Newbie help with edges.

Newbie help with edges.

Postby Skyblues » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:12 pm

Hello, I've always had a problem with edging and spent years stuck in skidded turns. I recently decided to try PMTS and brought essentials 1 & 2 books. I'm on a ski holiday and have been trying to master the phantom move. I'm not sure if I have an alignment issue but I have had this checked and have custom foot beds but I feel very frustrated as I don't seem to be able to edge. When I traverse and lift the free foot and try to tip it to the little toe edge the skis turn but it's a skidded turn as the smeared snow shows. I never feel as if the outside ski ever gets onto it's edge in any part of the turn. To my untrained eye it seems as though the outside ski is flattening because I have all of my weight on it. If I put both of my skis on their edges and then traverse it seems like they are carving. I just don't seem to be able to tip the skis on their edge whilst moving.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated as I feel like a hopeless case who will be stuck with my own style of skiing forever.
Skyblues

Re: Newbie help with edges.

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Yes, sure sounds like an alignment issue, send video!
h.harb

Postby Skyblues » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Thank you for the reply Mr Harb.

I'll try and post one tomorrow when I'm back on the slopes.
Skyblues

Postby Skyblues » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:20 pm

The skiing is particularly bad on this one. It was -29 c and I struggled to find someone to come out and video this. It was also the first run off the day. I can see an A frame in my skiing and I'm not used to seeing a wedge turn usually. Whether this was because I'm learning a different technique or my struggling to ski on one leg I'm not sure. Hopefully this may give some indication on the cause of my troubles.

Thanks again for any help/ advice as you can see I need it.
Skyblues

Postby Skyblues » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:12 am

The skiing was that bad no one has repiled. :lol:

Interestingly for me I use a device and app called Carv which monitors your skiing. It shows my max edge angle as only 20%. It also tells me to engage my edges earlier to create better angles. The unfortunate thing is I don't have the skill set or know how to achieve this. Bad technique or alignment issues or both?
Skyblues

Postby Marc » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:44 pm

I think you will get more replies now that your thread has been moved to the MA section!

What type of custom foot beds do you use? Do they have a rigid arch?

I understand you are working through book 1. I think you need to go back to chapter 4 - Release. Those exercise will target your tendency to start a new turn with a wedge. You need to be able to do these exercises before you start linking turns. Take video!

You will be able to develop angles sooner if you work through the exercises in the book in exercise-order and verify your progress with video.
Marc

Postby Skyblues » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Sorry and thank you for moving to the correct area of the forum.

The brand name escapes me at the moment but they are rigid under the arch. I took them out of the boot and tried skiing for a day but skiing seemed just as bad.

Thank you for the advice I will revisit those chapters again.
Skyblues

Postby Marc » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:20 am

How rigid is the foot bed arche? Are you able to press it down with your thumb (look at figure 12-8 book 1)? If not, don't use them for now!

And remeber to take video. As you have already learnt (great!), video doesn't lie, feelings and sensations does! Post a video of exercise 4.5 when you think the video shows you can do it as described. Or when you feel stuck.
Marc

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:42 pm

Skyblues,

Is that Mont Trembant?
noobSkier

Postby ErikCO » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 pm

Just a couple of observations. First, what is the under foot width of your skis? They look to be ~80mm. If so, that is going to seriously impede your rate of improvement. To learn tipping, you should have a maximum of ~72mm underfoot, preferably less than 70mm. Second, can we get video (and can you perform) of exercises 3-5 and 4-3 from book 1? I can't comment on alignment issues (don't have enough expertise) but those would be very helpful, if someone with more ability than I is not going to comment.
ErikCO

Postby Skyblues » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:19 pm

noobSkier wrote:Skyblues,

Is that Mont Trembant?

Yes, you're correct Tremblant. Impressed how you could recognise the resort from the short clip. You must have skied there a lot.
Skyblues

Postby Skyblues » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:22 pm

Cheers for the reply ErickCO.

I will try to post a video when I'm on the dry slope in the next week or so.

I will check the ski size as well.
Skyblues

Return to Movement Analysis and Video