Raptor forward lean

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Raptor forward lean

Postby skinny » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 pm

The forward lean on the Raptor series seems extreme. The forward lean is 17 and the ramp angles is 5. For comparison sake, here are the figures for several other high performance boots. Compared to all but the Solomon lab, the Raptor seems to be off the charts. With 17 degrees, I can feel my thighs burning just standing in lift lines. I thought Harold Harb advocated more of an upright stance, but he loves the Raptor. The boot fit me great in the shop, tight in all the right places, but I'm not sure if the boot set up would be good for an upper intermediate. Can anyone enlighten me?

Nordica Aggressor 150 315mm, fwd=12, ramp=4 net=8
Nordica Doberman 130 315mm, fwd=12, ramp=4 net=8
Tecnica Diablo race 130 311mm, fwd=13, ramp=5 net=8
Salomon Falcon race 315mm, fwd=13, ramp=6 net=7
Atomic RT CS 110 fwd=14, ramp=4 net=10
Tecnica XT17 fwd=12, ramp=5 net=7
Salomon S lab fwd=15, ramp=5 net=10

John
skinny

Postby Ron » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:20 am

John, if you can get to a good fitter they can easily adjust the lean on any boot. There are different approachs but it can be adjusted. Don't let stop you from buying a great boot. I also like the Falcon 10. A toe lift is a simple solution, the fitter just needs to plane down the top of the boot /binding tab to accomodate the size. I have Atomic RT Ti's and I am very upright and neutral. Finding a good fitter is key.
Thanks

Ron
Ron

Postby skinny » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. I suppose you are correct and I do have a good boot fitter in mind who does not sell boots but is very well regarded.

I've tried on the Raptor 120 RS and Raptor Supershape RS and while I liked am probably better suited for the flex of the Raptor supershape, I found the two boots to fit very different even though they both have the RS last. The 120 RS seemed to fit much tighter (better) in all areas of my foot.
skinny

Return to Gear