Head Raptor Supershape for intermediate

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head Raptor Supershape for intermediate

Postby skinny » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:20 pm

I'm an advancing intermediate continuing to develop carving skills. I'm 42, 5'9" 165-170 pounds. Good athlete in general. I'll be skiing on new Fisher RX8s this year moving up from Head ic160s. I'm interested in any feedback on whether the Head Raptor Supershape will be too much boot for me. It's the low end of the Raptor line with a flex of 110/100, but still listed as a race boot. I tried it on in a ski shop this week and was really surprised about how good the boot felt.
skinny

Postby skinny » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:59 am

Anyone? I'm also considering the Salomon Falcon 10 and the Dalbello Krypton Cross. Assuming, I can get a good fit with each of these, I'm looking for the ski best suited to my description above and with an emphasis on improving carving skills.
skinny

Postby jbotti » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Skinny, based on your size (height and weight) the Raptor Supershape flex should be fine for you. I am 6 3" 190 and my boots have a 130 flex from head and they are definitely not too stiff. Having said all this, I think foot shape and size are just as important (actually more so) as flex. Getting a boot with the right last for your foot is the most important thing. Flex can be softened but not stiffened just as boots can be enlarged some to fit a foot, but you can never make a shell smaller. I believe that the Raptor SS is a 99mm last (vs 95mm for the Raptor RD 130 and 150). This means it is a medium to slightly tight last. If you have skiiny feet as I do these boots will be too large.

If your question is about flex, I believe that you will be fine in these boots. I beleive that the Salomon Falcon 10 is a 98mm last boot and my guess is tha the flex will be similar to the Raptor SS. I know nothing about the Dalbellos.

In case you don't already know, try on several different pairs of boots. Buy them on the small side (if they have no hot spots at all they are most likely too large) and it is always best to work with a knowledgable and honest bootfitter. Shell all boots before you try them on with liners. 1 centimeter behind the heel is a tight fit, 2 centimeters is the maximum space you should ever have behind the heel.

You can help this process along for yourself by measuring your feet and knowing how wide they are so you can choose a boot with an appropriate last.

I hope that helps some.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear