what SS iSpeed length for me?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: what SS iSpeed length for me?

Postby LiquidFeet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 am

Max, it's out in the car. Why are you so interested in the FXs?

I've been on them, and an earlier softer version, for about 4 years. The soft ones were too soft. These are stiffer (longitudinally) than the earlier versions were, and on halfway decent snow act very nice. On bumps they are good. On ice, well. Not so good, but I can get them up on edge and make clean turns. I'd rather not have to wait; 84 is slow to get up on edge (with me on them, that is).

I'm interested in moving back to a frontside carver, and the experience I am having on the race skis is telling me I really want a narrower waisted ski that can act more like the Redsters do, but will not give me headaches in the bumps. That's all. I figured this board would have the knowledge I'm looking for. You guys rock at carving, and you've got very precise knowledge about the skis you view as perfect for PMTS turns. I value that knowledge.
LiquidFeet

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 am

LiquidFeet wrote:Max, it's out in the car. Why are you so interested in the FXs?

The length of your current skis, and how you perform on those skis, provides information that can be useful for selecting the size of your next pair.
Max_501

Postby LiquidFeet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

I don't have video to post. So you'll have to take my word for how I ski, and I doubt you'll feel comfortable doing that.
You're welcome to guess how I ski, if you like. I took a camp a few years ago, Super Blue, and was in Harald's group but I doubt he remembers me.

You were right, the FXs are 168s. Before that, I was on Salomon Tornados, the red ones, and they were definitely 170s. That was a while back.

For short turns I have the FIS Atomic Redsters, slaloms, at 155. Love them, but can't see using them daily here in the east.

And a pair of MX70s at 152. They feel very, very short; I prefer the Redsters.

Those Redsters are setting my priorities right now. Skiing on them the other day on ice was a revelation.
LiquidFeet

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm

163cm as has been suggested... Side cut and stiffness combo compared with the 84 will feel like a much more substantial ski underfoot, and the added length will give more stability with a slightly more use-all-day radius compared with the 155 SL.

Guys like Max_501 are skiing the 170 in this ski and... don't be offended when I say this... he is a vastly more proficient skier than you are.

FWIW, my wife is 5'7" 145 lbs and I would put her on a 163 in this ski as well. Right now her favorite ski is a 168 Super Joy.
HeluvaSkier

Postby LiquidFeet » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:58 am

That's exactly what I was looking for.
Of course Max is better and more aggressive than me.
Thanks. Done!
LiquidFeet

Previous

Return to Gear