MA for Cerulean

Re: MA for Cerulean

Postby Cerulean » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Max_501 wrote:IMO, you've jumped too far ahead. It is very important to have a good handle on each of the exercises in book 1 before moving to the next. It also looks like your posture is making it challenging to stay in balance so you'll need to work on that too.

Max, in your opinion, which exercise should I go back to? I'm happy to go back but clearly I can't tell when I have mastered a particular exercise, even watching my own video.
Cerulean

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:16 pm

Cerulean wrote:- Have no poles until I return from the holidays, used a wobbly post thingy where it was written that poles were allowed to help balance.

Why are you skiing without poles?
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Cerulean wrote:- Have no poles until I return from the holidays, used a wobbly post thingy where it was written that poles were allowed to help balance.

Why are you skiing without poles?

Max, I find this to be a very interesting question. Are you saying one should skI WITH poles for proper analysis...??

There are many drills in the PMTS books with “no pole” drills... angry mother, boot touch, Scholpy (sp?) drill, Helava’s penguin drill (no way can I do)...just to name a few.

I do as many as I can (until my quads just die...grin), as I find them to help me refocus on my foot tipping and counter balance.

Just curious...would like to know the rationale behind the question. Thanks.
Vailsteve

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Vailsteve wrote:There are many drills in the PMTS books with “no pole” drills... angry mother, boot touch...

Maybe I missed it but I don't see any footage of the PMTS pole-less drills above.
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:14 pm

Ok. Maybe I am mis-remembering from the books.

Thought for sure I saw Harald doing pole-less drill in his CD’s...particularly remember a run with Harald bending and tipping his boots with his hands literally on the top of his boots and the knees rolling inside and outside of his arms. I’ve done this multiple times.

HH’s youtube video of rolling his knees under crossed poles to get better in off-piste, yes does have poles, but here the poles are held horizontally on the flexed knees...not the typical ski pole position. I particularly like this drill. It really helps me train for off piste runs.

The Diana angry mother video shows her with her hands on hips. No poles initially, then she does transition to using poles.

And I know we did boot touch, no pole drills in camp.

No big deal....just was curious.
Vailsteve

Postby razie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:47 pm

That drill is meant to be executed with lots of CA and with a pole plant. It won't have the same result, otherwise... but you got neither :oops: - watch Diana's demo carefully, looking at those two elements.
razie

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:51 am

cerulean,

As others have stated, the TFR is one of the hardest exercises in PMTS when executed to perfection. It's one of those exercises that you keep going back to, so don't try to master it before moving on to a super-phantom (you won't). A realistic goal at this point would be to release and engage with tipping only and show some signs of upper-body CA.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:04 am

Vailsteve wrote:Maybe I am mis-remembering from the books.

I'm not talking about the books or PMTS video material. I'm commenting on the video posted by Cerulean. Unless I'm misunderstanding what he is posting I don't see any of the pole-less PMTS drills. Instead I see drills where we typically use poles.

BTW, just because we have some drills where poles aren't used doesn't mean all drills should be performed without poles.
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:14 pm

Ahhh. Understand. My mistake...you were referring to Cerluean’s MA videos.

An totally agree. Some drills need poles.
Vailsteve

Postby Cerulean » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Max_501 wrote:Why are you skiing without poles?

It was either that or not ski at all- did not have my usual setup on those days.

Thanks for the responses. I gathered that the full release drill should be performed with poles and CA. I got one ski day yesterday where I did just that.

Unfortunately it's going to be a lot harder to get video now that I am back home. Over Christmas I lived 15 minutes from a bunny slope serviced by a rope tow. Now the closest resort is 3 hours, and I'm hesitant to leave my cell phone recording on the side of a full, crowded slope where the time to get back to it after skiing past would be probably 10 minutes.

Anyways, the current consensus seems to be that I should continue to work on full releases from a standstill, using poles and CA, focusing on releasing using tipping only. As to that I have only one question- I've had an easier time getting the skis to seek the fall line when I make sure to pull back the inside foot while I'm lightening and tipping. If I don't pull back the inside foot, sometimes I will sideslip instead. Is it correct to actively pull the inside foot back at the same time as the tipping occurs? Or is this considered "rotation" or cheating in terms of beginning the release?

I'll continue to ski once a week and do my best to improve with limited video....
Cerulean

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video