I need criteria for PMTS boot shopping

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

I need criteria for PMTS boot shopping

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:51 am

I am going to shop for new boots and I would like to purchase a pair that is PMTS compatable. What should I look for? I am intermediate to advanced, about 200lbs. I hope to attend a Harb camp next season but have been attempting to self teach by using the 3 books. My foot is as flat as a pancake. Thanks for suggestions in advance.
Ray

Postby jbotti » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:45 am

Ray, in the first book ACBAES1, Harald gives an in depth description of Lateral vs. Rotary boots. Read this section and you will understand that what you will be looking for are Lateral boots. Rotary boots have lots of forward lean and a high ramp angle, and less lateral stiffness. Tecnica's recreational line is generally comprised of lateral boots. Higher end boots from Nordica, Salomon and Head are all Lateral boots.

At your weight, you will be shopping for higher end boots, so you will have less of an issue with seeing rotary boots.

Excessive forward lean is generally to be avoided. If you are tall, you can use more forwrad lean than someone shorter. Lange and tecnica are notorious for excessive froward lean in their recreational boots (even the high end ones), although in theri race lines it is less of an issue.

In general, Head boots have the least forward lean, followed by Nordica and then Salomon. JB.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Ray » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Thank you for the great information. I guess I will look for Head, Nordica or Salomon. I live near San Francisco. Is there a good boot fitter nearby? I hear that Elite Feet at Squaw Valley is quite good. I would like to go to the Harb center but I cant justify a trip to CO. for boots alone.
Ray

Postby skinny » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:18 pm

I understand that Head will have a new boot in 2008 with a more upright stance/cuff. The Head Raptor 120 RS. Anyone else have any info on this?

thanks
skinny

Postby rlspalding » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:52 am

Ray wrote: I would like to go to the Harb center but I cant justify a trip to CO. for boots alone.

Then combine it with a trip to Vail!!! Then you can do an alignment and ski instruction!!

I did that recent, it was well worth it!

Or Ive been wanting to go to a camp, if only I didnt have to work!
rlspalding

Postby Icanski » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:59 pm

Get to the skunk works, it's worth it. I came all the way from Canada, with no regrets. My feet are happy and my skiing's better.
Icanski
Icanski

Postby milesb » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:28 pm

Ray wrote:Thank you for the great information. I guess I will look for Head, Nordica or Salomon. I live near San Francisco. Is there a good boot fitter nearby? I hear that Elite Feet at Squaw Valley is quite good. I would like to go to the Harb center but I cant justify a trip to CO. for boots alone.

It sounds like you need footbeds too. Just go ahead and make the trip, get the footbeds and alignment service so you don't feel bad about "just for boots".
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

if you usually go to tahoe

Postby hayduke » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:22 am

several of my friends have had very good experience with bud heishman . he is also a ski instructor. his shop is in reno. i can get better details if you wish
hayduke

Postby milesb » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:36 pm

I am sure Bud is very good at what he does, but you want to make sure that your footbeds are made to support the PMTS movements. It's possible that Bud knows how to do this, or is enough of a stand-up guy to admit it it he doesn't. However, I do know from his posts on Epic that he recommends leg steering to try to improve short turns, and has made other posts that support movements antithecal to PMTS. My opinion is that if you want to learn PMTS, find people certified in it for bootwork and lessons. Otherwise there is a really good chance that you are throwing time and money away.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby rlspalding » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:20 am

I thought I'd re-emphasize:
if your a intermediate/advance skier, do you take a yearly ski trip somewhere? If you do, why not make sure its somewhere you can get to from Denver, and on the way to the resort swing in harb's shop...its on the way to pretty much all of the resorts..ie Keystone, Brekkenridge, Vail, Aspen...

Then you'll be guaranteed to get a boot fitting and alignment that is Harb certified!
rlspalding

Re: I need criteria for PMTS boot shopping

Postby KFC » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:46 pm

I am going to CO the coming weekend. I could not find the address of Harb's shop. Please help.

Thanks!
Leo
KFC

Re: I need criteria for PMTS boot shopping

Postby rlspalding » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:39 am

I know your probably already gone but I believe the shop information is at pmts.org website. its called Skunkworks.
rlspalding

Return to Gear