25 pm

Thanks Max, so glad to hear this. Confirms many thoughts and answers many questions.
Jwthe2nd

Postby midwif » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:04 pm

And your knees will thank you as well.
midwif

Previous

Return to Gear