MA request for noobSkier (Carvers)

MA request for noobSkier (Carvers)

Postby noobSkier » Thu May 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Hello again everyone! Im back at it...this time on Carvers. Thanks to the excellent and freely available DIY guide on the HSS website (another great example of Harald & Diana's dedication to this sport), I built a pair of Carvers that will do the job.

Some thoughts on the building process: Great CAD drawings and overall very easy to follow the guide. Hole & tap sizes are in decimal form so keep in mind that they need to be converted to standard fractions. Although aluminum is really soft, pre-drilling is essential (go as small as possible and use a drill press). A 3/4" bit for the front clamp holes costs about 50 bucks...just warning you. The suggested vendor for the rubber bumper has minimum order quantities and their ship times are ridiculous; order here instead: https://www.fixtureworks.net/store/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=999&idproduct=110428. The bumpers brake really well but they wear out in no time; buy at least 5. The axle washers are nearly impossible to find locally but they actually can be substituted with a metric M8 washer (stainless). Probably better to order the right washers though as the M8's are a little thicker and don't fit quite as well. ONLY cut aluminum with a non-ferrous cutting-wheel. When ordering your wheels make sure the bearings come with floating spacers because we are using 8mm axles. If you aren't tightening the front clamp with an impact driver or a ratchet then its not tight enough; I discovered this violently and abruptly.

I'm quite pleased with the final result (credit to HSS):

I really didn't think that they would be so much fun! I remember asking myself why the heck this isn't more popular...and then I remembered that CSIA/PSIA technique on carvers would probably end in pain. I was initially thrown off by how tight the radius is, but I would say now I'm pretty much used to it. It's shocking how unforgiving they are...I could hardly make a turn at first. Would love to get some MA feedback on my first clip. Thanks in advance!

I noticed that my right leg is getting away from me...is that alignment or not enough free-foot tipping?
noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier (Carvers)

Postby CO_Steve » Thu May 11, 2017 7:33 pm

What do you think you spent all together?

BTW. I looked at the design earlier. Do you feel the worm drive hose clamp is robust enough for the task? I was thinking about other options.
CO_Steve

Postby Max_501 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:03 pm

Have you seen this video?

Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu May 11, 2017 8:36 pm

CO_Steve wrote:What do you think you spent all together?

BTW. I looked at the design earlier. Do you feel the worm drive hose clamp is robust enough for the task? I was thinking about other options.

Yea Its definitely strong enough, it just needs to be installed properly. If you aren't tightening it very quickly like with an impact driver, then it tends to slide down past the lug. Its possible with a ratchet but you need to keep the hose clamp from sliding down by jamming it up with a screwdriver. Materials were about $200 (half of that for wheels), maybe another 100 for drill bits and tap (CAD).

Max_501 wrote:Have you seen this video?

I have seen this video! It was actually my inspiration for starting the project. With enough practice and hopefully some MA guidance, I hope to look more like SkierSynergy.
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Heres another clip from yesterday...I feel like my right leg turn is better here. All comments are welcome and appreciated!

noobSkier

Return to Movement Analysis and Video