Boots for the Wife

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Boots for the Wife

Postby SrMike » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 am

Due to a 14 year old boy, who is growing like a weed, taking over my wife's ski boots, I'll be needing to get her new boots. She is 5'10" and has a size 11 woman's foot. She measures out about 27.0-27.5. I think her feet are normal width, with a normal arch and instep. Her toes are really long and there is a hint of a 6th toe. She is definitely knock kneed, so I know she needs a lateral boot. Also, she has broken her left foot at least once (bowling, believe it or not). She is a beginner with not much time on snow and she is not athletic. Any suggestions for what boot models to look at would be appreciated.

Since we live in Ohio and boot fitting is very hit or miss here, my thinking is if she plans to ski this to get the boots here. In the spring we will be in Dillon for a week, so we could get the alignment HSS done then. Or, if she has not gotten the boots by then and wants to ski, just go to HSS for all of it. I've got a pair of XRC 800s in a 177 with a demo binding for her to ski on, so skis are not a problem.

TIA, Mike
SrMike

Postby Mac » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:40 pm

My wife and two daughters all ski in Nordica women's boots, and they love them, although that is no guarentee that they will work best for your wife. But it does seem that Nordica fills a niche when it comes to women's boots. Ideally, the best thing to do would be to buy the boots and get them fit at Harald's shop, especially as it sounds like she has some issues going on there, and will probably need some alignment work to be done. If you can't wait till when you're in Dillon to buy the boots, just make sure that the shop you go to doesn't sell her a pair of boots that are too big. Ski shops are notorious for that. Make sure that they shell size her with the liner out of the boot. Any more than two fingers between her heel and the back of the shell with her toes touching the front of the toebox is too big. I'm not a professional bootfitter, this is just what I've learned from my own personal experience.
I don't think that you are doing your wife any favors by letting her ski on a pair of 177 XRC 800's. Far too much ski there for a beginner in my opinion. Harald had a pair of womens iC lightnings in a 163 (I think) at his shop when I was there about two weeks ago. I remember them because my wife skis on the same exact pair, and she absolutely loves them. Might be worth a call to find out if he's still got them.
Good luck
Mac

Postby SrMike » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:45 am

Most of the boots in the Nordica line are lateral boots, so that's a pretty good choice. I know about not getting boots too big; however, I've explained it to my wife and, based on my past experience with her, she puts comfort ahead of a proper fit. It's a long story. The shops here in Ohio don't make it any easier. Most don't do shell fits and they tend to fit for comfort over performance. OTOH, most of the customers around here aren't informed enough to know better either.

The ideal situation would be to take her the the skunk works to buy and fit the boots because: My wife sees the sales tech as a shop as the authority and takes their word over mine every time. Not a good situation if we happen to go to a shop staffed by idiots. :(

I think the skis will be OK for her. I asked Rich about it when I was out at HSS last March and he said the skis would be fine. At her height, 5' 10", and weight (which I won't divulge) it won't be too much ski for her. Plus, we have a plan B if needed. (Another long story)

Lastly, she may not get to ski as all this season. She was in an auto accident in October, with air bag deployment, and, while she didn't break anything, she has a lot of soft tissue damage that is not healing well. We're not even going to think about getting her boots until we are sure she can ski.
SrMike

Postby tommy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:16 am

she puts comfort ahead of a proper fit

What I found truly amazing about Harb ski systems boot fitting, is that proper fit doesn't have to contradict comfort! A couple of years ago, HH and Diana advised me on boots - brand, model AND size, and my initial thought was that the recommended (small!) size would be way too uncomfortable. However, after a fitting session, with new footbeds and some work done on the liner, the boots have a very tight fit, but are as comfortable as a second skin!

The only "pain" associated with these boots is the process of stepping in and stepping out of them, particularly in low temp's, but other than that, I've got no problems wearing them all day, tightly buckled.

cheers,
Tommy
Prediction is difficult, particularly about the future
tommy

Postby SrMike » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:06 am

tommy wrote:
she puts comfort ahead of a proper fit

What I found truly amazing about Harb ski systems boot fitting, is that proper fit doesn't have to contradict comfort! A couple of years ago, HH and Diana advised me on boots - brand, model AND size, and my initial thought was that the recommended (small!) size would be way too uncomfortable. However, after a fitting session, with new footbeds and some work done on the liner, the boots have a very tight fit, but are as comfortable as a second skin!

The only "pain" associated with these boots is the process of stepping in and stepping out of them, particularly in low temp's, but other than that, I've got no problems wearing them all day, tightly buckled.

You are right on the money. You can have performance and comfort. Here's where it gets tricky.

If the wife decides she to ski this winter here in Ohio, she has no boots. (Unless she uses the one we handed down to my son) We can get boots here, but... (see above posts) When we go to CO, we can get her boots, but I'm not sure she will want to ski with no prior days on snow.

One thing I won't do is buy a pair of boots here and have to turn around and buy another pair out in CO. I figure if I know what boots to look at we can find the best performance fit where she still can find the comfort she wants. Then we can get it tweaked in CO.

Plan B is to "borrow" the boots back from the boy when he is not using them so she can get some time on snow. The boots in question are Salomon Eclipse 8.0 size 28.0. (BTW, is this a lateral or rotary boot?) They are a little big (2.5 finger shell fit) for her. I figure she should be able to get into a 26.5 or 27.0 with a good performance fit though.
SrMike

Postby Hobbit » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:39 pm

Here is "plan C" :wink:

Since your wife and your son use the same boot size, get a tight boot and give it to your kid (he might not complain as much about the comfort part) and when you are in Colorado switch the boots and have the new boots fitted properly.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby SrMike » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:07 am

Plan C could work, but it also might open up a can of worms with the wife and kids too.

I talked to Chris @ HSS yesterday afternoon for a few minutes and explained the situation to him. His initial reaction was that she could be in a 26.5, but as I explained the situation to him he said that if he was doing the fitting and she requested a more comfortable fit he would go with it. (You know - that customer directed thing) He basically said he would try to get her in the smallest size she would wear though. Other than that he mentioned some brands to stay away from.

I guess I'll just have try and guide her as much as I can to a good solution. Then hopefully talk her into going to HSS in April.
SrMike

Return to Gear