Science is confirming what we’ve known for years

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Science is confirming what we’ve known for years

Postby tigernbr » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:24 am

Wide skis are bad for your knees and your skiing. Jackson Hogen’s latest article:

https://realskiers.com/revelations/why- ... our-knees/
tigernbr

Re: Science is confirming what we’ve known for years

Postby blackthorn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes, I got this in my email yesterday. JH's writing style annoys me somewhat at times, but I thought this a was good one. It added to what most PMTS skiers will have recognised for years together with more specific detail on effects of rotation at the knee joint. I thought it was a very useful addition and deserves to be read by those interested in these things.
Good skiing in NZ currently.
blackthorn

Postby Darren » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm

If the ski tip & or tail is wider then your tibia head is that hard on your knees ? Or is it just waist width wider then the tibia harder on the knees ?
Darren

Postby ErikCO » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:46 pm

Primarily the waist. I'm sure the tip/tail have some effect but it is what is underfoot that is the most important for your knees. I know that, anecdotally, I can ski up to ~80mm under foot without noticing any significant knee strain. At 85mm, my knees are noticeable more sore at the end of a day of skiing. At 90mm, the snow had better be really soft or else I will be hating myself after an hour or two. (And that is without even talking about what it feels like to do good tipping movements on skis that wide!) I can't imagine what it would be like to try skiing 100mm or 110mm on resort snow!
ErikCO

Return to Gear