New Boots: Not what I wanted but what I needed (it seems)

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

New Boots: Not what I wanted but what I needed (it seems)

Postby nugget » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Many thanks to the input received relating to the Nordica Beast geometry and whether it was/is suitable for PMTS.
I enlisted the help of a local bootfitter who divides his time between New Zealand and Canada. He is not versed specifically in Harb Alignment (no one is in NZ) but he did understand the concept of Rotary vs Lateral boots and recommended the Atomic B90 for its lateral tipping ability and its relative geometry (similar forward lean to the Speedmachine apparently) for my particular foot. A PMTS instructor who I have communicated with also recommended this guy due to his racing and coaching background.
The boot was reasonably snug in the heel pocket but wide in the forefoot for my "flippers" and it still required some modification (a punch here and there). I relayed my concerns relating to PMTS theory and methods and that I wanted a boot that would be complimentary.
We looked at some Head models which had a great out-of-box fit but due to short legs, foot structure and bulky calves created some problems.
Also managed a decrease in my shell size from 26.5 to 25.5 and got a liner that would not pack out too much ). He modified my footbed which was posted somewhat aggressively in relation to my previous boot to allow for appropriate foot/ankle movement inside the boot.
Alignment was followed by an on-snow assessement at an indoor snow arena (http://www.snowplanet.co.nz).
Prior to actually skiing in the boot I was ambivalent to say the least and there were some sleepless nights wondering as to whether I had done the right thing/s. There has been some negative press about Atomics (except for the racing series) but I was very pleasantly surprised by the boot performance.
I managed to borrow said bootfitters 'Supershapes' (he is a Head enthusiast ++) as well which proved even more advantageous to tipping and serious carving (I have subsequently purchased same at ($1600.00 NZD ... yes very expensive but from my limited experience an absolutely outstanding ski).
I recieved some postive feedback pertaining to my rapid tipping and edge changes with a (reasonably at best) stable upper body.
This is thanks to practising PMTS drills and tipping board practice.
Hopefully, I will get to post some footage at some stage and get some constructive criticism which will lead to further improvements. That is a daunting prospect but what a supportive community the PMTS one is.
Thanks again.
I enjoy reading the posts whatever the topic because there is much informative commentary and experience out there.
Many many thanks to HH for creating and promoting a systematic approach to ski instruction which has led to very progressive learning for me and this is from books and videos/dvd's. Now if only we could have a camp down here in the southern hemisphere (ie, New Zealand).
nugget

Postby fredm8 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:36 am

I'll second the idea of a camp down under during our winter here.
Harald, pack those skis. :-)

Jim Mutch is doing ski tuning lessons at the Newmarket SnowCentre if you are interested. On the cover of his tuning book is "Certified PMTS Direct Parallel Ski Instructor". Most interesting 1.5hrs on ski (& snowboard) tuning.
Changed my appreciation of ski tuning.

Now we just need the snow to ski on ..... :D
Douglas

From the land of the long white cloud, a land down under.
fredm8

Return to Gear