MA for Robert

Re: MA for Robert

Postby Robert0325 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:12 am

Totally happy with both yours and Max's comments, it's just that being an Engineer I'm hard wired to asking why!
I undertand it all now and know what I have to do to progress.....
thanks again all
Robert0325

Postby Max_501 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm

If you want to understand "why", study the PMTS Instructors Manual and all the relevant posts on the forum (there are many).
Max_501

Postby Robert0325 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:11 am

Max_501 wrote:If you want to understand "why", study the PMTS Instructors Manual and all the relevant posts on the forum (there are many).

The “why” was more in reference to “why” the Super Phantom for my SMIM, which has now been answered to my satisfaction. But yes I take your point about the reference material, it’s one of the reasons I turned to, and have stuck with PMTS.
Robert0325

Postby Max_501 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:50 am

Robert0325 wrote:The “why” was more in reference to “why” the Super Phantom for my SMIM, which has now been answered to my satisfaction.

The Super Phantom can't be your SMIM because it's not a single movement.

I suggested mastering the Super Phantom because the skiing in the clips lacks the PMTS fundamental RTE movement pattern that should be the result of working through Book 1.
Max_501

Postby Robert0325 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:18 am

Ah, ok, thanks for the correction Max. I'm going to try and get me video'd doing the Super Phantom before next season at an indoor ski slope and submit for MA.

Jeet - If you're following this thread, how do you fancy helping me with some filming at Hemel? Last time I tried at MK some "jobs worth" threatened to throw me off the slope if I continued trying to film.
Robert0325

Postby Obrules15 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:36 am

Max_501 wrote:If you are already making PMTS movements but not doing enough of a movement then the MA will tell you to tip more, CB more, or whatever more. However, if you aren't making the movements then the MA will suggest working on drills for tipping, counter acting, etc. Generally there isn't any short cut of 'just do X' and you'll be doing the PMTS movement. Now, you might be doing something minor that is inhibiting a PMTS movement, for example dropping the inside hand which causes you to lose the CB you had or stopping the tipping to the LTE which causes you to lose the tipping you had. But in those cases the PMTS movement was already there and then lost due to X so the MA can address this. But, if a skier is starting a turn with a slight stem the fix is to move to tipping rather than stemming. There are various drills one can do to learn tipping and the books have detailed step by step instructions on how this is best accomplished. Therefore, you'll often see the MA say go back to Book 1 and work on the drills in the book and verify the outcome of those drills with video (because we can't rely on feeling).

Max,

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I was looking for!
Obrules15

Postby Jeet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 am

Robert no problem. You can catch me in the snow centre on the weekends from 8am to about 12pm. Happy to stay longer if you cannot make it that early. Perfect time to come down, slopes are practically empty and snow is very good.

Just come back from the himtertux camp so got plenty to work on we can share ideas too.

I will PM you my number.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Ken » Fri May 05, 2017 3:34 pm

Robert, a suggestion...at the beginning of next season, on a beginner slope, make one movement at a time. Know each element of the Super Phantom movement and do them on a slope so easy that you have all the time needed to make each movement successfully. As you see each elemental movement working as we know it does, and you feel the reaction, you can gradually increase the tempo. Meld them together into a smooth combined movement of everything done just right in sequence. Get them right first, then get them quicker and on steeper snow. Don't start on the steeper, or even moderate, slope where you need something done quickly. On the easy slope make the movements to the full range, more than you'd need on the easy slope. p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ Perfect Practice Makes Perfect.

Many of us have our own first hour (or first half-day) practice on the beginner slope where we wake up the brain cells and muscles that have been dormant all summer. All the movements need a bit of activity to brush off the rust even though we seem to have them down pat. When still learning the movements, give yourself a chance to do them just right where the slope is the smallest possible factor. Repeat, repeat, repeat. When you do a drill so many times that it is working correctly and your mind is drifting to other topics, you're beginning to learn it and can now move to the next movement in the sequence.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video