MA request: new to PMTS, where shall i start?

MA request: new to PMTS, where shall i start?

Postby Janikest » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:08 pm

Hello guys,

As i am new to PMTS, it would be better if some more experienced skiers comment my skiing and pinpoint my top difficulties.

This video is painful to post. The slope was icy and i when it is like that, i fear to lose my edge on every turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv5GkaU ... e=youtu.be

Help me becoming a better skier :D
Janikest

Re: MA request: new to PMTS, where shall i start?

Postby DougD » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:54 am

Good job posting video. As we said on your first thread, video does not lie. I was equally horrified when I saw my first videos. Like all skiers from traditional teaching systems (TTS), your skiing relies on many movements that are less efficient/effective than we try to learn in PMTS.

NOTE: I am not a qualified PMTS coach or expert.

Max_501 (PMTS coach) provided the following MA checklist:

Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? Not consistently. More often, you release the stance ski by standing up on (extending) the inside leg.

Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? No. You lead engagement by dumping your hip inside. There is no LTE tipping.

Are the feet pulled back at transition? No. Your inside ski slides forward at transition.

Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? No. Your inside ski leads the outside ski throughout the turn.

Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? There is no CB, just leaning inside. CA is better than most TTS skiers, though more/earlier is needed.

Strong inside arm? Better than most TTS skiers.

Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? There is no CB. The CA includes the pelvis, but is initiated late and appears jerky or forced. I believe this late/jerky hip CA results from the hip dump you use at the top of the turn to engage the new edges

Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses? No. This essential PMTS movement is missing.

Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? No. The outside leg is already fully extended at the top of the turn. From there, it can only flex. This impedes tipping, impairs your ability to manage edge pressure over terrain irregularities and gives your skiing a stiff appearance.

Does LTE tipping continue throughout the turn? There is no LTE tipping.

Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? Some turns yes, some no. The movement and timing are better than most TTS skiers. HOWEVER, since you release by extending and engage by hip-dumping, your pole touch is probably acting as the trigger for these movements. This will make it difficult to learn correct movements. Most TTS skiers (including me) must stop planting their poles altogether for many ski days to break their old movement pattern.

Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs to be tipped in or out? You ski in an A-frame, on both sides. This makes an efficient narrow stance and LTE tipping impossible. It also puts you at risk for knee strain or injury. The cause may include any or all of the following: improperly fitted boots, improper footbeds, incorrect canting beneath the boot soles. A full assessment by a boot fitting expert is ESSENTIAL. Your current setup will prevent nearly all progress.

Single Most Important Movement
The first movement PMTS skiers must learn is tipping. With your current boot setup, this will be difficult or impossible. Therefore, I recommend a visit to a qualified boot fitter. These are much rarer than you may think. 95% of ski shops have no idea how to fit and align a skier properly. The only PMTS-certified shop in Europe that I've seen mentioned here is Portes du Ski in the Netherlands. I strongly recommend contacting them for boot fitting and alignment. DO NOT IGNORE THIS STEP. The earlier you do this, the faster you'll progress.
DougD

Postby Janikest » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:17 am

Doug, thanks a lot for your insight!

I am practising tipping movements at home to get used to the sensation. I will start from the beginning of the phantom move to understand how it is done properly.

Regarding A frame, i notice that i often have it even in good conditions, if i don't pay attention. I have apparently a "knock kneed" alignment.

For bootfitting, i have probably underestimated the importance of boots, although the inside of the boot has been redesigned according to my feet.
Netherlands is far away, if anyone has an idea about where to find a competent French bootfitter i would be glad.

Once again, Doug, thanks a lot for your detailled analysis. The imperfections strongly show up here on an icy slope, but from your message i understand that most of my technique is faulty.
Janikest

Postby DougD » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 am

Janikest wrote:I am practising tipping movements at home to get used to the sensation. I will start from the beginning of the phantom move to understand how it is done properly.

Excellent. In fact, it's best to start with ACBAES1, page 1, and do every drill in order.

Regarding A frame, i notice that i often have it even in good conditions, if i don't pay attention. I have apparently a "knock kneed" alignment.

Yes. HH describes knock-kneed skiers and their challenges in Chapter 12 of ACBAES1.

For bootfitting, i have probably underestimated the importance of boots...

Everyone does. Until you've skied in a correct setup, it's difficult to imagine the difference it makes. My feet/legs are more neutral than yours, yet I could feel an immediate improvement just standing in the shop. You will feel a bigger one.

You've made a good start. Good luck!
DougD

Postby skijim13 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:47 am

Very hard to really see what is going on since the video does not give good information. Read the section here on how to get good video. My wife and I take videos with a video camera with variable focus and zoom ability. The road to PMTS skill development starts with the fact that you can't mix it with the way you were taugth by traditional ski instructors with PMTS. I would start with the Expert I book and video and do all the drills until you have mastered them. If you need help post the videos on this forum. It is very easy to do the drills wrong without the feedback of a good coach. I can tell you from experience you need to work on the tipping of your skis on and off edge and become good at this skill to use PMTS for making turn. All rotary you may have learned to use to make turns must be taken out of your skiing. You are on the road to really making an improvement in your skiing.
skijim13

Postby Bob_Y » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

Hi Janikest,

Your biggest problem is that you are putting virtually all of your weight on your inside ski.

If you look at your video you can see where your body is essentially lined up over your inside ski.

To answer your question, I would recommend starting with the "Phantom Move". This will make you transfer your balance to the outside ski and enable tipping of the free foot (or inside ski).

Work on this drill and see if your apparent knock-kneed condition improves. If you struggle with tipping the inside foot during this drill you may need some alignment/boot work.

Bob
Bob_Y

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Max_501

Return to Movement Analysis and Video