MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:33 pm

noobSkier wrote:I can get to the o-frame, but sometimes the skis don't start to slide until I invert the uphill foot...or rather relax it so that it slowly tips to the BTE

Video should show why that is happening.
Max_501

Postby bmoose21 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:20 pm

noobSkier wrote:I can get to the o-frame, but sometimes the skis don't start to slide until I invert the uphill foot...or rather relax it so that it slowly tips to the BTE

Not sure if this is the issue without seeing it, but check that your hips are not locked and unable to move towards/over your skis while you are holding CA. One takeaway I had from the short turn camp earlier this year was to think of this movement as allowing CB to relax while holding CA and tipping the free foot. Our group spent some time just working on releasing to a sideslip with that movement.
bmoose21

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:25 pm

bmoose21 wrote:Not sure if this is the issue without seeing it...

You are newer to the forum so may not be aware of the following guidelines:

1 - we don't throw darts hoping one will hit the bullseye. I could have given Noobskier many reasons why his LTE isn't releasing but what good would that do? Show me the video and I should be able to see if it is movement based or an obvious alignment problem. Subtle alignment problems can be at play but they are much harder to track down from video alone.

2 - our personal movement challenges often do not apply to other skiers. HH has written about this a few times because skiers go to a PMTS camp and come here thinking everything they worked on applies to everyone else. Even in a group setting PMTS is targeted with each student getting personalized instruction. That said, camp reports are well received by forum readers and I'd urge you to write one for the camp you attended.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks for your comments HH, Max_501 & bmoose21. Although I was drilling OFR's all day, I was unable to get the uphill LTE to release with only LTE tipping of the lifted downhill ski. Some relaxing/inversion of the uphill ankle was required. Unfortunately I forgot my camera today...hopefully I can film those clips this weekend. I have to say, although I've dabbled in these slow exercises, I've never tried to perfect them like this...and its infuriating :lol:
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 pm

noobSkier,

One thing you will find, is that at slower speeds, especially the stationary OFR and TFR are DIFFICULT (next to impossible) if your boot setup isn't correct. I spent hours (I mean, painful, brutal, awful, long hours [Max is probably thinking right now... yeah suck it up wuss... do you want to be good or not :lol:]) doing stationary OFR and TFR releases with Max over several years with minimal progress until I fixed the boots. I will tell you, nothing is more frustrating as an expert skier, than to be given a simple drill that you're incapable of doing because of your boot setup...

If you go to Welch, get help on your alignment... In the meantime the HSS alignment manual is the best $15 you'll ever spend.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:59 am

HeluvaSkier, I have used the alignment manual to get my setup to where it is. Im canted 4deg out on left boot, and 3deg out on right. Max_501 says I'm still knock kneed so at least Im going in the right direction. Im not going to say my TFR's are working now, but now that I'm using CA they have become a lot easier; OFR's though... :roll: Video should show what's going on...if my ski buddy is up for it, I should have those clips tomorrow. Thanks for your advice HeluvaSkier.
noobSkier

Postby Vailsteve » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Four degrees out?? That is a huge amount!!

I am NOT an alignment expert but I have taken the alignment camp last year, and have watched/participated in several dozen full alignments over the past year.

I would try to understand why you would need 4 degrees to get your foot flat. if Max501 says you are still knockkneed, I absolutely believe him, but something is going on....

Is your footbed a Harb footbed? (Way too many non-Harb footheds lock the foot in place, and inhibit the ability of the foot to roll in and off an edge. A too hard footbed can also affect the alignment of the foot in your boot..)
When standing on just one footbed and then the other, are you balanced and not wobbly?
Is the cuff cant centered on your leg? Or in other words, Is the cuff pushing your leg in and your are trying to.push your leg out with a 4 degree shim , effectively fighting each other?
Is there enough canting range of adjustment on your boot? (Do you need a Harb replacement T nut?)
Is there room in your boot to evert your foot to tip onto an edge? (Like Geoffda's alignment, I had this issue -- not enough room in my new R3 boots-- as well)
Have you balanced on the slant board? This is a phenomenal test before final on snow assesment...
Have you done the basic straight run test on snow?
Are you using any heel lifts or spoilers in the back of your boots?

Again Max501 is a LOT better judge of alignments than I, and I understand that you are doing this on you own.
It's not easy without a separate pair of eyes.

Anyway, just some thoughts that may help as your work your way through this....
Vailsteve

Postby noobSkier » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks for your post Vailsteve. Ill answer your questions sequentially but I've already decided not to mess with it (too much :twisted: ) anymore until I can get the pros to look at it.

Is your footbed a Harb footbed? (Way too many non-Harb footheds lock the foot in place, and inhibit the ability of the foot to roll in and off an edge. A too hard footbed can also affect the alignment of the foot in your boot..)

No, but the ones I have seem to conform to the rigidity requirements...I can press the arch all the way down without too much force.

When standing on just one footbed and then the other, are you balanced and not wobbly?

Feel balanced on both.

Is the cuff cant centered on your leg? Or in other words, Is the cuff pushing your leg in and your are trying to.push your leg out with a 4 degree shim , effectively fighting each other?

They were centered initially before the canting...but I have since tried many combinations of setups. I went as low as 2deg on each boot last year, but I found I was getting on the BTE very quickly and unable to create higher angles.

Is there enough canting range of adjustment on your boot? (Do you need a Harb replacement T nut?)

I suspect no, but to be seen.

Is there room in your boot to evert your foot to tip onto an edge? (Like Geoffda's alignment, I had this issue -- not enough room in my new R3 boots-- as well)

I suspect yes, but to be seen.

Have you balanced on the slant board? This is a phenomenal test before final on snow assesment...

Have not.

Have you done the basic straight run test on snow?

Yes, and I have the videos! In all these clips I'm between 3-4 deg out on each boot.
https://youtu.be/1dxas8sXz_M
https://youtu.be/Arr_GI_Lk6U
https://youtu.be/CREF45oWrDs

Are you using any heel lifts or spoilers in the back of your boots?

I have a 5mm heel lift, and the Head stock spoiler. I find this comfortable...I think I have long femurs. I've tried more spoilers, but found the skis twitchy.
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Here are some OFR's from today.

noobSkier

Postby bmoose21 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:13 am

Tipping looks good... I could see one instance where you rolled to the BTE ahead of the LTE however, so working on producing the o-frame earlier-- exaggerating is probably a good thing at this point. To do this you might try to lift the tail less (to me it looks like it is interfering with your CA and making it harder to allow you to tip enough early on to get to the O frame). You can also try from a traverse on the LTE as well.
bmoose21

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:06 am

noobSkier wrote:Here are some OFR's from today.

This is what we like to see! Great job on taking a step back and slowing things down.

Compare your hip movement to Diana's demonstration in this clip.

Next time you do these try to point your zipper down the hill before you release.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks for the tips Max_501 & bmoose21...will work on it. Here is a clip of my phantom javelin...sorry for sh*ty camera work, I slowed down some of the shaky parts. Must of done 10 of these runs perfectly, camera comes out and I slip on two ice patches :x

noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:23 pm

noobSkier wrote:Here is a clip of my phantom javelin...

Rather than MAing these (which are too much of a jump forward) I'd suggest going back and perfecting the one footed release.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Got it. Was practicing OFR's today with what you said about hip angle...it feels like its improved considerably. Should have some new clips next week. Thanks Max_501!
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Here are some OFR's and TFR's from today. I started feeling pretty comfortable with OFR's so I would occasionally mix in some TFR...please let me know if this was premature.

noobSkier

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video