Elan Voyager

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Elan Voyager

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:11 am

Check this new product out....interesting concept..if nothing else, it is quite an amusing video..

User avatar
go_large_or_go_home
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:49 am

I think the only question is whether this is a solution in search of a problem. I guess if it skis as well or better than traditional skis it certainly save some hassle carrying skis at the airport etc. But it isn't really that hard to lug skis from the car to the airport check in area. Perhaps for overseas flights, this will save some money because its no longer an oversized piece of luggage?

Lastly, if it's a similar design to the Elan Ripstick, very few are going to want to ski these. Those skis are duds with no there, there. Hopefully these are better.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
User avatar
jbotti
 
Posts: 1930
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:05 am

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:21 am

I want nothing more than to hand a pair of these back to a know-it-all ski rep in two (or multiple) pieces. :lol:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
User avatar
HeluvaSkier
 
Posts: 1479
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Western New York

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby HighAngles » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:13 pm

Anyone else notice that the flex pattern looks quite "unique". ;) Soft tips and tails and very stiff under the bindings. The shape of the ski when flexed does not bend into a nice arc. Looks more like a wide "U".
User avatar
HighAngles
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 am

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby ErikCO » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:32 pm

HighAngles wrote:Anyone else notice that the flex pattern looks quite "unique". ;) Soft tips and tails and very stiff under the bindings. The shape of the ski when flexed does not bend into a nice arc. Looks more like a wide "U".


Yeah, I was kind of noticing that too. Would have to get some feedback from skiers I trust before I'd want to shell out the money for one. Also a long-term review of how the binding attachment system holds up. It's certainly an interesting idea though.
User avatar
ErikCO
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:26 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:26 am

Indeed - I thought he was in danger of losing his danglies at one point...I am wondering if most skis are pretty flat/ flex-less under the bindings - especially when you clip your boot in place.

Most airlines now charge extra for ski carriage and most of us won’t trust the airlines to carry our boots in the hold..as easy as it is to have your skis carried in the hold - it still doesn’t remove the ‘will they/won’t they arrive/ be damaged’ feeling at the other end..I work in the airline industry, and I don’t trust them..

Anyway - amusing video, he seems like a fun character..
User avatar
go_large_or_go_home
 
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:52 am
Location: UK

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby Marc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 am

the ‘will they/won’t they arrive/ be damaged’ feeling


I bought a couple of Tile bluetooth trackers last year to hopefully be able to alleviate that feeling. They should tell me if my luggage got loaded on the aircraft or not and later where (if) they are at the transit/destination airport. I haven't tried them yet due to the pandemic.
Marc
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby Robert0325 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 am

Marc wrote:
the ‘will they/won’t they arrive/ be damaged’ feeling


I bought a couple of Tile bluetooth trackers last year to hopefully be able to alleviate that feeling. They should tell me if my luggage got loaded on the aircraft or not and later where (if) they are at the transit/destination airport. I haven't tried them yet due to the pandemic.


That's a great idea about the trackers. Never realised that such thing existed. I have put my boots in the hold before but get extremely anxious. Not the sort of thing you can replace easily and hiring would even come close. I worry less about skis. Good skis can be hired at short notice and good quality in most cases.

Regarding the folding skis I wonder how well the edges line up after a few weeks of use? Any movement/looseness in the mechanism will create a very ragid edge.
Robert0325
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby HighAngles » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:08 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Indeed - I thought he was in danger of losing his danglies at one point...I am wondering if most skis are pretty flat/ flex-less under the bindings - especially when you clip your boot in place.

Most airlines now charge extra for ski carriage and most of us won’t trust the airlines to carry our boots in the hold..as easy as it is to have your skis carried in the hold - it still doesn’t remove the ‘will they/won’t they arrive/ be damaged’ feeling at the other end..I work in the airline industry, and I don’t trust them..

Anyway - amusing video, he seems like a fun character..


Elimination of the flat spot under the boot is the whole point of the Freeflex bindings and how most race plates are designed. They allow the ski to flex without being hindered by the boot in the binding.
User avatar
HighAngles
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 am

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby noobSkier » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:30 pm

even though it's probably a dud, It's cool to see the innovation from elan. Could see this product being attractive to the European skiers taking frequent short flights to the major ski areas.
User avatar
noobSkier
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: Elan Voyager

Postby Marc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:23 am

More innovation from Elan: more flexible skis and boots for kids so they can tip, bend and balance

Marc
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:29 pm


Return to Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests