MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby mardale » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 pm

I see a big push to release in each of the last 4 videos - the only one that doesn't have it is the edge locked 4. Why not go back to that one and add tipping and balance to it? Is the hip (lack of) movement preventing tipping?
mardale

Postby noobSkier » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Mardale,

Personally I don't see a "big push" to release. What I do see though (which HH and max501 kind of alluded to) is a push on the stance ski to get earlier pressure due to lack of edge angle in the high-c. I could be wrong here, so I'd appreciate some experienced eyes to weigh in!

As for edge-locked 4, I privately received some positive feedback on it from someone that noone would contend with (trust me). But, I'm still curious, what makes you say there's no tipping in that video? It looks like textbook tipping to me... clearly one of us is wrong lol. Again, a qualified opinion is welcome!

Please don't take this as a defense of my own skiing, im just interested in your point of view and why it's at odds with mine!
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 am

I don't see tipping as the SMIM.
Max_501

Postby DougD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:41 am

Since the video you posted back in November (the one where HH provided several movements to work on "more", and commented on your feet being locked together) I see progress in all the areas he mentioned, including tipping.

I don't see a big push to release in any recent videos, so I'm also curious what movements mardale is interpreting as that.
DougD

Postby noobSkier » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Although this thread was created to elevate my own skiing, Im fully aware that many will use my videos as an opportunity to improve their MA skills...I welcome it!!

Mardale, I would suggest going back and truly immersing yourself In HH's literature...there are no shortcuts! I think it's also important to watch hours and hours of good skiing. This kind of "burns" correct skiing movements into your mind, which sort of helps you identify when something looks "off". I've actually compiled a pretty big YouTube playlist...when I find the time to organize it, I'll make it publicly accessible.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 pm

As both HH and I suggested in the straight ski thread, there is a heel push in this skiing. It's not as pronounced in these vids but it's there. NoobSkier, start from the beginning of this MA thread and read the posts from Geoff, HH, and I. Then look at your skiing as if it was someone else. How much of the previous MA still applies?

I'd suggest that you get video of slow one and two footed releases so you can readily see the movements.
Max_501

Postby mardale » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:14 pm

Hey mate,

Right you are - I'm trying to learn as much as possible from the MA threads - let me see if I can back-track through my thought process.

Going back to Harald's post in Nov, where he had asked you to work on "more" of:

1. A rounder turn, more curve in the turn, more finish across the falline.
2. This requires more tipping and inside leg flexing.
3. This will require more leg flexing at the release.
4. Notice in your short turns the upper body leans in the same direction as the ski angles, this should be reversed, for CB.

You posted edge locked 4, where I thought the flexing was much better, but I was not sure that tipping is working well.

So, that video showed 3 and maybe some of 2. Not 1, in my mind, although the turn is certainly rounder than before.

Then you posted the BPST videos, where 3 falls apart - I thought you're pushing to release, but it was explained as because of not enough angles. In "bpst-1" for instance, I see a heel push to an edge set and then an extension to get off the edges. If you play this in slow motion it's quite visible I think (set the speed to 0.25) :

https://youtu.be/Vmb7qjFqgVA?t=12s

Where... you had lost 3 as well as any of 1 and 2. "bpst 3" got a little better tipping wise, I thought, but leg flexing at the release was still maybe occasional (watch this one in slo motion https://youtu.be/bfxdvW2-zOA?t=27s).

So, I was wondering why you shouldn't go back to where you had at least 3 working and some of 2 and continue from there, in the order from the list... but... I am not a PMTS coach, I was wondering why the focus shifted to the pelvis. And you are getting qualified feedback and guidance, which you should follow.
mardale

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:30 pm

mardale wrote:...I was wondering why the focus shifted to the pelvis.

The goal with PMTS based MA is to find the Single Most Important Movement (SMIM). Nearly everyone can use more of this or that, but there is always a SMIM that should be addressed before adding more of everything else. So if we move the SMIM from X to Y it's because Y has become the SMIM. In very short turns the skier must have excellent control of the pelvis for CA/CB. If those are lacking chances are good that the skier will use some form of rotary to make the short turns.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:28 am

Max_501 wrote:As both HH and I suggested in the straight ski thread, there is a heel push in this skiing. It's not as pronounced in these vids but it's there. NoobSkier, start from the beginning of this MA thread and read the posts from Geoff, HH, and I. Then look at your skiing as if it was someone else. How much of the previous MA still applies?

I'd suggest that you get video of slow one and two footed releases so you can readily see the movements.

Obviously this is beyond my MA abilities, but here it goes. My first thought is that a heel push implies a tipping deficiency in the high-c, but since you already stated that tipping isn't the SMIM I think it's a timing issue in flexion/extension. If that's the case, then I'm starting the extension of the stance leg too early in the arc. The solution then, would be to be more patient with the extension in order to setup the hips for a more balanced and progressive extension of the stance leg.
noobSkier

Postby bmoose21 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Nice skiing! What a huge improvement when I went back and watch the earlier videos compared to the BPST-3 video.
Not sure how to identify a 'heel push' in that video... I don't see it. Some pivoting looks to me like its due to counter and the skis being light in transition (for example at :29-:30)
bmoose21

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:04 pm

bmoose21 wrote:Not sure how to identify a 'heel push' in that video... I don't see it.

Both HH and I (just a Blue level PMTS coach) see it. Have you attended any PMTS camps yet?
Max_501

Postby bmoose21 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:45 pm

I wasn't saying it isn't there, just said I'm not sure how to identify the heel push from that last video--it didn't seem obvious to me, so I figured it must be pretty subtle. Maybe not though. Can you (or someone) explain how to identify it in this case?
As an example one thing I found that was super helpful was a post on 'hip dump' that talked about the hip moving laterally into the turn ahead of everything else. The whole idea that if the hip sort of leads movement to the inside of the turn instead of the lower leg it would indicate at least some pushing off of the stance foot vs. leading with the movements at the bottom of the kinetic chain. That got me focusing on my feet inside the boot and noticing that it doesn't take very much push-off, and that it also seems to relate to problems with counter balance or level hips. (incidentally this also got me doing weird things like trying to pick up a cup of coffee by focusing on the top of the kinetic chain first -moving my upper arm, then fore arm, then hand and fingers-really makes you look ridiculous) Anyway I didn't notice that same thing here, so I'm wondering how to determine?

As for me no haven't attended camp, they've been completely booked since I started going through the books etc.
bmoose21

Postby h.harb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:54 pm

I don't see a big classic tail push. However, there is an extended period of time when the skis are flat and they change directions while flat. The tails of the skis do move uphill before the new turn comes to an edge angle. The new turn high C is without ski tipping or engagement before the skis get on to an angle at the falline. There is some extension of the upper body and lifting of the outside arm during the transition, which contributes to the delay in ankle/boot layover. The right boot is also misaligned. My estimation is some cuff adjustment and lateral canting will make a big difference. I'll put up some comparison photos for you to look at. In general, the poles could be much closer to the snow, helping with a lower more flexed transition.

You can now see the comparisons in my Blog Post with this link.
https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks HH, I'm so honored to be on your blog :mrgreen: Ill make your suggested changes to my alignment and try to fix my movements. Hopefully part 2 will be a case study in improvement!
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 am

noobSkier wrote:Hopefully part 2 will be a case study in improvement!

You've already been improving at an incredible rate proving that hard work, video, and posting for MA can really work.

Try to get some footage where you are brushing at a much slower speed. Like the linked releases from ACBAES 2. This makes it easier to see the movements.

If possible have your camera operator follow these instructions:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x-12x zoom which will help with image stability. Disable the digital zoom in the camera menu. If your camera has an optical zoom that exceeds 10-12x try to find a function that locks the zoom at 10x (or as close as you can get).
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video