MA request for lsem

Re: MA request for lsem

Postby HighAngles » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:09 pm

Slightly outside of the topic, but related... How heavy is your backpack?
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:02 pm

lsem wrote:One more question I would like to ask is regarding transfer to LTE. However hard I tried I cannot get more or less clear O-frame (not half-O) during transition and each time I transfer weight to new stance ski it feels like it almost flattens.

It's probably flattening faster than you want because of the small extension of the inside leg.
Max_501

Postby lsem » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:14 am

@HighAngles I think around 3kg: backpack itself, bottle of water, fleece, camera, ski boot walking aids and little things like sunscreen, wax, etc..
lsem

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 am

lsem wrote:@HighAngles I think around 3kg: backpack itself, bottle of water, fleece, camera, ski boot walking aids and little things like sunscreen, wax, etc..

Ditch the backpack. These things mess up people's skiing so much. I've actually refused to coach skiers until they removed their backpack and left it inside.

Water Bottle: switch to a camel back style pouch (no backpack) or just drink water on breaks in lodges
Fleece: Probably unnecessary... consider proper shells and breathable base layers
Camera: Pocket
Cat Tracks: leave on a ski rack at the bottom
Sunscreen: apply in the morning, leave in the car... or pocket
Wax: hot wax at home... F4-style paste only stays on the base for about three turns anyway
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby lsem » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:41 am

@HeluvaSkier thanks for caution about backpack, I'm not a big fan of it and in fact more like skiing without it.
Without camera and with my current jacket I guess I could put everything in the pockets, but my camera is a bit too big and heavy even for bigger pockets. Cat tracks needed for traveling from and to parking lot. Totally agree about wax, I have this emergency wet wax but actually have never used it yet so I don't need it. Having water is just more convenient especially for Spring skiing.
lsem

Postby jbotti » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:32 am

I am never without my cat tracks but they fit comfortably in any jacket side pocket. Agree with Heluva, lose the backpack.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby dewdman42 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:36 am

I can't even tolerate skiing with my cat tracks in my pockets, I use a ski cable lock to lock my cat tracks to a ski rack at the base of the hill.
dewdman42

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:14 pm

dewdman42 wrote:I can't even tolerate skiing with my cat tracks in my pockets, I use a ski cable lock to lock my cat tracks to a ski rack at the base of the hill.

I guess if the cat tracks are out, then a camera will never make the cut! :lol: :mrgreen:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Those are good except when you need to walk on hard surfaces mid mountain or upper mountain (obviously depends on each mountain). If one lives close to HSS and it’s easy to replace worn down canting plates no big deal but I like my alignment to be nailed all the time even f I can replace the plates myself. And minimal wear and tear on the soles does change the alignment.
jbotti

Postby dewdman42 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 pm

I hear ya! I still can't stand having bulky crap in my pockets, even cat tracks.
dewdman42

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 am

Going back to the original post about MA. Max responded to the question "why the de-emphasis on locked carving?" Perfectly! I'll add some comments.

To be honest I don't understand why attempt to do edge locked carving turns seems like to be discouraged here,

We don't discourage locked Carving, as you can see we all love to ski that way. However, it can be done correctly or incorrectly. The incorrect methods limits progress and it also limits skill development for off-piste skiing. It can actually be dangerous. PMTS develops skiers completely and efficiently so that they can ski everywhere with the same basic techniques. I have seen so many skiers with obvious talent go the wrong way because they go right to locked carving with attempts at high angles without having the fundamentals of turn development.

The skiing in this video misses many of the fundamental principles of PMTS carving. Sure to the "untrained eye", this looks like expert skiing and good carving. Let me point out a few things that are happening.

If you look at the high C part of the turn development, (below) you will notice that there is a strong move to drive the outside knee to produce an edge angle. The first thing that becomes obvious is that your boot is cuff strong. This is obvious to us because we have done alignment work on over 20 thousand skiers we ski with. When you see the foot separation demonstrated here, it's an immediate flag. Next, there is no balance developed, as many have pointed out there is too much weight on the inside ski. The reason is you can't hold your balance on the outside ski, you lost your balance. When this happens inside ski tipping stops. Therefore you can not develop angles with the whole body, only with the outside knee drive. This is weak and dangerous.
Image Image
Note the difference between the results from two different movement approaches, one is pure PMTS the other is PSIA driven!

If you want to evolve and develop correctly you have to learn a Super Phantom transition, using a brushed craving turn. A brushed carving turn is a higher level turn than you are making now. It will also evolve your skiing to the point where you will make a perfect locked carving turn.

In this short clip notice the tipping of the inside ski, and the hip drops with and by following the inside leg flexing and tipping movements or that tipping action. The reverse is driving the outside knee and keeping the inside ski flat, with no angles resulting. Where would you like to go? The methods I show here and have developed in my books will work perfectly on all conditions, no limitations.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:02 pm

There is a great lesson here for everyone. Take it from someone that spent way too much time (years) working on my edge lock or race carving. It's so much fun and very addicting and it will impress all your friends. But.... it will stunt your development as a skier. One can get away with digital movements/ on off movements and because of this while working on this one is not required to develop the analog specificity of movement required in the BPSRT (brushed). As well, the two most difficult essentials to have be in place in steep, difficult off piste skiing are CA and CB. On groomed terrain it is much easier to get and maintain both because on piste we always have something to push against. It takes most skiers years to develop both the muscles and the awareness and the ability to get, maintain and hold CA and CB through the release in difficult off piste terrain. The edge locked carve is pretty much worthless in that terrain. Even worse if your default move is to look for the BTE angles and immediately tip the stance ski to a high edge angle you will do the same off piste. What this means is that every turn in steep off piste terrain you will be stepping on the gas pedal (speeding you up) instead of getting brushed high C engagement that actually slows one down. Trust me, I struggled with this for years and this is no way to attack difficult off piste terrain.

The other thing that one is unlikely to develop just working on edge lock carved arcs on groomed terrain is the feeling of pressure coming to you versus having the need to create it in a fast edge lock carved turn. In slow brushed carved arcs done correctly the skier needs to wait for the pressure to build through the apex of the turn.

Lastly, the best exercise I know for developing what I believe to be the hardest skill to attain in hard snow edge lock carving (increasing tippping which produces progressively higher edge angles past the apex) is turning brushed arcs into carved arcs after the apex. And one gets instant feedback. Either you have tipped enough past the apex or you will still be brushing. This exercise makes ones edge lock carving instantly better because almost everyone does not get enough tipping in their skiing past the apex (not talking about HH, Diana, Heluva and some others on this but just about everyone else). If you want speed control on steep on-piste terrain in edge locked carved arcs you will never get there without this skill/ability.

I just came back from 2 days of working with Harald on my BPSRT. Was thrilled that we never had to move backwards and work on some Essential that just wouldn't hold up. We pretty much spent the full two days doing reasonably slow, medium energy BPSRT's. The results for me were amazing. I have put years of work into this but I now feel a sense of control I have not felt before and it held up on some very steep terrain. And as has been said before when working for perfection on the BPSRT (or as close as I can come) one needs to take out momentum. It either holds up at slow speeds or you probably aren't doing it correctly.
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:15 pm

A lesson well described by John. We did many sessions together over the years and it is a testament to John's dedication that we didn't have to get back and pick up someplace where there were holes in the Essentials. John had it under his belt so that we could move forward. He can now make tight, short arcs on steeps with great speed control.
h.harb

Postby lsem » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:29 am

Thank you for follow up. Thanks all for comments. I really wanted to get feedback about my edge locked turns. At first I wanted to write something about why first few turns with A-frame, about instinct to bite into the slippery surface with BTE, but you are right, these turns driven by BTE engagement. If you say I have no enough abilities yet for this type of turns I have no other arguments than the videos so I agree with you, you are experts.

One more takeaway from recent work on drills with recording on camera is that it is harder to keep CA and tip lifted ski than during edge locked turn so it must be good for developing this movements.

P.S.: I find "Riders of Lost Arc" to be the most beautiful skiing on the Internet I have ever seen. I've been watching it again and again since it was posted. If not mistaken, HSS last year's motto was something about high edge angles, which motivated me to buy Essentials of Skiing from which I wanted to learn how to do it.
lsem

Postby lsem » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:07 am

It's probably flattening faster than you want because of the small extension of the inside leg.

Max, seems like you are right. I've been working on SP without extension and the problem is gone, I have no video but I feel it and checked by looking down at my legs and can confirm the problem has gone.

I also have some observations.

1) I noticed that without this little push I also lost some rebound so this skiing feels more fluid but also feels less dynamic, if I try to make it more dynamic, extensions returns back.

2) Now when I start a turn by transferring weight to old uphill ski all the work is done by my glutes (more) and quads (less) since old inside leg is still flexed when I transfer weight to it. And these muscles turned out to be weak as after 8 hours of such skiing they became really sore. I think it makes sense, being tall and rather skinny, without adequate workout on glutes it looks reasonable for me as I have never skied in a way that requires engagement of these muscles.

3) Tip lift to initiate a turn. This part is a bit tricky for me. I found that when I try to do it consciously, it disrupts my balance and fluidity of the drill. But when I try variation of SP when I release the ski earlier than across the fall line, more like 45 degree, it happens naturally due to ankle dorsiflexion that is held at the and of the turn (when I end turn across fall line, dorsiflexion is almost lost or not enough). Reflecting about nature of this unintended dorsiflexion, I think it appeared when I stopped lifting heel high so to keep inside ski a bit lifted with tail low I dorsiflex the ankle. So at the moment of transferring weight tip gets lifted due to tension of muscles that create dorsiflexion (I started realizing this tension once I noticed this). I tried doing this consciously but gave up since this is one more element that needs to be kept on mind and it displaces other important things.

3) CA/CB in pelvis. After some time I started engaging my pelvis into CA. What I quickly realized that it feels different than dryland exercises. It is feels like I move outer part of the pelvis outer and back so inner part goes inner and forward. As a result my inside foot goes forward which I don't like but continue doing it since this is the only what I can do with my pelvis for now. I also cannot create pelvis CB during slow SP on low pitch slope, only on steeper slope but than I cannot do CB and CA and tipping simultaneously.

Not sure if I do everything correctly, but just after one day working on SP transition, the idea to start new turn holding LTE is not more such weird. It feels more and more naturally.

Thank you, I should have been more attentive to details in the books and posted MA video earlier, just lost time.
lsem

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video