New year... same issue... EXTENSION!

New year... same issue... EXTENSION!

Postby arothafel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:04 am

After a few years hiatus, I'm back at it!

There's an obvious extension going that I've been working on for years and still not conquered. When I release I'm trying to get forward to feel the front of my boot. I "think" I am pulling my feet back... but, the video reveals that's NOT what's happening.

arothafel

Re: New year... same issue... EXTENSION!

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:22 pm

I bet it feels great to be back on the snow. Next time you are out try to get a clip of the SP/touch/tilt drill.

As in a regular super phantom, transfer balance to LTE of the uphill ski. Then, touch the inside edge of the lifted, dowhnill ski to the inside ankle rivet of the stance boot ("inside foot arch touches outside foot ankle"). Keep it touching while tipping the free foot further toward its LTE. Don't let that free foot touch the snow until the very end of the turn. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! At the end of the turn, when the free foot touches the snow on its LTE, immediately pick up the new free foot, and touch-tilt the new stance boot.
Max_501

Postby arothafel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Hey Max_501... thanks for the advice (as usual!)

And, yes, it feels fantastic to be back on the snow. I have 16 days on snow... so that's a lot for me.

I know the drill but did NOT know about the end of the turn landing on the LTE, nor the immediate pick-up of the new free foot. I will definitely get some video next time up. Thank you for that!

I wonder if you (or anyone else) can address the weird hip thrust I'm performing in trying to get forward (from about :13 sec to end). I don't do this on fast locked carve turns because I have momentum. But, slow like in this video or when attempting bullet-proof short turns on anything steep... it becomes a default move to get myself forward. I'm pretty good at isolating various body parts so I wonder if there is a drill to remedy this... or if it's just a matter of using my hamstrings much more forcefully to pull back my feet. Thoughts..?
arothafel

Postby ToddW » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:11 pm

Art,

Welcome back to snow! I have fond memories of early PMTS camps with you.

I hesitate to comment on your remaining question, because Max put his finger on exactly what you should do next (no surprise there.) Since you’re in the fitness industry, the foot pullback should be dominantly the same movement pattern you use in well-executed hamstring curls. That forward and upward motion of the pelvis probably indicates you’re doing too much of the work with your glutes. One of the checks of this is to have a friend place a ski pole behind your knees parallel to the ground and then try to pull your foot back from a stationary position on snow. If you knock the pole back, then you’re overusing your glutes.

In locked arcs you can get by with funny business in your pullback. I know this because I am an expert at every way of cheating on skis :shock: (I just gave Harald a masters class this week in cheating on skis :mrgreen: ) I posted a long lesson report in 2010 about three days of privates with Diana. This is one of the issues covered there. In short, I had to learn pullback again without the crutch of a locked edge by alternately getting ultra-ultra-forward and then centered on a flat non-carving traverse and then working it into highly brushed long and medium radius turns alternating between centered and ultraforward three times per turn. Any funny business in your pullback will twist or push a flatter ski in a visible way.

But lift-touch-tilt first. I’m sure you’ve forgotten it, but you advised me to do that early season many years ago. At your advice based on your black snow carving, I didn’t let two skis touch the snow for my first three weeks on snow that year and it was a huge help.

Again, welcome back!

-Todd
ToddW

Postby arothafel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Todd...

... I have great HHS Camp memories of you, too. In fact, before we even spoke for the first time, I remember observing you from a chairlift as you "sliced" your way down the mountain and wondered... "Who the hell is THAT guy.... and can I learn to carve like that!" I need to get back into a camp --- so I hope we meet up and ski together again.

Both Max_501 and you have provided some golden "nuggets." I think you're right. I have weak hamstrings and strong glutes so the dominant muscle group has probably taken over. I'll try your experiment -- although I can probably already predict the results. Do I need to be on skis for this? Or is their another way to prove it... like skates or my Carvers?

Thanks again for responding and I hope to have more video specific to this issue in a few weeks.

Art

P.S. ---> I look forward to your upcoming best-seller: "How to Cheat on Skis."
arothafel

Postby ToddW » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:40 pm

I’d be afraid of “going over the handlebars” on skates or carvers. Best leave it to snow.
ToddW

Return to Movement Analysis and Video