MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Thank you HH! By the way I took some angle off the right boot and it feels so much better...like words can't describe. I can't wait to confirm the improvement with video!
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Here are a few clips of me trying to brush slowly...I'm focusing on early tipping.

Here is a bonus one of me skiing the bumps terribly, but to my credit they were very deep and very close together! Advice is welcome!

noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 pm

noobSkier wrote:Advice is welcome!

A friend of mine (someone I train) is going to be in Tremblant for the next week. You should ski with him.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:A friend of mine (someone I train) is going to be in Tremblant for the next week. You should ski with him.

What a bummer...I have a 10 day work conference that I'm leaving for tomorrow. Its like the only time that I can't ski :x Won't miss those march-break lineups though.
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Two early clips...the second might be too fast/poor quality for MA but I wasn't aware that I was being filmed for that one. I realize that neither of these clips are the preferred format for MA (no back shots) but its what I've got :mrgreen:. Any comments/advice welcome... the harsher the better, I don't have feelings :)

noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:31 am

There is not much wrong with the turns in the brushed video except it’s not PMTS skiing. When you spray that much snow in each arc it’s because you are edge setting and pushing on the tails. We want the skis to brush from extreme LTE tipping and some hip CA. Slow then down and really work on creating the brushing from these two forces. At first you will not be able to snap off quick SRTs but once dialed you will be faster than what you are doing now.

If you can do one footed releases perfectly practice these and work up to slow linked OFR’s. If you aren’t able to do these perfectly doing tipping drills and CA drills and slow brushed carving using the correct movements.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm

Thanks jbotti, I'll work on this. Maybe you can clear something up for me. When I do short brushed turns like in the second video, I get very strong rebound that sends me right into the next turn. In other words, it's not the LTE tipping that gets me there, it's more the rebound. Of course I still tip the LTE to control the inside foot and devolop angles but there's so much energy from the rebound that it seems like the LTE tipping is secondary. When I ski slower, there is far less rebound and LTE tipping is back in the driver's seat, because the rebound alone will not send me all the way into the next arc.

So my question is this: Would a pmts skier always ski at a speed and turn radius where the rebound is secondary to LTE tipping or is my underlying assumption incorrect?
noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Its very hard to to tell much definitively from the video because the Videographer is too far away. Having said that in a high quality PMTS brushed carve turn the skis start displacing/brushing right at the top of the arc and brush through the arc and often edge lock carve the last portion on the turn. You are getting no snow blowing off your skis until close to the apex when a big spay occurs. This is typically what we see in a high quality TTS or PSIA brushed turn (although they are usually tipping less that you are). This usually means some form of an edge set combined with juicing the tails some.

When I work on my brushed carving i am shooting for no moment in the turn when there is more pressure against the snow that at any other point in the turn. You are definitely getting or creating more pressure at that point that you create the spray.

Its even possible that you are doing the movements mostly correctly because a too strong cuff or poorly aligned boot can cause some of this as well. High level alignment via video is above my pay grade and you would need better video anyway.

Everything we do in PMTS should be done perfectly at very slow speeds. Slow speed work is the grand equalizer because when we take away momentum only correct movements done perfectly will get the desired result.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks jbotti, I will definitely get some better video of slower skiing. It's interesting what you said about feeling even pressure at any point of the brushed carve and locking an edge in the bottom half of the arc. Thats exactly what I feel when I'm doing longer radius brushing, but I can't ski with that radius in truly awful conditions like in that second clip. Its hard to tell from the video but that slope was pure ice and ball bearings mixed in with some scarped off snow. I find in these conditions I default to a shorter radius with a harder hit (but stronger rebound) because the skis just get knocked around with anything less than that kind of pressure. So essentially instead of progressively increasing tipping and hip CA for a gentle brush, I crank it all the way to immediately absorb the hit. Ive not yet found another way to consistently get speed control in outrageously bad conditions.
noobSkier

Postby SkiMoose » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:02 am

There is not much wrong with the turns in the brushed video except it’s not PMTS skiing

I'd just like to address this, as I've seen it said several times on the forum. At what point in a skiers progression is it considered "PMTS skiing"? I fully understand this comment for someone that has not really started to integrate PMTS movements into their skiing, but for anyone who has spent a lot of time working through the books and doing drills specific to PMTS movements, this statement seems unfair. Do we all have to ski like HH for it to be considered PMTS skiing?

As for the actual MA, I don't necessarily see a big heel push in the high c, it's hard to tell from this far at this speed whether the pivot comes from tipping and CA or an active push or twist. What I do see is a lack of edge engagement in the high c. Which causes you to get your speed control only in the second half of the turn. It seems like due to the greater forces in turns like these you are not getting your weight transferred to your LTE prior to transition, and maintaining that balance through the top of the next arc. Greater flexion of the old stance ski might be helpful so you don't get catapulted up and away from the snow. I would slow down and practice some garlands or super phantom on a slope like that to practice that weight transfer.
SkiMoose

Postby RRT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Do we all have to ski like HH for it to be considered PMTS skiing?

I do like the question but I think the answer is an obvious and simple, "no and yes."
In other words, one would not need mirror exactly what HH looks like while he skis but one would need to employ all PMTS basic techniques in order to be a PMTS skier. I mean, to me, the proper movements are either there or they're not, i.e. as in how Diana skis vs HH. They are distiinct in their appearance but consistent in their use of technique. The same could be said of other accomplished PMTS skiers.
RRT

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:59 pm

RRT is corerct, it is about the movements one uses to make the turn. If a skier uses active rotary (sometimes called juicing the skis) to get the skis around then by definition it can't be PMTS skiing. That is why you'll see so many suggestions to take it down a notch and get the movements working at slower speeds.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks for all your comments. I've pledged to myself to only ski slowly until Im getting consistent high-c engagement.
noobSkier

Postby bmoose21 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:11 pm

One thing to look at in the 'brushed' video above is not the size of the plume but also the shape and direction of displacement. If you look closely most of the turns above displace a plume that is somewhat comma or hook shaped above the fall line, indicating some level of high-c engagement. This is consistent with many of the high energy PMTS short turns on a steep slope that I've seen, and it can be contrasted with what you will typically see with a rotary edge set based turn that only engages in the fall line -- the shape of that kind of plume is more linear and usually appears a bit less uphill of the skier.
Also the size of the plume might be misleading with regards to movements, as that has a lot to do with how consolidated the snow is, how much energy is involved etc.
bmoose21

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

bmoose21 wrote:If you look closely most of the turns above displace a plume that is somewhat comma or hook shaped above the fall line, indicating some level of high-c engagement.

I don't know what you are looking at but on my screen there isn't any plume to speak of in the high C portion of the turn.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video