Another Supershape question

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Postby skiman123321 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:07 pm

I am a female, 5'5", weighing 145 lb, and late 50ish. I am learning PMTS and have a way to go.

I am considering the Supershape in the 160 length and have been able to find last years ski a discount. If I am not mistaken, last years ski was simply called an I Supershape, while this years is named an I Supershape CP13. Also, last years ski was 1 mm wider in tip, waist and tail. I don't think that there is much difference otherwise.

I understand that I should demo skis before buying, but that option is not available to me where I live. The question I have is will the ski work for me given that I am not an aggressive skier or will it over power me? I am currently skiing a 175 "not too shaped" ski and need a change.

I have also been offered last years I.SL at a discount but I don't think that is the ski I want.

Thanks for any help.
skiman123321

160 should be great

Postby DVLocal » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:00 pm

I am 62 and weight about 160-165.

I was thinking about a set of 160 cm Super shaped and then found a pair on sale of 165's. They are great for me. No thoughts of going shorter.

Much more work on the short turns than the iM72's I also have. More pressure on the legs on the shorter radius turns.

Enjoy them. Peter's review in Real Skiers is on - straight run so so, so stay on an edge, forgiveness much lower, soft edge more sensitive.

Colin
DVLocal

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:20 pm

Because I didn't really want to "rip" and I wanted to spend more time on ungroomed vs. groomed but yet wanted that 12 M feel, I just got a Dynastar Contact 09. It is supposedly somewhat easier to manage than the SS and handles well in a wide variety of conditions ... which I have put to the test and it sure does.

So if you want something that requires less "attention" than the SS, give it a look. There is also the chance it might be a better choice for a lighter skier, but I'm no expert on that. I used a 165 and have a skiing weight probably around 205.

Just to save you some time the SS is 121/66/106 and the 09 122/68/102; both claim about 12 meters.
NoCleverName

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 pm

I am a female, 5'5", weighing 145 lb, and late 50ish
Can you find a pair of the 155s? I'm 6', 200#, ski pretty hard, and I'm on the 170s, and the 165s probably would have been OK for me. The 160s might be OK for you, but if you're an easy going skier, shorter is better. Anyone here on the 155s or 160s with more input?

CP13 means that it comes with a Carve Plate 13 mm high. That is the same this year and last. The carve plate is predrilled for Tyrolia bindings...I think it'll take any except the Railflex line. Be sure you find a binding with the DIN setting low enough for you. I'm not sure I trust any binding set right at the bottom of the scale. Because the plate is predrilled, you can change your binding position fore & aft with little trouble. Try it at least 1 cm forward of the mark, and I'd try it 2 or 3 cm forward and see how you like that.

I think this year's and last are the same except for the graphics.

"i." in front of the name of the Head skis means, "The vision behind HEAD Intelligence Technology (originally developed for use in helicopter rotor blades) was to make a ski that delivers perfect performance relative to any terrain and in all riding modes. The success of Intelligence has proven us right. Intellifibers positioned at 45? in front of the binding transform mechanical impulses into electrical energy. The harder you ride, the more energy is produced. The electrical energy is led back to the Intellfibers. This causes them to stiffen up, putting more rebound and torsional stiffness into the ski. The stiffening up of the Intellifibers during high-performance skiing achieves two things:
1) Their 45? position in front of the binding increases the ski?s torsional stiffness, pushing the edge into the snow in hard turns.
2) Intelligence progressively stabilizes the entire ski at high speeds."

I don't feel that the Supershapes require any special attention. I like mine a lot. They are stable for a straight run, skid OK, and carve great. The only problem I've gotten into is with too much tip pressure and too much edge angle on soft pack. The tip dug in and flung me like a pole vaulter getting launched off his pole. That was just once, and no other bobble at all.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby SrMike » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:17 am

One other thing to note about the Supershapes is how they respond based on the way they are tuned. I have been playing around with this and it makes quite a difference in the way the ski reacts and feels.

The ski comes tuned 2 side, 1 base from the factory and it's a good place to start. After skiing that setup a few times last year, I upped the side edge to 3 to get a little more grip. I've been skiing mine 1 base 3 side until this last weekend when I got a base grind and structure. (After 30 days on snow, they didn't hold wax anymore.) Now I have them at .5 base 3 side and they are really hooked up. It really narrowed the sweet spot of the ski. I like how quick the edge engages with this setup and how much grip it has on firm snow and ice. With less than perfect technique this setup is twitchy, so I'm not completely sure I like it yet. I'd like to try .75 base, but I don't have a base edge tool (I have. .5, 1.0 & 1.5.)

If you are willing to experiment a little I think you can find your ideal setup. I think this is one more positive thing about the Supershape in that it responds so well to how it's tuned. Pretty neat IMHO.
SrMike

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:22 am

SrMike wrote:If you are willing to experiment a little I think you can find your ideal setup. I think this is one more positive thing about the Supershape in that it responds so well to how it's tuned. Pretty neat IMHO.

I find this to be true for all of the race bred skis I own. I like the way a 1/2 degree base hooks up quick BUT its a tricky thing for freeskiing because sometimes it hooks up when I don't want it to! Great for running gates.
Max_501

Postby Sam Snead » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:52 am

Have a 07 160 SS with FF 14's - 6.5 din.

I'm 47 150 lbs male definitely an aspiring intermediate. Done the harb blue camp & privates with Harb & Co. No elite skier here.

Had the same reservations about the SS. Diana & Harald convinced me otherwise. Made a big improvement in my skiing. Solid, confidence inspiring. Yes it's true you cannot get sloppy and not the best if you like to casual swish the skis around. But if you follow the PMTS tenets (not perfectly mind you) and tip ?em over, you definitely do get that carving feeling. I use them in bumps & > foot of powder here at Whistler too. Also have the 88 in a 164.

I would say there?re great if you are committed to skiing and improving (aspiring?) using PMTS. Not for casual users. But that?s why most of use are here. BTW, my old ski was an IC160
Sam Snead

Re: Another Supershape question

Postby Candude » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:47 pm

skiman123321 wrote:I am a female, 5'5", weighing 145 lb, and late 50ish. I am learning PMTS and have a way to go.

I am considering the Supershape in the 160 length ...

Here are my two cents ... My wife and I are big proponents of women-specific skis for women, and I would recommend you start there.

If you like the Head brand than try to find the Fast Thang, which is an advanced ski for women. My wife skis the Salomon Rush 10 and loved it - she's about 5'4" and 125 and I would classify her as an advanced or expert skier.

From what you say about your skiing I think the SS would overpower you and you'd not find it enjoyable - same for the I.SL.

Of course it's difficult to give advice when I haven't seen you ski, but that's my two cents :lol:
Candude

Postby SrMike » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:36 pm

I seem to remember that the SuperShapes in a 160 and shorter were a softer flex than the 165 and up. Isn't the Fast Thang the same shape? It would be lighter, softer flexing and more forgiving. Another ski to consider is an XRC800 in a 163.
SrMike

Postby skiman123321 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:52 am

Thanks for all the information. This forum is great!
skiman123321

Postby Ken » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:40 pm

I've skied on my wife's i.XRC 800, 156 cm, and recommend them most highly. The Mrs. finds them to be the easiest turning skis she's been on, and I was very surprised to find how easily they carve and how well they hold an edge even for me at moderate speed. I use them as a teaching ski. The director of the ski school has tested the entire XRC line and feels those are great skis.

Ken
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:57 pm

BTW, we will have this on our web site, but for now here it is. We, Harb Ski Systems, will carry, Zip Fit Liners starting as soon as they are shipped.

If you have a used up liner or want more support, fill in space, get comfort etc, the Zip Fit?s have three densities and thicknesses of cork material. They are heated and inserted, they also form to the foot as they are skied.

Also, the Super Shapes work very well for intermediate skiers, if you get the right length, use the right movements (PMTS). If you are brushing the tails around without working toward tipping to an edge, which is the direction toward PMTS, you should stick to the 18meter radius 75mm plus waist, variety skis. Those skis act more like straight skis, which is, by the way, the method you were taught to ski, unless you have been dedicated to PMTS.

Tune a real ski .5 to .75 on the bottom and 3 degrees on the side and it will come alive. Lately we have been testing the new 08 Head line, the new Magnum Super Shape, is the best all around ski, it kills the Metron because the Magnum bends into an arc. It is wide enough for almost everything except bottomless and it carves, even on ice with a smooth strong feel.

The other ski we found great is the new Zenon 7.0. Don?t be fooled into getting the Xenon 9.0 they are too stiff and very different. The higher number doesn?t mean it?s a better ski or higher model.

The Xenon 7.0 has almost the same shape as the Magnum Super Shape, but is more forgiving for the intermediate, yet it hooks up a great arc and it is easy in the bumps, soft enough, yet holds an edge. The ski is super light and there is a ladies version, we already have some of these models out on the slopes and people love them.

The Xenon will replace the XRC line in 08, the 800XRC is still a great ski.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:09 pm

I think the shapes have it.
h.harb

Return to Gear