MA request thread for JFD

MA request thread for JFD

Postby JFD » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:40 pm

I recently started learning PMTS. Bought some eVideo's. I am still waiting for the Expert Skier One. Got two already and reading it. FYI, I have been skiing for ~5 years. Took 3 lessons initially and then pretty much just ski'ed without actually doing much drills etc. Now, I am really into it and really want to become an "expert":). Here is the first video after practicing tipping and flex to release for multiple days. I want to bring my feet together but It seems difficult to do. What drills would help me resolve that? Thanks very much!

P.S. I am planning to use this thread to track my learning experience from PMTS:).
Last edited by JFD on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFD

Re: MA request thread for JFD

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 am

What boots are you in? Do you have an aftermarket or custom footbed?
Max_501

Postby JFD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:34 am

Max_501 wrote:What boots are you in? Do you have an aftermarket or custom footbed?

Thanks very much Max_501! My boots are K2 Spyne 110. I have a pair of aftermarket footbeds from SIDAS. Just checked that the heel part is thicker than toe part.
JFD

Postby JFD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Did tipping exercise a bit and my son took the video. FYI, my right femur was broken once when I was teen. I believe that caused my legs are uneven and right leg is a bit longer than left leg. Not sure if that caused my legs apart when I put down inside leg or maybe I stopped tipping?

Last edited by JFD on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JFD

Postby JFD » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:20 pm

JFD

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:19 am

Have you checked your cuff alignment?
Max_501

Postby JFD » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Max_501 wrote:Have you checked your cuff alignment?

Thanks Max_501. When I got the boots last year, I adjusted the cuff alignment by myself. I thought I am bow legged so I adjusted the cuff tilting outside all the ways. Didn’t think the boots alignment would impact my balance before. Now I am learning PMTS and knowing that now. Any good sources for adjusting the cuff alignment myself? Also I am planning to do a camp the coming season and would like to get a new pair of boots at HSS. Thanks again for reviewing my videos.
JFD

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:53 pm

This might help:

HighAngles wrote:The goal in cuff angle adjustment is to adjust the cuff angle so that it matches the tibia/leg angle. However, you can't really do this correctly until you have a proper footbed that puts your feet in the right position. If you have a good footbed, the process to get the cuff angle setup involves putting the footbed in the shell without the liner, then you put your foot in the shell (once again without the liner) and you adjust the cuff so that there is equal space between your leg and the cuff on both sides.
Max_501

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:01 pm

JFD...just a suggestion...I am not a certified PMTS coach, but have attended multiple camps including the alignment camp last October... you might want to focus the “simple” or regular phantom move before the super phantom.

And you may want to focus on flexing to release as well...

Tipping is SO fundamental to PMTS skiing and initiating a turn by FIRST tipping to the little toe edge is frustratingly hard to do right. Almost EVERYTHING in PMTS starts with tipping to the little toe edge. Your little toe and mastering the little toe edge is exceptionally powerful.

Trying to focus on the super phantom— lift and tip while riding the uphill little toe edge around the top of the arc is a LOT harder.

Heluvaskier has some GREAT videos on Youtube demoing both phantom moves. Greg makes it look effortless—unfortunately,it is not. I really like his videos and of course Harald’s and Diana’s are unmatched. I have watched all them a zillion times...

Listen to Max 501....he has a unbelievable eye— your cuff seems to be a little strong. I know it can be expensive and time consuming, but a trip to CO to the HSS for a proper alignment and boot fitting will make a dramatic improvement in your skiing. You may not need to buy a new pair of boots, but a correctly molded and fitted footbed is a GREAT first step to making the proper PMTS movements. Attending camps is the next step...and you can do both at the same time.

Good luck with your journey... TONS of invaluable info here on the forum.

Vailsteve
Vailsteve

Postby JFD » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks very much Max_501. I will give a try.

Max_501 wrote:This might help:

HighAngles wrote:The goal in cuff angle adjustment is to adjust the cuff angle so that it matches the tibia/leg angle. However, you can't really do this correctly until you have a proper footbed that puts your feet in the right position. If you have a good footbed, the process to get the cuff angle setup involves putting the footbed in the shell without the liner, then you put your foot in the shell (once again without the liner) and you adjust the cuff so that there is equal space between your leg and the cuff on both sides.
JFD

Postby JFD » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks very much Vailsteve for the remainder! Completely agreed with you. As a bad example as seen in the video below, I was trying to practice CA and then I ended up back to my old skills, extension to release, not tipping etc. I also realized that I really need to go slow starting from book 1 page 1 (just got the book 1 yesterday:). I will try to focus on the following initially besides the boots issue which hopefully can be resolved when I going to camp.

1. Being able to completely balance on one foot/leg.
2. Keep two feet together all the time (tuck and pull inside leg back).
3. Tipping all the way through the turn.
4. Flexing to release.

I think the hardest part is that sometimes I need to ski with my son together who doesn't want to go slow or just ski easy runs. Not sure how people work around it?

Vailsteve wrote:JFD...just a suggestion...I am not a certified PMTS coach, but have attended multiple camps including the alignment camp last October... you might want to focus the “simple” or regular phantom move before the super phantom.

And you may want to focus on flexing to release as well...

Tipping is SO fundamental to PMTS skiing and initiating a turn by FIRST tipping to the little toe edge is frustratingly hard to do right. Almost EVERYTHING in PMTS starts with tipping to the little toe edge. Your little toe and mastering the little toe edge is exceptionally powerful.

Trying to focus on the super phantom— lift and tip while riding the uphill little toe edge around the top of the arc is a LOT harder.

Heluvaskier has some GREAT videos on Youtube demoing both phantom moves. Greg makes it look effortless—unfortunately,it is not. I really like his videos and of course Harald’s and Diana’s are unmatched. I have watched all them a zillion times...

Listen to Max 501....he has a unbelievable eye— your cuff seems to be a little strong. I know it can be expensive and time consuming, but a trip to CO to the HSS for a proper alignment and boot fitting will make a dramatic improvement in your skiing. You may not need to buy a new pair of boots, but a correctly molded and fitted footbed is a GREAT first step to making the proper PMTS movements. Attending camps is the next step...and you can do both at the same time.

Good luck with your journey... TONS of invaluable info here on the forum.

Vailsteve
JFD

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi JMD... yes it can be hard to ski slowly on green runs when your son or friends just want to ski fast. Maybe you can break free for an hour or so and ski just by yourself. It is extremely important to learn to ski slowly in perfect control-- and it is quite difficult. Contrary to popular opinion, " fast skiing" is usually not good skiing. Centrifugal force hides a lot of sins.

Harald has mentioned many times, one mark of a good skier is his or her ability to ski a steep blue or black run top to bottom --and NEVER pick up speed. Watch one of his videos re: skiing slowly on a steep slope. His skiing is flat out poetry in motion...just unbelievable control. As is max 501, Heluva, geoffda and others.

Final thought-- forget about CA for now. Counter acting is probably the hardest movement master and it really is the final PhD of PMTS. Read some if the posts here by long time PMTS students on the difficulties of mastering CA...I know I have struggled with it for three years, and finally this year my hips are starting to work. Tipping and flexing to release are your first steps.

As MAX 501 and others constantly -- and yourself-- say, start with ACBAES book one, page one. And if you ever want to ski Vail, look me up! It is less than an hour from the Harb shop.
Vailsteve

Postby JFD » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi, Vailsteve, thank you so much. Yes, I will follow your suggestions to go slow:).
JFD

Postby JFD » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Just completed a blue camp on A-basin. The videos were from day 1 to day 4. From the video of day 4, it seems that CA would be my SMIM? My hip mobility is bad. Any dry land training to increase hip flexibility? Thanks very much for suggestions in advance:).

JFD

Postby tigernbr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:15 pm

JFD,

Several people here, myself included, do a number of the stretches outlined in the link below. When done regularly, they can really help with your hip flexibility and your ability to open up your hips.

https://www.prevention.com/fitness/g204 ... your-hips/
tigernbr

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video