Elan SLX 165

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Elan SLX 165

Postby Bolter » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:42 am

I have never skied on a radius of less than 18m (I know it sounds impossible/unlikely) and spend a lot of time (training/race) on 21m GS skis.

This is all going to change- I have the opportunity to ski on the Elan SLX Fusion Pro in 155, 160, 165 or 170cm. I will get a 178 GSX Fusion Pro as a "cheater" GS and will continue to ski on the WC GSX (183cm).

I will immerse myself in PMTS this season (I can not wait) and the SLX 165cm may be the right ski for this and SL which I have not trained in a long time. Any thoughts or advise will be greatly appreciated. JR
Bolter

Postby Heluva Skier » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:55 pm

Thats a great ski actually. You will love the rebound. Despite the stiff flex (really stiff ski) it skis VERY soft because of the huge side cut. Definitely do not go shorter than 165cm. They also prefer to be skied from the center of the ski versus way up front on the tips (very different from how a "racey-er" stock slalom ski would react to the same input). Make sure you ski them with a .5 degree base bevel - otherwise they hook up well after the high-C portion of the turn, which will just be frustrating. My brother really likes his with a 3 degree side bevel but skis them at 1 degree on the base and they drive me nuts to ski on them. Great skis though.
Later
GREG
I Ski.

All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

aka. HeluvaSkier
Heluva Skier

SLX

Postby Bolter » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:44 am

GREG, Thanks for your right to the point advice. I have (additional) brushes coming and will have a ridge/spine to set on.
Bolter

Re: SLX

Postby Heluva Skier » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Bolter wrote:I have (additional) brushes coming and will have a ridge/spine to set on.

For personal use or for working with the staff at your mountain?
I Ski.

All-Mountain: A common descriptive term for boots or skis that are designed to perform equally poorly under a variety of conditions and over many different types of terrain.

aka. HeluvaSkier
Heluva Skier

Postby Bolter » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:29 pm

This year, the ridge with brushes will be a part of our terrain park. We set brushes on several trails for anyone to ski/ride and train. It is a fact that if you set a single gate folks will turn around it- on both sides, just cause it is there, acting as a magnet to skiers/riders The brush courses are value added for our guests, no charge. Some of the highest usage comes on our beginner hill, where a qualified coach is stationed to help anyone who wishes. This generates interest in lessons and is a draw for the Ski School. JR
Bolter

Silly mistake

Postby Bolter » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 pm

FWIW. I must retract a part of my first post in this thread. It has been 10 years since skiing a hyper short radius ski. "Never" was not accurate. Sorry. JR
Bolter

Postby Heluva Skier » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:24 pm

Bolter, that is a really cool idea! My home mountain used to do something similar to draw in lessons. We had an on-snow video analysis booth. A light would flash telling a skier when to go and they would record you down a pitch. An instructor was stationed at the bottom giving pointers and letting you review the video on a monitor that faced the outside of the booth (viewed through a window). It was a great draw for the ski school, but unfortunately it was shut down a few seasons ago due to cutting costs.
I Ski.

aka. HeluvaSkier
Heluva Skier

Postby Bolter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:11 am

To whom it may concern, If this thread should be moved somewhere other than GEAR FORUM please do so, sorry for any trouble.

GREG, That sounds like Greek Peak to me. I was the Tech Director there for several years under Terry B and Gordy Richardson. The PCS (coaching system) was all our doing, very progressive and years ahead of most areas in the late 80's. Gordy left it up to TB and I to invent the Coaching Stations, video booths and systems/stations to address all skiers. We were very lucky to have a forward thinking director and learned a great deal in the process.

If shaped skis and PMTS were available at that time, we would have had it all!

Everyone benefited- program kids, Nastar racers, Masters, Ski Club, SS staff, Patrol and most importantly the general skiing public. Gates and video all over the place, all value added, a great training atmosphere. I accomplished something close (better IMO) to PCS years later in Breckenridge under Joel Munn, another very progressive director.

Given the green light and financial support of the GM and Hill Manager a SS Director can do wonders.
Bolter

Postby Heluva Skier » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:40 am

Bolter, that is very interesting to hear. Over the last few seasons some strides have been taken to "reinvent" some of those old programs I think. There are now "skill stations" located in several areas on the mountain that address different skills on different days. sometimes there will be an obstacle course, other times there is a "race" type course, etc. There is unfortunately not more video though. There are still some good programs going on there (revitalized in the last few seaons). If I end up there during the week this year I am going to look into starting up a real week-night adult training program (not just the beer league stuff they do).
Later
Greg
I Ski.

aka. HeluvaSkier
Heluva Skier

Postby Bolter » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:25 pm

That is encouraging and good to hear, PCS lasted quite awhile. From the outside looking in- when Gordy retired PCS lost some traction and over time the SS reverted back to "normal" TTS. There is talent there but I don't know the inner circle any longer. I got a call from Pat Crowley not long ago, he is the SS night Sup and may be of help to you. The Peak could use your help, it is an area that is worth it.
Have you skied with Boo Richardson?
Bolter

Return to Gear