Base Structure

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Base Structure

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:17 pm

Do new skis come from the factory with structure?

are the bases reliably flat?
MonsterMan

Postby Thomas » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 pm

yes, no
If your not having fun while skiing, your not doing it right.
Thomas

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 pm

that's what I thought,

it intrigues me that a ski shop told me otherwise re the structure and that it needed to be run through a machine.

When I asked if they could leave the base bevel angle flat they said no, must have a base bevel or the edges would damage the machine.

What am I missing? Is there more than one typr of machine?

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby Thomas » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:58 pm

Are they race skis? I think some race skis DO come sans structure...
If your not having fun while skiing, your not doing it right.
Thomas

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:13 am

Most shops will not grind your skis without some kind of base bevel - even if it is minimal. When the edges hit the stone it really messes them up. If you have ever had to buy one of these stones you will know why they are so paranoid at the possibility of ruining them (they aren't cheap). Also - if you are getting a cross structure, more than one section of the stone will be ruined due to how it is oscillating. On the WC they can probably afford to prep skis with a 0 degree (flat) base bevel, but in the real world most are reluctant to put their stones in jeopardy.

I think some machines can go down to a .25 base bevel - which is pretty minimal. I would be surprised if most skiers could tell the difference between a 0 and a .25 bevel.

Race skis that come compeltely unprepped will be beveled (base) before they are put on the stone. Once the structure is set they are re-beveled and the rest of the edges are set - then you're ready to start waxing for a few hours/days/weeks. Most skis that I see these days come with a very good structure intact - especially skis coming from the race room. This is not to say that all are perfect, but they are much more reliable in recent years.

Later

Greg
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks a lot Greg,

that clears things up perfectly, it just goes to show that what you read on the web is not always entirely accurate. Most tuning articles recommend getting bases ground flat before you start on the base bevel, but what you say makes sense to save the stone and is just as good if your final base bevel is say greater than 0.25.

Any tips on how to feather the overall bevel angle at the first couple of inches at the tips rather than detune?

Thanks

Geoff
MonsterMan

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:04 pm

MonsterMan wrote:Any tips on how to feather the overall bevel angle at the first couple of inches at the tips rather than detune?

Geoff,

I think that would have to be done by hand, so you would need several different base bevel guides or a multi-tool dedicated to the base edge. I have done it to skis before, but it does take some time, and certainly should not be done in excess to the point where the ski becomes base high. Once it is set, you will only have to touch it up once in awhile. Often I will write the tune right on the ski in these kinds of cases, and note on the ski where the bevels change.

Later

GREG
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Return to Gear