WC GS Racing Changes

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

WC GS Racing Changes

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:22 am

Does anyone know the time line for the changes in ski radius for the WC GS races over the last few years?
Max_501

Re: WC GS Racing Changes

Postby Marek » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:07 pm

Max_501 wrote:Does anyone know the time line for the changes in ski radius for the WC GS races over the last few years?

Jump from r23 to r>27 ? 07/08, I think. This change is ( was ) criminal :evil:
Marek
Marek

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:31 pm

That's right, but women went only from 21m to 23m. Not as bad but, still the wrong direction.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:39 pm

What the FIS should do is, restrict only how narrow the GS skis are underfoot and let the racers and manufacturers figure out what the fastest radius is for the different courses. The FIS has killed ski innovation.
h.harb

Postby HighAngles » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Resurrecting this old thread since I was thinking about it after watching some of the GS races.

Think of how interesting it would be if they let the racer pick whatever sidecut radius they felt would work best for them in the course. Some might feel that forcing everyone onto basically the same ski (except for differences in construction materials) levels the playing field, but as a gear aficionado I would enjoy seeing that added "variable" thrown into the racing mix.

It's odd that sidecut radius isn't restricted in SL, but it is in GS. They should be more consistent in the rules for the tech events.
HighAngles

Postby Jjmdane » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:00 pm

One way around being forced into a specific radius would be the ski companies utilizing subtle early rise in the tip thus offsetting a longer radius. This may already be happening. I don't think there are any FIS regulations regarding contact points in the tip and tail. If they are not going to match course sets with side cut rules GS will suffer in my opinion.
Jjmdane

Return to Gear