White Outs thru the years

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

White Outs thru the years

Postby Jjmdane » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:01 am

Anyone have a feel for changes or ,lack there of ,in the Blossom White Out (now AM77) over the years. I have some from at least 4/5 years ago and they ski great, so much so I use them judiciously to not wear them out. I have an obscene quiver so it wouldn’t be a problem if they were gone but I feel an attachment to them.
Jjmdane

Re: White Outs thru the years

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:08 am

I started skiing White Outs in 2012... and since then have owned 2014, 2017, and 2022... and possibly one more.

Here' s a link to my original review of the WO from January 2012: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3632

Across all of those vintages, the sidewall did change a bit. The earlier skis had basalt sidewalls, the middle skis had more of a plastic/p-tex sidewall and the newest skis have a material that is somewhere in the middle. Supposedly in 2022 Blossom softened the tip of the WO/AM77 slightly but I think most skiers would be hard-pressed to pick up on the difference. Where I notice it the most is on very grippy snow, the 2022 ski's tip is smoother in the mid-to-lower C (we are talking high edge angle race turns where the ski is bent into a very tight arc). The older skis tended to get hooky/bouncy at that point in the turn on some surfaces so there was some validity to de-tuning the tip of the ski a bit... with the newer ski you don't have that problem. If you're not putting your hip on snow though, I think that there is little chance you'd notice a difference.

FWIW, I still ski my 2012 model in early and late season poor conditions. A season or two ago I had the chance to ski it back to back with a brand new Stockli AX... The Blossom with close to 100 days on them smoked the new AX. Not even worth including the AX in the conversation unless you don't have access to Blossom.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Return to Gear