MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Work on balancing on the LTE of the uphill (inside) ski and CA. Pick your favorite drills for both and hammer those. Then work on slow one footed releases (get video).
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Nice to see you working on the TFR. Watch how HH does them in the video on ACBAES 2. He comes to a complete stop on each one, without moving his pole form the original position. When you can do 10 in a row perfectly, coming to a stop each time and without picking up the non stance ski (which you are doing in mostly every one) then you can progress to linked TFRs. To link them before that is a just a means of using momentum to help. Your tipping, and CA are not nearly strong enough to pull these off.

Keep working. Maybe work CA and tipping drills and the go back.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Will do. Thanks for the instructions Max_501 & jbotti!
noobSkier

Postby bmoose21 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:51 pm

In the last video you're having trouble balancing on the LTE without some new stance leg extension... if you work on holding CA at the end of the turn it will help with that balance. Use a cue that you can observe like attempting to get your inside hand over your ski tip (while maintaining a level home base position). Old free foot/new stance foot pull back helps as well.
bmoose21

Postby jbotti » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm

bmoose21 wrote:In the last video you're having trouble balancing on the LTE without some new stance leg extension... if you work on holding CA at the end of the turn it will help with that balance. Use a cue that you can observe like attempting to get your inside hand over your ski tip (while maintaining a level home base position). Old free foot/new stance foot pull back helps as well.

It’s very tough (impossible) to hold CA when there isn’t any to begin with.
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:45 am

jbotti wrote:It’s very tough (impossible) to hold CA when there isn’t any to begin with.

I agree! We have to learn to move our hips to create CA before we can hold CA during the transition.

NoobSkier, it looks like there is a balance issue on the LTE but we don't know why. It could be something with the footbed/alignment, it could be movement based, or a combination of those. If you are going to skip alignment for now, I'd suggest working on tipping drills with a focus on balancing on the LTE and holding that balance for a moment before making the edge change. You want to eliminate the habit of going to the BTE before the new inside ski is tipped. Once you are conformable on the LTE then work on building a rock solid super phantom. NOTE: if footbed/alignment is not correct then it will be more difficult to maintain balance on the LTE. In that case you can still work on getting the new inside foot tipping before the new outside foot is tipped to the BTE but you may have to keep both skis on the snow (you can lighten rather than lift). Also, you appear to have knock-kneed alignment so that is already working against you when it comes to delaying BTE engagement.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for your comments. I know what CA feels like, but I had read something about how it's not required for the TFR so I wasn't using any CA and trying to perform the excersise with ankle movements only. Now that I'm focusing on it, my LTE balance improved dramatically...the OFR has been helping alot..damn that's a hard excersise! I'll post clips of my progress this weekend or Monday possibly.
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:38 am

I'm also drilling phantom javelin and spending a second on the LTE before tipping the inside foot, it's quite easy I don't seem to have any difficulty with it so maybe my alignment is functional? I'll get some clips of that one too.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:38 am

We always want to see some degree of CA. And when practicing we exaggerate the movement.

Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:54 am

Here is a question, is it acceptable to use some inversion of the uphill foot when drilling OFR's? Or should it be solely eversion of the lifted downhill foot?
noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:09 am

noobSkier wrote: I had read something about how it's not required for the TFR

Proof that you can't believe everything that you read!! Generally we try to keep the info on this site correct and that's why we will make corrections to commentary. If we are trying to have CA in place at the end of every arc (in transition, all the time) how could we possibly practice a releasing drill with no CA in place? (That"s a rhetorical question :D).
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:17 am

noobSkier wrote:Here is a question, is it acceptable to use some inversion of the uphill foot when drilling OFR's? Or should it be solely eversion of the lifted downhill foot?

The goal is to achieve an o-frame which happens when both skis are on the LTE at the same time.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:32 am

I do like the question but I think the answer is an obvious and simple, "no and yes."
In other words, one would not need mirror exactly what HH looks like while he skis but one would need to employ all PMTS basic techniques in order to be a PMTS skier. I mean, to me, the proper movements are either there or they're not, i.e. as in how Diana skis vs HH. Different in their appearance but consistent in their the use of technique. The same could be said of other accomplished PMTS skiers.

I totally agree; for example, Marcel Hirscher skis completely with PMTS movements. Richie Berger skis with PMTS movements, Reilly skis with PMTS movements. We all look different. I have never advocated that any skier should look like I do on skis. Max is a great skier, however, I never told him he needs to look like I do on snow. We all look different, we all have different bodies, different flexibility in our joints, yet we add our own personal variations to achieve efficiency with the "Essentials of Skiing" and PMTS movements. If you watch Jonathan Ballou of the PSIA Demo Team, he doesn't ski with PMTS movements, and it obvious.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:35 am

What I find interesting is watching and studying my skiing over the last 15 years. Because I have so much video documented, it's easy to notice that my skiing changes over the years. Is it better or worst, no, it changes due to my equipment and physical needs?
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am

Max_501 wrote:
noobSkier wrote:Here is a question, is it acceptable to use some inversion of the uphill foot when drilling OFR's? Or should it be solely eversion of the lifted downhill foot?

The goal is to achieve an o-frame which happens when both skis are on the LTE at the same time.

I can get to the o-frame, but sometimes the skis don't start to slide until I invert the uphill foot...or rather relax it so that it slowly tips to the BTE
noobSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video