MA request for Indoorski

Re: MA request for Indoorski

Postby jbotti » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:15 am

Raising the heel externally can help fore aft balance but once you are going much beyond 1 credit card you are taking some real risk with the din setting and release. I ski with a 4mm external heel lift, but I have the heel routed so its din compliant. If you can see that the heel raise helps, go get it done properly (din compliant) otherwise you are asking for an issue.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 am

noobSkier wrote:Being perma-flexed makes it easier to pivot your skis around

I'll clarify this, for this particular skier, perma-flexed also means aft. If the weight is aft, then the tail will slide downhill faster than the tip (mostly through the bottom half of the arc). For sure the first thing to do is try to get out of that deeply flexed position to even get the chance to work on your tipping...then there is alignment which might be truly the first step towards progress (video of super phantoms would gives some insight there)

Indoorski, get video as often as possible if you are serious about improving. You can even mount a GoPro somewhere and activate video with a remote...I did this for almost a full season and it only got stolen once :lol:
noobSkier

Postby Indoorski » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:42 am

The credit cards will only be a temporary measure and maybe not at all if my boot fitting goes well this coming Saturday. I'm hoping that as I get more forward the reduced pressure on the backs of my skis will aid my tipping. I don't seem to have any issued on the slant board or when I'm stationary on the snow although I appreciate that all bets are off when snow and moving are thrown into the mix. Anyhow, many thanks Max_501 and Noobski for the SMIM advice. Aft/forward balance and tipping is me for the next 3 months.
Indoorski

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:09 pm

Where are you getting your boots fitted? If you are UK based, there is only 1 person that comes close to fitting boots properly...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Indoorski » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:52 am

Profeet in Fulham (London).
Indoorski

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:52 am

PM'd
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Robert0325 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:28 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Where are you getting your boots fitted? If you are UK based, there is only 1 person that comes close to fitting boots properly...

Would you mind sharing who you recommend?
Robert0325

Postby h.harb » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:01 pm

I didn't read any feedback so I'm going straight off the video. First, the skiing is static, which means balance and a balanced stance on one foot or the other is rarely established. Range of motion is limited in a long and short leg relationship. This is the case if you ski with two-footed weighting. With two-footed weighting, you can not achieve the long leg because CA isn't initiated and the hips stay over the back of the skis.

For a quick fix and a simple approach, ski on one ski at a time and create pull back with the free foot. One footed skiing means a lifted inside ski at transition. When you can achieve the lift at the right time in transit, pull that foot back, bring it back under your hips. These two movements and the focus involved to incorporate them, are needed to add CA and CB movements, afterward. I have just completed a new video for instruction covering the movements that will help. It's the "poles on the Knees" progression. And we have several other videos on our web site that demonstrate the timing of the lifting foot at transition. It will be online any day at our web store.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video