Head 07 -08 skis

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head 07 -08 skis

Postby h.harb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:55 am

This is a tough question.

In brief, the skis we find most revolutionary for the coming season are the new Head Xenon 7.0 and 9.0.
http://www.head.com/ski/products.php?re ... ons&id=914

Diana and I tested the 7.0 and the 9.0. We liked the 7.0 very much in all conditions with all skiers. Even though the ski is beyond my normal width recommendation, it doesn?t ski like a wide ski. It?s quick and it really carves. It?s quick in the bumps, which is amazing in itself. It also has spring and feels lively.

We had some of our campers test the skis and they loved them. I had a very strong skier; who skis all black diamond, bump runs and steeps. He weights at least 220lbs and is 6?-2?. He finds the 170cm ski supports his skiing well and makes the bumps disappear. I found the same thing with these skis. They are super light, but don?t have the down side of light skis we?ve known in the past. They are stable at speed. They hold well on ice.

I will have a pair for most of my teaching and free skiing this season.

The verdict is still out on the 9.0. We found the ski too stiff in the tail. It also felt slow in transition, it requires more effort to tip to new edges and requires skiing at higher speed. The ski didn?t come through the turn with a consistent arc. I have to comment, these were early test skis, on occasion like with some early Super Shapes, the factory did some tuning of flex and arc shape this past season before the production run. I?m sure they will get it right, that?s Head?s strength, and they know how to make skis bend arcs.

I?ll report back in November after I test the new production versions.

The difference between the Head wider skis (70mm to 75mm) compared to other manufacturer product we test, is the Head?s feel like they bend, hold and respond in a controllable way. Many of the wide skis from other popular companies are very stiff; they don?t feel friendly or forgiving. Head skis always feel forgiving. I caution skiers though, there are skis in the Head line that are very beefy and are meant for the heavy, strong, ex-racer, high speed skiers. Be advised, Head is really serious about those skis and when they say they are meant for real experts, they mean it. For example, the Head Magnum SS, this is a very serious ski for aggressive all mountain skiers. I would not use it to teach or free skiing groomers. The regular Super Shape does fine for all these conditions, for all level skier. The Magnum is an all mountain 40mph charger, a great ski from the racer design department .
h.harb

Which wide ski

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:05 pm

Do you have suggestions for wide skis for the days when there's enough snow depth that more float is helpful? Maybe two suggestions, one for the really fluffy powder, and another for the heavier coastal fresh stuff.

Also, do you have suggestions for other brands of skis. Two problems---
---finding any narrow waisted skis in local ski shops here is tough.
---finding any Head skis in most local shops here is tough.

Fischer RX 6 or RX 8?
Nordica Pro SL or Dobie SL?
Dynastar Contact 9?

I notice that more ski makers are offering skis with a tighter radius and narrower underfoot...but that doesn't mean ski shops will stock them. K2 has some with good dimensions, but only in intermediate lines. Others have good dimensions only in slalom race lines.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Magnum SS vs. SS

Postby Tuomo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:36 am

According to Head home page the Magnum should be same kind of ski than Supershape but a little more versatile. That is the reason why I am thinking about buying them. So Harald could you tell why Magnum is more demanding and not suitable for avarege all mountain skiing? Is it stiffer or something else...

Tuomo
Ps. I have a pair of 160cm Head worldcup i.SL (chip) skis for slalom purposes and that's why I don't think that I need almost identical "original" Supershapes.
Tuomo

Postby Mac » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

I have read a review from a ski shop guy whose opinion I trust that has said that the Magnum has little in common with the original Supershape, that it is more in line with the Superspeeds, that is real race ski construction, a stiff, beefy hard snow charger, and not a ski to relax on. He said that if this is the kind of ski you are looking for, then fine, but if not, then don't even consider it. This kind of mirrors what Harald has just said, and the chance of them both being wrong are pretty microscopic, IMO. Not exactly the kind of ski I'm looking for. I would much rather have a stable ski with all mountain abilities. I also have a friend that had a pair of iSL's, and has since bought a pair of the Supershapes to complement them. I haven't skied the iSL's, so I couldn't tell you what the difference is, but it may be worth your while to wait and demo first before you buy.
Mac

Postby Tuomo » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 pm

Thank you for you reply Mac.

If Magnum is like superspeed then it's not a ski for my need. I'm little surprised that Head gives different information on their web-page but marketing is sometimes quite missleading. I just have to wait a demo possibility... hopefully the snow comes early this year.
Tuomo

Postby Mac » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 am

I am always leary of skis that are classified in the race category. Whether they are really race skis or not, they usually don't have the qualities that I look for in a ski. I think the Supershape is an abborition, that is it has the same construction and performance of a race ski, but also has the forgivness and versatility of an all mountain ski. Those tendencies don't usually coexist in the same ski, and that's what makes it special, a one of a kind type of ski.
Mac

Xenon 9

Postby MonsterMan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:05 pm

looking forward to your production model report Harold. The nines look in theory better for the deep snow in Japan and I was thinking about getting a pair for my wife, but worried that they might not be the best for camp at Hintertux.

I think I made a mistake in getting the 170 SuperShape magnums for her birthday, :-) I get to keep them for my camp ski !!!
MonsterMan

RX 8

Postby skidaddle » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:35 am

Ken,
Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on much lately and only lurking.

I got a pair of the RX 8 last year and love them. These are the first pair of short turn radius skis I have had so you can factor that in with the comments. I have a pair of Head monster IM 75 as my previous ski. The Fischers are very quick, smooth, responsive, and carve like crazy. They are an excellent ski. The only thing I noticed was they are not as rock solid at speed as the IM 75. They are good, but not quite as confidence inspiring.

I have them in 170cm. I am 6' 2" and weigh 195. I ski mostly 70/30 on groomed and don't mind it steep. I am learning to ski bumps and off piste. Been skiing 6yrs and will be 52 this year.

Hope this helps.

Skidaddle
skidaddle

any news on the production models

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:05 am

Any news on the production model Xenons??
MonsterMan

Return to Gear