Head eOriginal Supershape

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Head eOriginal Supershape

Postby jbotti » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:34 am

Good news for lovers of the original SS or those that have coveted a pair. HSS will be importing a new ski from Head which is not available in the US. Its called the Head eOriginal Super Shape, Harald says its very similar the old SS and it will be his everyday ski next season. Considering how bad the US product is for quality recreational slalom carvers, this will be a Godsend next season.

Here are HH's comments from the blog:

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Head eOriginal Supershape

Postby Erik » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm

According to the Head Hard Goods Catalog for 2020/2021:
Product Features: EMC, ERA 3.0 S, Graphene Worldcup Sandwich Cap Construction, RD Race Structured UHM C Base, Speed Rocker
Lengths: 156/163/170
Sidecut: 129/66/107 @ Length 170
Radius: 12.1m @ Length 170
Plate: SuperflexBinding: PRD12
Binding: 100832 PRD 12 GW Brake 85 [F]

EMC is the "Energy Management Circuit".
Too bad about the limited selection of lengths for those who need something longer.

Classic Supershape was 121/66/107 sidecut, 12.1m radius in the 170cm length.
Erik

Postby B.Mulligan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:38 am

Well this guy certainly seems to like skiing on the new e-supershape original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UKXWeA-UA
B.Mulligan

Postby jbotti » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:16 am

Fun Vid and it looks like a fun ski. I look forward to trying a pair next season.
jbotti

Postby arothafel » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:35 pm

WOW.... exactly the ski I would like to be on. Is this still on considering the pandemic, etc. Is HHS going to still have them in stock for the upcoming year..??
arothafel

Postby jbotti » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:09 am

While I haven’t checked with Harald on this recently, orders for next years skis go to manufacturers in April. I doubt that HSS cancelled their order, although I guess it’s possible.
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:48 pm

If you watch the video, yes, this is the ski we will carry. It will be gone fast because Harb Sk Systems is the only importer to the USA. Head USA is not offering it in the US shops, we are special ordering it from Head Ski Company from Austria. I have a video on Youtube testing it on the last day of this season the day before Corona shut down skiing. Rickie Berger is overturning it because it's so easy and fun.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:10 pm

Here is another video with some Japanese skiers on these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl8UaWh7SWY
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:34 pm

We really liked that ski, so much fun, lively and easy at the same time. We tested everything at the on snow and this was our top pick. Even compared it to Stockli which is $500 bucks more. And not as good.
h.harb

Postby DirectParallel » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:06 am

My next ski will likely be one of the new Head Super Shape series. It will be my only ski for at least upcoming season.
How does the e-Original compare to the e-Speed?

I read some Japanese reviews and some liked the e-Speed more since it was a little bit stiffer which made them feel more comfortable at higher speeds.

Was able to find this picture on the web (can't find the new series on the official Head site yet):

DirectParallel

Postby jbotti » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 pm

I think the only people on this forum that have skied both the SS Speed (which is now called the SS e speed) and the SS e-Original are HH and Diana. All I can say is that if Harald is going to use the e-original as his everyday ski next year, I guarantee it's not super soft because he can overpower a lot of skis. One obvious difference between the two skis is that the e-original has a very tight TR (12.1m) vs the SS Speed (at 14m both in a 170). Most people developing PMTS skills and movements do better with a tighter TR. As for stiffness most recreational PMTS skiers that are developing skills are rarely bumping up against the stiffness constraints on skis like the e-original (again HH would not be skiing it if he was overpowering it in high angle arcs).
jbotti

Postby DirectParallel » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:13 pm

jbotti wrote:I think the only people on this forum that have skied both the SS Speed (which is now called the SS e speed) and the SS e-Original are HH and Diana. All I can say is that if Harald is going to use the e-original as his everyday ski next year, I guarantee it's not super soft because he can overpower a lot of skis. One obvious difference between the two skis is that the e-original has a very tight TR (12.1m) vs the SS Speed (at 14m both in a 170). Most people developing PMTS skills and movements do better with a tighter TR. As for stiffness most recreational PMTS skiers that are developing skills are rarely bumping up against the stiffness constraints on skis like the e-original (again HH would not be skiing it if he was overpowering it in high angle arcs).

Thank you for the reply. I think I will go with the e-Original then. I'm still a beginner and 'overpowering' a ski will likely take me a while .
Currently I ski a low-end model (actually a rental edition) by Fischer (it's called the XTR Race). It has a 15m radius, a very versatile radius.

Expect switching to the e-Original will be quite an experience due to the high-end quality and tighter radius. I will reply to this topic once I tried it out.
DirectParallel

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 pm

This is not a soft ski, it's very strong and has more material than the current Super Shape Speed. Head makes a quality product if you know how to pick it. This ski will last well beyond the disappearing edge you will tune off after years of enjoyment. You don't have to bend it to get its Qualities working for you. It will relax its flex after 15 to 20 days on snow and then it will be perfect. Don't need a 177cm for groomers either it's totally stable. If you miss out it may not come around again. We at the shop are order our own and keeping them.
h.harb

Postby Chy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 pm

How does this new ski compare to the super shape ispeed that has been recommended a lot in recent years? Is the new e original less of an advanced ski?
Chy

Postby h.harb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:16 pm

It makes a better, easier arc, and it holds better on hard snow. To me, it's more playful. I skied it for years in the original. The fancy graph doesn't represent the ski, it's a fun of piste ski and is great in powder.
h.harb

Next

Return to Gear