MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks for your comments jbotti & dewdman42. Obviously I know that my SMIM won't change overnight, the intent was more to make sure that I'm not doing anything egregiously wrong (other than not showing enough CA). And jbotti, you are preaching to the converted! As you know, I'm trying to get to welch this year and contrary to what it might seem I have read the materials and am trying to stick to the progressions (not sure if that part was directed specifically at me). In any case, I apologize if frequent MA requests are burdensome to members of the forum...if I had the skills to self coach, I would post less frequently. If we could set some ground rules, it would be helpful on my end (once a week?).
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

noobSkier wrote:Obviously I know that my SMIM won't change overnight, the intent was more to make sure that I'm not doing anything egregiously wrong (other than not showing enough CA).

Practicing the releases without addressing the CA issue first isn't a good idea because you are getting better at doing them incorrectly which builds bad habits that are difficult to remove later.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm

Ok, heres a question about that. I can do the CA excersises with a locked edge, and I can kill them. Should I try them with a brush to reduce CA assistance from a locked edge?
noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:37 pm

noobSkier wrote:Ok, heres a question about that. I can do the CA excersises with a locked edge, and I can kill them. Should I try them with a brush to reduce CA assistance from a locked edge?

Based on the photos you posted showing your hip ROM I am going to doubt your claim that you "kill" hip CA, ever! If you can't start a TFR from a static position (when you have something to push against) and show enough CA so everyone can see it and say Yes, you aren't where you think you. I suggest re-reading the Perception vs Reality thread.

You've got a Blue level PMTS coach telling you to go work CA until you master it and you are basically disagreeing with him. Why post video and pictures if you won't take the coaching?
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:50 pm

jbotti, I would never disagree with Max_501's coaching. Im just looking at what's the best way to practice my CA exercises. CA assistance from a locked edge is a verified issue with my skiing. I respectfully retract my "kill them" comment until I can provide video.
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 pm

I also want to add that while it's not everyone's cup of tea, I appreciate the tough love. Judging by the sheer quantity of advice (and private advice), I know everyone contributing wants to see me succeed. The time you guys take out of your day to contribute to my thread is hugely appreciated and I hope one day I can buy each of you a beer.

Edit: maybe a case for you max_501 :lol:
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:23 pm

So I've been following a stretching routine to improve my Hip CA, here are some angry mothers and tuck turns. In the last clip I'm trying to use hip CA only (no upper body CA)...looks like its still constricted and causing me to bail out of the turn early. Would love to get your thoughts...as usual, all comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Maybe I'm missing something... but why are your poles between your legs in the tuck turns?
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Good obersvation Heluva, looks like noobSkier strikes again with another bastardization of an exercise...
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:39 pm

I wrote this 2 years ago.

Max_501 wrote:Take a step back and slow the skiing down so momentum can't mask missing essentials.
Max_501

Postby tigernbr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:21 pm

Max_501 wrote:I wrote this 2 years ago.

Max_501 wrote:Take a step back and slow the skiing down so momentum can't mask missing essentials.

I am far from an expert but before I saw Max’s comment, I thought to myself, why is he skiing so fast? Slow it down and really emphasize the movement you are working on. In my last camp this past December, other campers repeatedly said they could perform the exercises better with speed. My reply to them was if you can’t do the exercises slowly, you can’t do them fast. You are merely masking your problems with speed.

My recommendation is to watch the Angry Mother video 1. Forget trying to link turns right now. Try traversing across the slope in both directions as Diana does during the first part of the video. Post video of you doing that.
tigernbr

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 pm

I hear you guys. And thanks Max_501 for reiterating. I was trying to do these with a locked edge and probably picked a slope that's too aggressive. Will do better...
noobSkier

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video