Calling all BOOT experts!

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Calling all BOOT experts!

Postby Giorgio » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:54 am

Having read all that I can so far on boots/boot fitting a couple of things occur to me. First, boots do seem to be the most important as far as safety and performance goes.

What I would like to know is, what is the cheapest way to properly get into boots?

Now before all the replies about "boots being cheaper than surgery", and "how much are your knees worth" and "you get what you pay for" comments, please wait. :lol:

Is there not a boot and fitting process that is relatively inexpensive and yet effective for the slow speeds and gentle turns of a beginner? That after being "outgrown" in a season or two can be replaced?

From all I read, (granted, many of the sources "have boots to sell") it appears that by the time I buy the appropriate boots and fit them I am looking at 1000 USD not counting the bloody travel to get to the fitter! :shock:

Which is bad enough on it's own, but when one factors in being "kitted out" from nothing to go skiing with all the equipment (I will rent skis and poles at beginning) and lessons it is rather prohibitive. Just as it is not necessary to have a Ferrari/Mercedes to have a safe decently performing car surely there must be some alternatives, yes?

As I have said in another post, this is complicated by my having a full size difference between feet (13/47 and 12/46) and narrow, low volume feet. I have no interest in an avoidable injury, but can somebody out there offer some qualified advice? Help! :lol:
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton
Giorgio

Postby milesb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:18 am

You will want to call or e-mail Chris Brown. Let him know what your concerns are, I'm sure he can help you work something out.
http://www.harbskisystems.com/appoint.htm
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby rlspalding » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:16 am

Im no boot expert, but I know I replied to you other posts about boots. Yes, while my boots cost about $900 total, I also mentioned to talk to where ever you do go to get your boots fit. Im sure they can find some less expensive options.

I knew that I will be skiing 6 days in Colorado and about 25 days in Korea. I am an intermediate skier and I am working on getting more skiing days in, and I know that I will continue skiing for a long time. So with all of this in mind, I went to the boot fitter with no cost limit and decided to get whatever boot fit the best and worked. If this option cost $200 or $1000...unfortunately for me, my feet happened to like the Nordica Dobermans (ouch), but Im sure if I had told Chris that my budget was $500/600, Im sure he could have found something that would have worked.
rlspalding

Return to Gear